Thanks to extensive discussion about and lots of interest in a new Cemetech contest, especially as the previous Cemetech contest ended over a year ago. As Cemetech administrator Rivereye has recently begun documenting, Cemetech has held seven previous contests, covering topics ranging from utilities to Sudoku solvers to Doors CS-enabled programs to 3D games. Up to the sixth contest, all of the prizes were prestige-based, including signature bars and custom titles on the forum, but as of Contest #7, several members, namely BrandonW and Merthsoft, generously donated prizes. We are not yet officially announcing prizes for this contest, but I invite anyone who has something they'd like to donate as a prize to drop me a line. I will also be courting sponsors for the contest, and I have several calculators of my own I may choose donate.

The theme for this contest will be Arcade Games. Any game that can be classified under this genre is acceptable; if you have doubts on a particular concept, feel free to post on Cemetech and ask. Entries will be judged in three categories, as listed below. We are aware that it takes widely-varying effort to implement a given game in each possible language, and will be judging within the categories accordingly.

:: TI Programs - BASIC, Hybrid/Extended BASIC (Celtic III, xLIB, BatLib, Axe), and ASM games for the TI-83+ through TI-84+SE graphing calculators. It is likely that TI-Nspire programs will not be accepted, as the judges do not have Nspires. Special accommodations may be made if pre-arranged.

:: Casio Prizm Programs - BASIC and C games for the Casio Prizm color graphing calculator.

:: Computer Programs - Games written for Linux or Windows using languages such as Python, C#, C/C++, and Java. Other languages may be considered if cleared with the judges.

Any program previously released is disqualified from entry in this contest. Screenshots and progress updates during the contest are not only allowed, but encouraged (but releases of binaries or code are forbidden) and all contest entrants are required to start a topic in the contest subforum to announce their entry. Team entries are allowed, although we anticipate that most entries will be individual. As with previous Cemetech contests, judging is generally performed by an impartial board of Cemetech staff, although users who are not entering the contest may apply to join the judging panel. Prizes are subject to change without notice, but we're hoping that means more prizes rather than fewer!

Officially, this contest starts on December 2nd, 2011 and runs until midnight on January 22nd, 2012. In the interest of authors not leaving their entries to the last minute, bonus points may be awarded at the judges' discretion for early entries. If you have any questions, including about specific ideas for entries or about details I may have omitted from this news article, please feel free to post in the attached topic. No matter your skill level or preferred language, I highly encourage you to enter!

Edit: ticalc.org has posted a news article publicizing Cemetech Contest #8! I hope many of the community's lurkers will take this opportunity to enter the contest and stick around Cemetech. Smile

I'll make an arcade game called "Hit the Kerm." It shall be awesome.
allynfolksjr wrote:
I will hold you to it, Nikky. What language are you going to be using?
I am at the moment going to remake Pacman. There may or may not be anything special about it, but it will be fun and it will allow me to practice my new found knowledge. If there is more I can enter then I will probably make one more game.
I may make something with C# and XNA if I have time, though I'm not sure what I'll make yet. Also, you should include the DCSB libraries in the list of hybrid basic libraries! Wink
As far as playability of a game. I could judge for the Nspire. As long as it is Nspire Basic. I have not hacked my Nspire yet.
Notice that we mentioned we will probably not accept Nspire entries, and that entrants cannot be judges, even for a different category. Smile Souvik, Aes_Sedia5, I invite you to make your entry topics in this subforum!
I suppose I could work on this tangentially with The Raccoon King. I assume I can steal code from previous programs I've written, correct?
Kaslai wrote:
I suppose I could work on this tangentially with The Raccoon King. I assume I can steal code from previous programs I've written, correct?
Aye, within reason, and assuming it's not the bulk of a previous program.
Ok. I missed that entrants cannot be judges. Sorry. Also I already posted my project here??
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
Ok. I missed that entrants cannot be judges. Sorry. Also I already posted my project here??
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
Screenshots and progress updates during the contest are not only allowed, but encouraged (but releases of binaries or code are forbidden) and all contest entrants are required to start a topic in the contest subforum to announce their entry.
OH. OK. that makes sense. Well consider me offically announcing Pacman. Then maybe another game if I get it finished in time.
allynfolksjr wrote:

Perl. I'll have to port it first.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
OH. OK. that makes sense. Well consider me offically announcing Pacman. Then maybe another game if I get it finished in time.
Good, then I hope you'll be starting the topic in this subforum soon to officially officially announce it.

Nikky, superb, I'm sure it will be a winner.
So I assume BBC Basic fits under the Hybrid category? (debatable, since it's entirely self-contained, but if axe goes there it does too.)
willrandship wrote:
So I assume BBC Basic fits under the Hybrid category? (debatable, since it's entirely self-contained, but if axe goes there it does too.)
Yeah, I'm calling BBC BASIC a hybrid language in this case. Will you be entering a BBC BASIC entry into the contest? Smile
Maybe next time for me.
I think I'll make something with sound using my great knowledge of MuseInc XD
yeongJIN_COOL wrote:
I think I'll make something with sound using my great knowledge of MuseInc XD
Superb, I look forward to it. What specifically might you have in mind?

Adamac, sorry to hear it; I hope you will indeed join us next time.
You said no code or binary may be not be released. Are we allowed to get private help with our code, or is it a solo act only.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours