So I converted a song on the converter and then I save the text as an .asm file in the "source" directory in the doorsCS sdk.

When I run the compiler, I get this error (this is the whole window):

Quote:
----------------------------------
Doors CS Assembler\Compiler
Version 2.0
Written by Kerm Martian
http:\\www.Cemetech.net
----------------------------------
----- Assembling tetris for the TI-83/84 Plus...
Brass Z80 Assembler 1.0.4.11 - Ben Ryves 2005-2006
--------------------------------------------------
Assembling...
Pass 1 complete. (140ms).
Pass 2 complete. (2ms).
Writing output file...
Errors: 0, Warnings: 0.
Writing list file...
Done!
File "C:\Users\######\Desktop\Stuff\Downloads\dcs_sdk\asm\tasm\binpac8x.py"
, line 51
fho.write(bytearray(b'**TI82**')) #byte 00, length
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
----- tetris for the TI-83/84 Plus Assembled and Compiled.
TI-83 Plus version is tetris.8xp

What do I do?
It looks to me as if your binpac8x.py got corrupted somehow. Can you pastebin your binpac8x.py? Where did you get it from?
I got the doorsCS sdk from here: http://www.cemetech.net/news.php?year=2010&month=8&id=403

I also had the same files in a .zip in the doorsCS 7.0 download.

And here is the pastebin: http://pastebin.com/gezaCNs0

Thanks!
KermMartian wrote:
It looks to me as if your binpac8x.py got corrupted somehow. Can you pastebin your binpac8x.py? Where did you get it from?

I suspect the problem is that he's running an incorrect version of python. I had the same issue the first time I tested out your version of binpac8x.
elfprince13 wrote:
I suspect the problem is that he's running an incorrect version of python. I had the same issue the first time I tested out your version of binpac8x.

Yes, looks like he's running python 3, since the 3.0 series no longer accepts 0nn octal literals.

Kerm: fix it! Using 0onnn for octal works in older Python versions (just tested with 2.7, at least). Failing that, at least check sys.version_info at startup and complain loudly if it's incompatible.
Err, but you're both talking about a number that is part of a comment. There's no reason whatsoever that Python should be trying to read those numbers; look at his Pastebin.
Derp. The second portion of my reply still applies, anyway. Using incompatible python interpreters is an unfortunately common error.
Tari wrote:
Derp. The second portion of my reply still applies, anyway. Using incompatible python interpreters is an unfortunately common error.
Luckily, binpac8x.py is written to work properly on both 2.X and 3.X Python versions after I ran into hiccups of my own during development and switching between the two.
KermMartian wrote:
Err, but you're both talking about a number that is part of a comment. There's no reason whatsoever that Python should be trying to read those numbers; look at his Pastebin.

Take a look at the page source of the quote (reformatted in a code block to preserve whitespace):

Code:
    fho.write(bytearray(b'**TI82**'))                           #byte 00, length
                                  ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

The caret is actually pointing at the end of the b'**TI82**' string. I don't know Python well enough to say what the exact error is, but I'm guessing it's still a version incompatibility.

clovervidia: you should use [code] tags instead of [quote] tags when pasting blocks of anything that is code-like, such as program output.
Use [code] tags?
Sure thing.
I'm just new around here, I'll do that next time.
clovervidia wrote:
Use [code] tags?
Sure thing.
I'm just new around here, I'll do that next time.
Based on the good point that Christop observed, what version of Python are you using?
2.4, according to my Start menu
That's pretty old.. try updating to the latest 2.7.
Tari wrote:
That's pretty old.. try updating to the latest 2.7.
Definitely agreed. I think that the binary literal type was only introduced in 2.5 or 2.6, which would explain the problems. Smile
I just downloaded 2.7 and I'm still getting the error.
An interesting note: when I right-click the binpac8k.py, it defaults to opening with python.exe, however, this is the python.exe from 2.4, and when I try to change it to the one from 2.7, it reverts back to the 2.4 one.
clovervidia wrote:
I just downloaded 2.7 and I'm still getting the error.
An interesting note: when I right-click the binpac8k.py, it defaults to opening with python.exe, however, this is the python.exe from 2.4, and when I try to change it to the one from 2.7, it reverts back to the 2.4 one.
Any way you can uninstall Python 2.4, then? Smile I think the installers don't necessarily uninstall the old versions, as you seem to have discovered.
I'm looking in Control Panel and the Uninstall Programs, I had python installed for a class for use with a robot, so I also got a ton of extra libraries, so I'll try the uninstall python link in the Start menu.
All right! Got it to compile! Now I have a new problem, the .8xp is not recognized by mobileTunes as a "music file", per se. It is recognized as a regular program.
clovervidia wrote:
All right! Got it to compile! Now I have a new problem, the .8xp is not recognized by mobileTunes as a "music file", per se. It is recognized as a regular program.
How big is the program? Is it at least a few KB?
It appears to only be 1kb, thought that might be the smallest unit Windows shows.

Never mind, on second thought, it is actually 76 bytes.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours