But I wouldn't even know where to begin.
Thats adorable.
On second thought that'd be a really cool summer project.
My eeePC already has a custom assistant software package I wrote; I'd love for it to be able to roll around and follow me or something. Very Happy Sarah, I keep changing your topic titles to be more descriptive; please take the hint.
KermMartian wrote:
My eeePC already has a custom assistant software package I wrote; I'd love for it to be able to roll around and follow me or something. Very Happy Sarah, I keep changing your topic titles to be more descriptive; please take the hint.

Then I get yelled at for making ones that are too descriptive. MAKE UP YOUR MIND *bops on the head with a calculator*
You could use some basic servo's connected to pcb. Use some basic stamp editing to set the servo runtime. You could have one servo for each axis, X Y and Z. Smile
I don't even know what servos are. As such I probably cannot make this.
Servo = Servo motor. A servo motor is an automatic device that uses error-sensing feedback to correct the performance of a mechanism. Definition pulled from google Smile
Very neat, you'd need to tweak the design though. The web cam won't stay on very easily and once it's knocked off, it's SOL. I suggest modding the hamster ball to have three parts: the two sides will spin and the middle will be free-floating and contain the camera. This will also enable the ball to turn.

I do dig the use of the AIRTRAX wheels though.
XKCD sucks. Let's stop discussing it.
allynfolksjr wrote:

I finally started reading it and it's amazing.
Sarah wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:

I finally started reading it and it's amazing.
It excellent at one point in my life, but I and many other Cemetechians feel that over the last two or three years, it has gotten quite poor indeed.

Comic: The two halves suggestion is a good one, and you could even still have the computer bridging both halves without any major problems. I don't really see why the camera has to be outside in the first place, come to think of it.
Agreed. The free-floating center would allow the camera to be internal.

The only downside is that the center would be the only part on the ground, which is where the XKCD design prevails. If the hamster ball was clear, I could see the web cam being inside the hamster ball.
Yeah, agreed. I'm actually fairly surprised that no one put this project together already somewhere on the internet.
I don't see why you'd need a separate webcam. The EeePC has one of the best internal webcams I've ever seen.
DShiznit wrote:
I don't see why you'd need a separate webcam. The EeePC has one of the best internal webcams I've ever seen.
A very solid point indeed, sir. I'm surprised none of the rest of us thought of that. You'd need a good way to hold the screen in position inside the hamster ball, then, although I can't imagine that would be too big of a deal.
What if a Kinect was used? With a bit of coding and a Kinect, it could act like its friend (the Roomba) and be able to navigate around obstacles. The Roomba did do that, didn't it? It would also be able to accept specific motions as commands, though I personally think vocal commands would be better, so long as they aren't phrases used commonly.
technomonkey76 wrote:
What if a Kinect was used? With a bit of coding and a Kinect, it could act like its friend (the Roomba) and be able to navigate around obstacles. The Roomba did do that, didn't it? It would also be able to accept specific motions as commands, though I personally think vocal commands would be better, so long as they aren't phrases used commonly.

The Roomba didn't/doesn't have the cameras a Kinect has. It instead remembered the layout of a room through touch. It would calculate how far it traveled from it's dock and put each point of contact as a "waypoint" Eventually it would learn walls/tables.

A Kinect is also massively huge. It wouldn't fit in a hamster ball nor would you be able to supply enough power to it from something the size of a hamster ball.
comicIDIOT wrote:
technomonkey76 wrote:

The Roomba didn't/doesn't have the cameras a Kinect has. It instead remembered the layout of a room through touch. It would calculate how far it traveled from it's dock and put each point of contact as a "waypoint" Eventually it would learn walls/tables.

A Kinect is also massively huge. It wouldn't fit in a hamster ball nor would you be able to supply enough power to it from something the size of a hamster ball.

In addition, most kinect API functionality deals with catching the movement of things, and the shape of humans, not as much detecting the rest of the world around. Unless, of course, you want to write routines like that yourself!
I just want to point out that with the Roombas I have worked with, they use rudimentary wall-following and obstacle avoidance and detection, but do not make a map of the space in which they're moving.
Oh, perhaps I'm thinking of a different device. I'll search around for it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours