I have found a program that will allow me to make a nice GUI for a PC-based PokeModr (Glade). I am currently getting the boxes to edit stuff in right now, but I am wonder how I could make variable limits on spin buttons and how to gray out parts when they are unneccessary. And using it to edit sprites would be nice too.
You making in linux only? or did you find a windows-port of Glade? (the "real" glade is gnome + GTK+ fer *nix only, but i'm sure there are ports of it out there...).

If you are planning to develop it for windows, i would suggest using wxWidgets instead. GTK is awesome on linux, but sub-par on windows, and GTK apps in windows look out of place, and have to re-invent alot of what windows can do natively. (and as a result, it is slower as it doesn't use native dialogs)

from http://www.gtk.org/api/2.6/gtk/GtkSpinButton.html :

Code:
gtk_spin_button_set_range ()

void        gtk_spin_button_set_range       (GtkSpinButton *spin_button,
                                             gdouble min,
                                             gdouble max);

Sets the minimum and maximum allowable values for spin_button

spin_button�:   a GtkSpinButton
min�:   minimum allowable value
max�:   maximum allowable value

Always bookmark the API reference Wink http://www.gtk.org/api/2.6/gtk/index.html
I'm running Glade fine in XP right now. I had been looking for that documentation earlier, but wasn't able to find it. I'll try wxWidgets and see what I can do with that.

Edit: Well, I don't know C++ that well, but I'll see what I can do with it to make it work...
/me makes note to self: learn C++ and wxwidgets.
/me makes note to self: 2 weeks till I can start learning C/C++
? Why do you have to wait?
well....I dont have too....but Ive got a exam week coming up, and then next semester Ill be taking it as aclass
Ouch...I finished exams the Monday before Christmas. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Ouch...I finished exams the Monday before Christmas. Smile

I like exams, they boost my grade, and I get A+'s on them without studying.
Aye, ditto, except for really hard subjects. Smile
Such as English. Bad Idea Always my worst class.
I surprisingly tend to pwn English, although Math can present problems...probably because I'm programming instead of paying attention. Very Happy
lol, how did this go from PokeModr to exams?

Anywho, I was top 14 in my state between Math and English for the graduation exams, which has like several thousand students... Very Happy I didn't study either...
Well, I'd like to call an OT call.

If anyone wants to know what I did in MathCOunts, just read my bio on my site.
kirb wrote:
I'm running Glade fine in XP right now. I had been looking for that documentation earlier, but wasn't able to find it. I'll try wxWidgets and see what I can do with that.

Edit: Well, I don't know C++ that well, but I'll see what I can do with it to make it work...

its a win32 glade port Wink

As for knowing C++, if you knew enough C to work with GTK, then it won't take long to learn enough C++ to use wxWidgets Smile

wxWidgets also has some GUI designers, with DialogBlocks and wxGlade coming to mind...

Just to understand why i'm arguing for wxWidgets, open up GAIM (or the GIMP) in windows, and you'll notice alot of the dialogs (like open-file) look out of place in windows, and don't match the ones of, say, notepad (which uses the standard windows dialogs) This is because GTK doesn't use win32 native dialogs, and instead has its own. wxWidgets is different in that it uses as much native stuff as it can (threads, network calls, GUI, pictures, etc...), so that it blends seamlessly into the current OS (it will even arrange the YES-NO-CANCEL buttons in pop-up dialogs to be in the OS's "accepted" arrangement Very Happy )
Just for the record, GIMP's / GTK's win formatting really sucks, with the multiple windows and all.
KermMartian wrote:
Just for the record, GIMP's / GTK's win formatting really sucks, with the multiple windows and all.

thats a design choice, not a fault with GTK for win Very Happy (thats how most linux apps are. rather than being bound into a container, they are free floating - you get used it it eventually, although sometimes it can be annoying...)
that explains GAIM's use of the taskbar. I hate that, but can't run Trillian on the lappy
rivereye wrote:
that explains GAIM's use of the taskbar. I hate that, but can't run Trillian on the lappy

What's wrong with GAIM's taskbar? (refresh my memory of what you are talking about, its been awile since i've used trilli or GAIM in win)
it is not the taskbar of GAIM, it is the program taking up space on the taskbar. Maybe I got too used to Trillian sitting in the system tray.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours