Bored at my grandparents house and had five minutes to kill before we start a puzzle *yay*. So thought I'd ask a quick question so I might have replies when I get home later.

I'm using a 120V AC to 12V DC power converted I scavenged off of an old router. So now that I have the 12V DC I need for my project;
Now what about ground?

Can I use the wire with "-" signs all over it as a ground for all the pieces in my project or?

Here's my circuit.
I'm probably not qualified for a double post, but it's regarding my post above.

I tested the adapter with my multimeter;
I secured the wire with the -'s on it to the black tester, and the other wire was secured to the red tester. I got -12v DC. So does this mean the side with the -'s down it is actually positive? Thanks;
Josh
The power supply's + terminal should be 12V higher than the - terminal. That is to say that if you use the - terminal as ground (which is typical) then the + terminal is +12V. If you were to use the + terminal as ground then the - terminal would be -12V.

I'm not sure how that's marked; the striped lead might indicate the positive side, not the negative side, though you can confirm this with your multimeter.

Op-amp circuits usually require a dual-polarity power supply, that is one that provides a ground, a positive supply and a negative supply. This is easily achieved by using two batteries:

Code:
  .---o +9V
  |
-----
 ---  9V
-----
 ---
  |
  +---o 0V
  |
-----
 ---  9V
-----
 ---
  |
  '---o -9V

However, if you only have a single-voltage power supply then there are some techniques to generate the negative voltage from the positive one - an easy solution is to use a ICL7660 chip as that does most of the hard work for you.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours