Questions...

1. Is there a Create () bcall that can be used, regardless of filetype?

2. Does rst 20h advance hl?

3. Is there a bcall that can be used to execute a program, regardless of being TI-Basic or asm? (_ExecutePrgm)? And does it return to the calling program when done?

4. Is there a way to RLE compress/decompress a program without having both in RAM?
^bump ^bump
umm... Anyone?
ACagliano wrote:
Questions...

1. Is there a Create () bcall that can be used, regardless of filetype?
No. If you read TI's System Routines PDF, you'd see that. You have to call different Create calls based on the var type, especially since things like Reals and Pics go in the SymTable and things like AppVars and programs go in the VAT.

Quote:
2. Does rst 20h advance hl?
Huh?

Quote:
3. Is there a bcall that can be used to execute a program, regardless of being TI-Basic or asm? (_ExecutePrgm)? And does it return to the calling program when done?
There's the DCS call RunProg. That's your only option.

Quote:
4. Is there a way to RLE compress/decompress a program without having both in RAM?
"Both"? What both? You can decompress a program from Flash to RAM, and compress from Flash to RAM. You can't write to Flash one byte at a time unless you feel like unlocking Flash.
1: I had a feeling, I was just hoping for a hack or something. Wink

3: Ok, I shall use that. Does it work for both TI-Basic and z80 nostub?

4: I'll repose this when I figure out what I meant by it.

2: Ok, say this code for instance...

Code:

ld hl,saferam1
rst 20h

does hl now point to saferam1 still, or to saferam1+9?
1. If you're clever, you could write a fairly small one for yourself. Smile
3. Yes. It works with every type and state (archives/RAM) of program that Doors CS itself can run; Doors CS calls the same call.
4. Sounds good
2. I have no idea, check the System Routines PDF (see the pattern?) Wink
Question: I know that the VAT and the symbol table are separate. Are they configured the same? If not, how is the Symbol table configured?
What about CreateVar (documented at http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title=83Plus:BCALLs:4E70)? It seems that it should at least be able to create programs, protected programs, and appvars correctly, though I'm not sure how generally it works.
ACagliano wrote:
Question: I know that the VAT and the symbol table are separate. Are they configured the same? If not, how is the Symbol table configured?
Wrong. TI use the term "Symbol table" in most of their documentation, while we tend to prefer "VAT".

fingers crossed that my memory is right on that..
TI is very confusing, because "FindSym" looks in the table that contains reals and such, while "ChkFindSym" looks in the symbol table, the one with programs, appvars, groups, and custom-named lists.
Ok. But, how are they set up. Like, in the VAT there is a pointer to the start of it, then there is a data format, like T1, T2, Name field Size, ect. Is the symbol table the same way?
Read page #52 (page 62/188) of the TI-83+ SDK PDF.
Since this is like the 150th time you've told me to look at it, I'm assuming I should probably download it at this point.
I have another question.

Suppose that I am running an Application and have pointers returned to two appvars that I read and write to. During this time, I use only saferam and I do not create any new programs or appvars, nor do I change the sizes of them. Will the locations of said appvars remain constant?
ACagliano wrote:
Since this is like the 150th time you've told me to look at it, I'm assuming I should probably download it at this point.
You don't say! Rolling Eyes
ACagliano wrote:
I have another question.

Suppose that I am running an Application and have pointers returned to two appvars that I read and write to. During this time, I use only saferam and I do not create any new programs or appvars, nor do I change the sizes of them. Will the locations of said appvars remain constant?
If the application does not return, you don't create, resize, or delete and programs, lists, groups, or appvars, and you don't call any bcalls that would do any of those things (or open the Edit context), then those appvar locations will remain valid.
Quick question guys... Where is it that I can find in-depth reference materials on Interrupt programming and Hook programming in assembly for z80 TI's?
ACagliano wrote:
Quick question guys... Where is it that I can find in-depth reference materials on Interrupt programming and Hook programming in assembly for z80 TI's?
Tari and/or I keep meaning to re-write ASM in 28 Days' interrupts section. As far as Hooks, WikiTI has the most in-depth information.
Sweet. I'll check out WikiTI. How about the Link Port? And how are everyone's projects going around here?
ACagliano wrote:
Sweet. I'll check out WikiTI. How about the Link Port? And how are everyone's projects going around here?
Projects are all going well; feel free to look in the Your Projects subforum and comment on specific projects with suggestions, questions, or feedback. How about the link port?
KermMartian wrote:
ACagliano wrote:
Projects are all going well; feel free to look in the Your Projects subforum and comment on specific projects with suggestions, questions, or feedback. How about the link port?

Yeah... any documentation on how to use it anywhere?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours