Hi, I'm looking to make an install program for an eventual distribution of a game I'm working on. I'd like something like InstallShield, but I want a free solution. Basically what I'm looking for is to have the user download one program, the install program, and it extracts/installs/whatevers the program, makes a shortcut, et cetera to make things easier user-side.
Does distributing a group file that the user can ungroup not appeal to you? ACagliano was working on an installer similar to what you're describing, but I don't think he ever made significant headway into it.
honestly, I’m not sure if I even “need” an installer. My original idea was just to distribute the binaries, but I tested out a recent build on a (admittedly, extremely old) computer in the band room at school, and it said something about how it wasn’t installed correctly, so I don’t really know.
KermMartian wrote:
Does distributing a group file that the user can ungroup not appeal to you? ACagliano was working on an installer similar to what you're describing, but I don't think he ever made significant headway into it.

I'm pretty sure he wants something for Windows, not an 84+. I would pick something from here: http://www.hlrnet.com/frprinst.htm

Though, if I might be nosy, if you're wondering about this for your game you're making, I suggest not worrying about the setup/building/dezipping part of it for now Razz
Honestly, I think making your own installer would be the easiest solution (and you'll probably learn more from doing so). I've tried looking at a few installers for Galagaman, and I didn't really understand how they worked. :/ I was thinking about making my own installer, but decided against it since I didn't have much time left for the contest.
Look into using WiX, with which you can build an MSI installer file. It has a high learning curve, but you can also find a number of front-end GUI's to make it easier to use. I actually used one at work for a project but I can't remember the name of the program off the top of my head.

Best of all: it's free!
Don't WinRAR and 7-zip let you create installers?

There is also Clickteam's installer creator that does the job well, if you don't mind the Clickteam text ad at the end of the install process.
Whoops, my mistake on what Buttsfredkin's target platform was. For Windows, I think I would also recommend rolling your own for the learning experience.
I love using NSIS. However, it does require some scripting, but as a result, it's a LOT more powerful and customizable. (Basically, it's like writing a program - you write the NSIS installation script and compile it. In it you will tell it to include files, etc. The compiled file is the installer.)

If you really don't want to spend time writing the script (believe me, there's tons of template scripts that you can copy from!), there's HM NIS Edit, which has a handy wizard for creating installers without using scripts.

EDIT: I should also mention that it's not as scary as you think it is. Smile Indeed, it sounds like some command line mess making, but in reality, it's very much GUI! There's context menu integration - all the *.nsi files (the NSIS scripts) have an option to compile in the context menu. Plus, the NSIS GUI displays compiler output, and offers build options.

Yes, there's no IDE, but this thing works well without one. Smile (I use Notepad++ for editing, so you may want to give that a try.) Of course, HM NIS Edit is also available for editing, and is more integrated like an IDE.
alberthrocks wrote:
Yes, there's no IDE, but this thing works well without one. :) (I use Notepad++ for editing, so you may want to give that a try.) Of course, HM NIS Edit is also available for editing, and is more integrated like an IDE.

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/EclipseNSIS_-_NSIS_plugin_for_Eclipse
ah, alberth and seana11 many thanks for telling me about that, it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours