Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
I just want to say that this is amazing revolutionary idea! Smile

(and yay for HTML 5, etc.!)
shkaboinka wrote:
I just want to say that this is amazing revolutionary idea! Smile

(and yay for HTML 5, etc.!)
Thanks! I'm really excited about it as a ground-breaking Cemetech feature.
o.O! Me likey - especially because Wabbit doesn't like me.
Rot8er_ConeX wrote:
o.O! Me likey - especially because Wabbit doesn't like me.
Well, it's not a total substitute for a computer-based emulator (yet), mostly because I haven't started writing the debugger yet, but I certainly aim to make something very powerful for people on the go or who can't install software.
Do you plan to utilize Google Gears (if that's still around) to enable an offline mode?
comicIDIOT wrote:
Do you plan to utilize Google Gears (if that's still around) to enable an offline mode?
I do not. However, assuming that people's browsers do decent caching, the emulator will be able to continue working if you leave jsTIfied open in a tab and disconnect from the internet. It will even save state to your localStorage properly if you close the tab.
I'd look into Gears or similar. If I recall correctly, it caught outgoing URL's (i.e. jsti.cemetech.net) and redirects the browser to the offline cache when disconnected from the net. Allowing users who prefer to shut down laptops when traveling compared to simply closing them, to still access jsTIfied.
comicIDIOT wrote:
I'd look into Gears or similar. If I recall correctly, it caught outgoing URL's (i.e. jsti.cemetech.net) and redirects the browser to the offline cache when disconnected from the net. Allowing users who prefer to shut down laptops when traveling compared to simply closing them, to still access jsTIfied.
It's a good idea, but don't users have to install it? If part of the point is to prevent users from needing to install something like WabbitEmu, it seems to me that making them install Google Gears defeats the purpose. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
I'd look into Gears or similar. If I recall correctly, it caught outgoing URL's (i.e. jsti.cemetech.net) and redirects the browser to the offline cache when disconnected from the net. Allowing users who prefer to shut down laptops when traveling compared to simply closing them, to still access jsTIfied.
It's a good idea, but don't users have to install it? If part of the point is to prevent users from needing to install something like WabbitEmu, it seems to me that making them install Google Gears defeats the purpose. Smile
That's a good point, but in my opinion so many people have Internet access anyway that offline access should only be a last resort, and something like Google Gears would serve that purpose well, since it's the user's choice to install it if he thinks he needs it.
Isn't Gears gone at this point?
elfprince13 wrote:
Isn't Gears gone at this point?
Also my thought. And a third point - I believe I was under the mistaken impression that Google Gears required minimal to no intervention on the website's side to work properly, as long as it could cache the source, images, and Javascript for the page in question.
So many points! Ha.

Gears is/was an option back in the day and it was useful - I think it could even synchronize when an internet connection was reestablished, which did wonders for Google Docs - but at this point I think it is a discontinued service but likely still available. It can be as simple as a client side install or as complex as a sever/client asynchronous communication.
Then with all due respect, I'll ignore it for now. Smile

To keep everyone updated on the small amount of progress I've been able to thread into my work, life, and book-writing, I discovered that JSON serialization does not work well on Javascript objects at all, much to my frustration.
What went wrong with the JSON?
<3 so If I understand correctly you would only need to set a rom once? Or does it need to be re-chosen every time?
willrandship wrote:
<3 so If I understand correctly you would only need to set a rom once? Or does it need to be re-chosen every time?
As long as you don't change browsers, it only needs to be chosen once, and it gets saved in your browser's DOM Storage (localStorage).

Elfprince: Objects that contained functions got trashed, and trying to work around that created a lot of awkward clunky code. I'm a bit stumped what to do other than pulling the objects into pure-data objects and pure-functions objects, which is lame.
KermMartian wrote:
Elfprince: Objects that contained functions got trashed, and trying to work around that created a lot of awkward clunky code. I'm a bit stumped what to do other than pulling the objects into pure-data objects and pure-functions objects, which is lame.

Ah, that sucks =(
Very nice, this gives me another reason to learn Javascript.
Unless it has its own special Javascript since its on a calc?
But still very great work!
hellninjas wrote:
Very nice, this gives me another reason to learn Javascript.
Unless it has its own special Javascript since its on a calc?
But still very great work!
Well, it's a calculator built in Javascript, rather than Javascript implemented on a calculator. Smile But thanks!

Elfprince: True story.
That's really awesome. I'll just upload one into my private dropbox so I can use it wherever Razz then I set it up on a per-pc basis if I need to. (I doubt I'll need a calc emu on the go very often, but better safe than sorry!)
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement