Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
veb on UCF wrote:

LuaFX alpha has been released!

Lua is now more stable and the file librairy has been written.

The French version is available here: http://www.planet-casio.com/Fr/logiciels/v...l&showid=83

I asked some people to translate it and I hope the english version will soon be available.
Wrong subforum. Moved.
I don't see how this is related to the Prizm... as far as my tiny French knowledge goes, and as far as Google translate could help, LuaFX doesn't run on the Prizm but only on Graph 75/85/95 and 100+
gbl08ma wrote:
I don't see how this is related to the Prizm... as far as my tiny French knowledge goes, and as far as Google translate could help, LuaFX doesn't run on the Prizm but only on Graph 75/85/95 and 100+


The cool point is that it could likely be translated with relative ease compared to porting Lua from scratch to the Prizm. And either way, it's cool news in general to hear about other Casio Calc hacking.
Yes, indeed Smile but in that case, the OP should have pointed that out.
KermMartian wrote:
Wrong subforum. Moved.


fx9860!=fxCG10
seana11 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Wrong subforum. Moved.


fx9860!=fxCG10
It's closer to the Prizm than to "General Open Topic".

At any rate, I do indeed hope we can port a Lua interpreter over to the Prizm, so that we can have the native code that the Nspire wishes it could run (without Ndless) and the Lua as well.
I'd look at what the Rockbox project guys have done with their Lua interpreter: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/PluginLua

Sure, digital audio players and calculators don't have much in common, but I'd just point that as an example of a Lua interpreter on fixed-point systems with limited memory. They also developed their own libraries so scripts can interact with the OS (something that would have to be done for the Prizm too).

Personally, and after having coded in Lua a bit, I feel it is much better than any sort of BASIC. But that's just my opinion, of course.
I really like lua... I played around with it on the 9860. Now that the alpha is out, I may program some more for the 9860. One of the great updates in this alpha is the addition of file access libs. Now we can read/write files to storage mem!
gbl08ma wrote:
I'd look at what the Rockbox project guys have done with their Lua interpreter: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/PluginLua

Sure, digital audio players and calculators don't have much in common, but I'd just point that as an example of a Lua interpreter on fixed-point systems with limited memory. They also developed their own libraries so scripts can interact with the OS (something that would have to be done for the Prizm too).


Wow, I have RockBox on my Sansa clip+!!! And I thought I was the only one who knows about it!. Very Happy
seana11 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Wrong subforum. Moved.


fx9860!=fxCG10
The subforum is "Casio Prizm/FX Development & Programing", and I'm pretty sure the fx9860=An FX calculator.

As for the actual project, this is pretty neat. I'd personally rather see a different language on the calc (Python maybe. Or C#. C# would be my favorite), but the more doors open the better.
merthsoft wrote:
seana11 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Wrong subforum. Moved.


fx9860!=fxCG10
The subforum is "Casio Prizm/FX Development & Programing", and I'm pretty sure the fx9860=An FX calculator.

As for the actual project, this is pretty neat. I'd personally rather see a different language on the calc (Python maybe. Or C#. C# would be my favorite), but the more doors open the better.


Python on a calc would be awesome! But I haven't seen it on any calcs, not even TI's. I wonder why?
flyingfisch wrote:
merthsoft wrote:
seana11 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Wrong subforum. Moved.


fx9860!=fxCG10
The subforum is "Casio Prizm/FX Development & Programing", and I'm pretty sure the fx9860=An FX calculator.

As for the actual project, this is pretty neat. I'd personally rather see a different language on the calc (Python maybe. Or C#. C# would be my favorite), but the more doors open the better.


Python on a calc would be awesome! But I haven't seen it on any calcs, not even TI's. I wonder why?


Python's a lot larger than Lua, and slower.
flyingfisch wrote:
Python on a calc would be awesome! But I haven't seen it on any calcs, not even TI's. I wonder why?
The Python interpreter is quite large once you pack all its depencies with it, and I can't seem to find any alternative implementations of the interpreter that would be appropriate. Sample topic:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/6bc526d7328bd804?pli=1
Orly? p14p requires about 50k of program memory on an AVR, but doesn't come with any libraries (in this case I believe they count __builtins__ as a library, too), but supports most of the features of standard python. It's certainly doable, and maybe even useful given some platform-specific library implementations (in C). I don't think porting CPython would be too bad either, but it may have unacceptably large runtime memory requirements (p14p requires only 4k of memory to run at a basic level).
Wow, then my Google-Fu failed miserably on this one. Smile Thanks for that, Tari, that looks very promising.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement