Ashbad wrote:
Well, the one thing about LabVIEW that gets me (besides the 2D programming style -- can get *VERY* messy if done by unorganized person), is that the compiler/interpreted code (I'm not sure which one it really is) running on the cRIO is *really* slow compared to the others. For non-programmers though, it is nice it exists, it still allows newbie to create a decent Autonomous/Teleop system Smile

Yea I remember when we were usig labveiw our first year, the code just go so large and unorganized and it took so long to do, significantly longer then when I did it in java the next year. Also going to the slower part, at our reginols te entire time we were tring to work out a approximate 10-15 second lag time between the controllers and the bot. We eventually got it running in time for nationals tho ( we got rookie all-star and website awards( my website Very Happy))
Nice Smile Our team (FRC) didn't get to Nationals at all last year, but the year before we were able to demonstrate our robot in front of the President of the United States himself in a test run "exhibition", along with almost nabbing Regionals.
Ashbad wrote:
Nice Smile Our team (FRC) didn't get to Nationals at all last year, but the year before we were able to demonstrate our robot in front of the President of the United States himself in a test run "exhibition", along with almost nabbing Regionals.

That must have been an amazing experience!!

Our team has gone to nationals for the past 2 years, and our Logomotion robot was a great success. This year, we won 2 regionals, but we had a pretty pathetic showing at nationals, we didn't even make it to the semifinals in our division!
Wow really nice guys! do you by any chance have and videos of your bot last year rasherite?

pss, less then 12 hours now Very Happy
Hahahahaha, George Bush got on! I have to say, that made my day! Very Happy

Edit: And now Bill Clinton!
Lolo yea we where like waaaa

but it looks like the game might have something to do with balancing
Balancing, water, Kinects, baseballs, flying, and denim.

Also, any reference to a soft drink BESIDES Coke is forbidden. "Obama", not "The President". And if you say the word "robotics" without the word "FIRST" preceding it, you will be banned from the thread.

"Improbable" not "impossible".

Kinect as a controller, not on the robot itself. Nevermind, seems we can have it on the robot itself. This'll be awesome! Smile
but you can only use it for control in autonomous?!?
I thought it could be used as a controller in Tele-Op mode, and then changed over to antonymous mode with the Kinect used as eyes?

Edit: Oh, only for the first 15 seconds of antonymous mode can you use the Kinect as a controller.
yea, i was thinking it would be something in the end game
Imagine that. Some old guy is talking about the "Good Ol' Days" when they didn't have computers, the Internet, or even Google!

I am actually interested in playing with the Kinect (Which seems like a PITA to do in LabView, so I'll use that to get to use Java or C++). Hopefully we get to keep it after the competition.

KEEP ROCKIN' ON.

Basketball, cooperation, balance!
a lot of the links seem to be 404

I downloaded the simulation software, seems pretty useless because it dosent let you import your own models
That's a shame. I couldn't find a download link earlier when they announced the Blue Something Something company. All I saw was something about mowing...

When we re-watched the game video, I realized that we throw the balls back to the robot, rather than having to pick them up from some random position on the field. Also, apparently you lose points when you block someone.
_player1537 wrote:
I realized that we throw the balls back to the robot, rather than having to pick them up from some random position on the field. Also, apparently you lose points when you block someone.

Important but nitpicky point: you're only allowed to throw the balls during the last 30 seconds, so don't let your strategy hinge on that.
This is going to be awesome! I really like the game for this year.
Any ideas on what the game plan is this year? Or is it not announced yet? A Google search shows absolutely nothing.

_player1537 wrote:
Also, any reference to a soft drink BESIDES Coke is forbidden. "Obama", not "The President". And if you say the word "robotics" without the word "FIRST" preceding it, you will be banned from the thread.

... the hell do you mean? Confused
Ashbad wrote:
Any ideas on what the game plan is this year? Or is it not announced yet? A Google search shows absolutely nothing.

_player1537 wrote:

... the hell do you mean? Confused
It sounds like you missed the live stream from Kickoff today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOXsdhZZSdM

Anyway, here's the information you'll need for this year's game: http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/frc/competition-manual-and-related-documents
It's kind of like basketball.
Thanks, this game looks a lot more fun than last year. In fact, the bridge balancing part is very much like last year's FTC game model. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the Kinect controllers.
Can someone provide me with a website that has the details about all the electronics and stuff. Without knowing this, I was lost last year. And would projectile motion be involved this year because of a basketball?
I just joined my HS' team this year, so I'm pretty new to the robotics scene. Team wise, apparently we're so good that we got to world championships last year... Wink (Not revealing the team number/team name here, since they both kinda reveal everything about me.... Razz If you're my FB friend, you can probably figure it out.)

The team is planning to use Java... although LabView doesn't seem too bad, since a school in my district used it and got into world championships too. I guess it's a matter of tactics than programming language, eh? Wink

Now to read all those manuals... Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours