http://www.techspot.com/news/46668-googles-answer-to-siri-majel.html

So Google is planning to release a competing voice-recognizing assistant to Apple's SIRI, and they're naming it "Majel". Why Majel? If you have to ask, you seriously need to watch more science-fiction.
In the instances I've used Siri, or witnessed it used, it worked astonishingly well. I can't imagine how Google could improve this concept. The article says that Siri was created from DARPA research and Majel [b]could[/b] (although likely) be based off Voice data from their 411 & [Google] Voice services. Of course, this is likely a scenario of not seeing how much difference there is until it's released.

In day to day life, I really can't see myself using a service like this; I have capable fingers. It's a novelty selling point for iOS, not a useful one and Google wants to have that selling point as well. Anything can be pitched to be useful, like how Siri can read and send texts for you as you drive. The concept of "Natural Voice Recognition" (or whatever you want to call it) is young, and I don't see it going anywhere in the next few years. It can be implemented better than it is in iOS, though, but it won't do anything new.
comicIDIOT wrote:
In day to day life, I really can't see myself using a service like this; I have capable fingers. It's a novelty selling point for iOS, not a useful one and Google wants to have that selling point as well. Anything can be pitched to be useful, like how Siri can read and send texts for you as you drive. The concept of "Natural Voice Recognition" (or whatever you want to call it) is young, and I don't see it going anywhere in the next few years. It can be implemented better than it is in iOS, though, but it won't do anything new.

On a side note, it's important to remember that Android is poised to move beyond merely smartphones. As the article suggests, marrying NLP with everyday devices and appliances (namely, via android@home) would be incredible.
I still don't see the importance. If I could talk to each device from my phone, that's something I'd appreciate. Along with RFID, you could ask your phone to check your fridge for expired food while your at the grocery.

But even then, why have it spoken when an app can just list it in an automatic "To Buy" list. The whole NLP thing is a silly idea in my opinion, no matter which side.
The idea is that, you can walk into your house, tell your computer to turn on the lights, than ask it for information like recent messages or emails or the latest online news while you change your clothes or wash dishes or something. Like people in Star Trek do(hence the name Majel).
I think we're jumping way ahead on the Majel v Siri contest, then.
Wow, that loooks amazing! I assume it is for ICS, only, which sucks because my Archos only runs Froyo Sad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours