As some of you might know, I'm running suse linux on my laptop because windows doesn't like me.
Now, the problem I have is with minecraft:
I run the usual terminal command(java -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp /home/[my username]/Documents/minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame &), and everything works fine, until it decides to freeze my laptop up completely, requiring a forced reboot.
Is there any way to fix this?

TIA Very Happy
turiqwalrus wrote:
As some of you might know, I'm running suse linux on my laptop because windows doesn't like me.
Now, the problem I have is with minecraft:
I run the usual terminal command(java -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp /home/[my username]/Documents/minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame &), and everything works fine, until it decides to freeze my laptop up completely, requiring a forced reboot.
Is there any way to fix this?

TIA :D

Describes symptoms. What causes the freeze? Do you do anything before?
I can't figure out what causes the freeze, as everything runs perfectly fine until it locks up and the screen freezes, at which point I can't find a problem anyway...
And doing anything before, I had Firefox open, and nothing else.
Please be sure to check memory usage from inside of Minecraft. Also, make sure that your laptop has enough physical RAM. If it is using swap space and the swap runs low or your swap partition's read/write speed is too slow, things can start to lock up.
turiqwalrus wrote:
I can't figure out what causes the freeze, as everything runs perfectly fine until it locks up and the screen freezes, at which point I can't find a problem anyway...
And doing anything before, I had Firefox open, and nothing else.
In addition to AHelper's suggestions, I would leave htop (or top) open in a terminal next to your Minecraft window and keep an eye on it; as AHelper said, if you start using swap, then you don't have enough physical RAM.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours