If applicable, have you easily circumvented the measures taken by a sysadmin other than yourself?
Yes.
 57%  [ 16 ]
No, this sysadmin was actually intelligent.
 17%  [ 5 ]
No, but I could have if I wanted to.
 25%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 28

My school doesn't have a wifi password. it has two networks, a guest network, and the main network. the guest network is open, but only allows you to connect to the major app stores, in order to download the 'provisioning software' to "make your devices more secure for use on a public network". It brok tor, even on my personal laptop!

this nifty little trick i learned this year helped me a lot.: if you have access to data, and you are using a windows computer (confirmed on windows 7 , not possible on win 10), and your it blocks the wifi settings tray icon, and network and sharing center, press the windows logo key and X together, it witt open Windows Mobility Center, From there, press the wifi icon, and the system tray wifi settings panel opens up, allowing you to connect to your mobile hotspot.

I can't seem to get tethering to work on the desktop computers, if anyone knows how I can get minecraft onto on of the desktops, that would be very helpful. Also, it seems that the desktop computers are locked to the network, as i have tried connecting my laptop to the computer via the ethernet cable, and having my laptop connected to my phone, and my laptop will attempt to share the internet connection with the desktop computer, but the computer will not connect to my laptop. (This is also a great method to get a gaming console an internet connection at a hotel)

My IT also uses a shared drive that all useres are given access to, most of it has turneed into a repository for games with so many duplicates, it is impossible to get rid of them all in 1 full sweep.
Congratulations, you discovered a topic that hadn't been touched in nearly five years. Razz

(Just pointing it out; carry on if you like.)
How about you just download Minecraft at your house and transfer it via USB?
Schools are really strict when it comes to the internet, they have to filter out a ton of 'unsafe' sites. So it's no surprise you are having trouble connecting. The school probably has a restriction that prevents the desktop using any Ethernet other than their own. Mad

Also, if tor doesn't work, try DuckDuckGo, I think it's the closest search engine to tor you can get. Smile
I had access to the registry of the school desktops two years ago. All I did was switch around which game shortcuts went to which games (which weren't even removed) and changed it about weekly.
TheLastMillennial wrote:
How about you just download Minecraft at your house and transfer it via USB

The problem with this is that minecraft still asks for a netty 1.6 (I believe ), and it won't launch without the download, but the download will never happen.
At my school, they just record the screen.

But people do pretty funny things.
I personally have a key bound to a jump scare (gotta have fun), and some of my friends have done similar things.

Also, they haven't blocked the uninstall button, so there's your ignorance. They also have little velcro GPS thingies on there, and that doesn't take any explanation to tell you that that's a brilliant idea.
Our school uses a program called LanSchool to take control of the comptuers, although there are many tricks to circumvent it in various ways. Many teachers will just have the program open and be looking at everyone's screens at once to monitor us. One thing me and my friends have done to mess with them is use a video adapter to convert the computers available HDMI port to VGA and plug in a monitor adjacent to that computer for a total of two monitors. Not only is this fun to confuse teachers when stretching one window between the computers, but when you view the computer on the LanSchool program it totally freaks out and confuses the teacher.

Our BIOS is password locked, so we cant boot to USB or DVD's. It blocks the running of most .exe's. but certain programs like Minecraft and a few other games will run, downloaded straight from the internet and all.

On the wifi, they block all proxies, anything that is suspicious or malicious, including essay answer sites, and they used to block hundreds of game sites until recently. All games have been running unrestricted for unknown reasons, and they dont seem keen to block them again.

I think our school has much more security than other schools.
CHill wrote:
Our school uses a program called LanSchool to take control of the comptuers, although there are many tricks to circumvent it in various ways. Many teachers will just have the program open and be looking at everyone's screens at once to monitor us. One thing me and my friends have done to mess with them is use a video adapter to convert the computers available HDMI port to VGA and plug in a monitor adjacent to that computer for a total of two monitors. Not only is this fun to confuse teachers when stretching one window between the computers, but when you view the computer on the LanSchool program it totally freaks out and confuses the teacher.

Our BIOS is password locked, so we cant boot to USB or DVD's. It blocks the running of most .exe's. but certain programs like Minecraft and a few other games will run, downloaded straight from the internet and all.

On the wifi, they block all proxies, anything that is suspicious or malicious, including essay answer sites, and they used to block hundreds of game sites until recently. All games have been running unrestricted for unknown reasons, and they dont seem keen to block them again.

I think our school has much more security than other schools.

Yeah, our school used to use LanSchool, but that changed when people uninstalled it. Us students are smart!
Ashbad wrote:
I usually (read: always) brung my laptop to school, so on-device lockdowns don't apply. The school also has two networks: FCPS (which is locked down), FCPSmobile (locked down but usually faster), and in half the building you can access one called HerpDerpNet (no joke), and it has no network monitoring or site blocking. So, I'm usually completely unrestricted anyways Smile

Though, if I have to, on FCPS/FCPSmobile, the https:// trick works to access sites like facebook.

So; i know this post is 6 years old. But i live in the FCPS district too lo℩.

More on topic, for exams, the schools always reset the calc's ram but never the archive >_>
For my school, we don't have access to a bunch of things. I haven't really done anything about it though because it just doesn't bother me.

The thing that is stupid about it though, is the way they do student accounts. Literally all you need to know is the person's name, which I've already found a list of all the names in the school in the teachers website. From there, you can just brute force the rest. Here's how they do it:

Username/email: 20john.doe@schooldomain.net
The number in the front is the graduation year, then their first and last names, then the domain.
Password: JD010101
Capitalize their initials, then add birthdate in MMDDYY format.

Really easy.
CHill wrote:

Our BIOS is password locked, so we cant boot to USB or DVD's.

My school does the same thing, though it's relatively easy to open the case and clear CMOS when the teacher is out of the room for some reason. If we need admin rights on the computers, we just boot to hirens boot cd and change the local administrator account. They also haven't blocked vpns, so their network lock is also useless.
DShiznit wrote:
the DVD-ROM drives still work, and I could upload a virus from a DVD just as easily as I would from a flash drive, so all this restriction does is prevent me from printing my homework.

I could do all of that on the Job Corps computers, but they disabled right-click and the command executable. However, I can boot from external media, and I like to play games off of my flashdrive. However, I can't do that during class, as my computer screen directly faces the instructor's desk.

Something that is confusing, though...... They have blocked hundreds of game sites, but not the steam store. I'm not complaining, but....... Question
Ah yes, this was a favorite pastime of mine as an elementary/middle schooler. The "Technilogy Expert" at our school was blindingly oblivious to the source of some clever workarounds and in some cases, pranks. At the time, all school computers ran on WinXP Professional, a simple, but solid OS. It had plenty of fun workarounds to waste time. Since most everything was blocked or restricted, my friends and I made a game out of finding exploits. A good example is running cmd without admin rights simple using a tiny batch file, or windows PowerShell. My favorite find (I was a fifth grader at the time) was exploiting my way into the master server startup folder, and including within in it a batch file to display the following text: "Windows would like to remind you that the world is ending tomorrow." Hilarity ensued.
CalcMeister wrote:
"Windows would like to remind you that the world is ending tomorrow."

I'm going to try that now.
calcnerd_CEP_D wrote:
CalcMeister wrote:
"Windows would like to remind you that the world is ending tomorrow."

I'm going to try that now.

Better do it soon, you only have until tomorrow before the computers and your target audience will be gone!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours