I'm working on a game based on a game for the ipod touch: Squareball(http://itunes.apple.com/be/app/squareball/id328561150?mt=8 )

On this older screenie I am playing around in my map. I don't bounce yet off them as in the original game then. But I have done that today. Smile
Sadly there isn't a screenie of that. But i can give you one of how my title screen wil look.(I do plan to edit it still. I will add. a quit 'button' and remove the about one.

This title screen is actually stolen of he original one(http://www.creativeapplications.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/squareball01.png) but afterall it's pretty much the same game too Razz

For the rest I have to add time and highscore and I was thinking to have random levels instead of made ones because i haven't that much time before the deadline. That's about it for now.
(Also writing this on an ipod iq quite disturbing Sad )
Oooh, that looks very nice! And you say this is for zContest, so I assume it's going to be a busy four days for you. I presume from the grayscale and the timeframe before the deadline that this is Axe?
Yes, it's Axe(says in title aswell).
Smile
stefan bauwens wrote:
Yes, it's Axe(says in title aswell).
Smile
Haha, a reading fail for me. Razz Do you know if there's a Flash version of this game for those of us without iDevices so I can get a feel for the gameplay?
Here is a semi-okay demonstration of the game. Basically, the goal is to get rid of enough blue blocks (or green, it's been a while since I've played it) to unlock the door at the end of the level. You get rid of blocks by bouncing on them, and you move around by scrolling the screen (you stay in place, but the screen moves, kind of), and you constantly bounce from top to bottom. It was a fun (but very challenging) game, so, congratulations on writing it Smile Yours looks very well polished.
I went and got this app, really fun. Good job so far.
Thanks,
Well I don't think so Kerm, because I already tried looking for that. But there are some youtube vids out there.

At the moment I'm playing a bit with an interrupt in my game, but it's causing my game to run very slow so I don't know yet.
Also I think I'm just gonna make that' unlike the original version' you have a timer which is counting down. Every time you break a certain stone the time goes a bit up. And ypu must get yo the end of the level in time, with a certain highscore. What do you think?
Thank you for posting that video, Catherine. It looks like a lot of fun, and I'm always a sucker for games with 8-bit chiptunes in them. Smile If you need any high-level help with interrupts (I assume they're not that different in Axe ans ASM) I'm sure we could give you some tips. I like the idea of the time, that's very similar to the concept of Invalid Tangram, in which clearing blocks raises your time limit, and getting hit lowers it.
Alright. So I finished this in time for the zContest, although I had to stay up till after midnight. Very Happy

So the levels are random and the dark grey gives more time than the light grey. The goal is to every time you play beat your own time.
Screenie time:

Download:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/444/44427.html
There might be some few bugs, but overall I'm pretty pleased. Also It's already compiled for doors CS Wink [/url]
hmm, i really like that screenie xp this game is made really nice, and even there are a lot of squares to calculate every frame, it runs smooth.. and the collosion detection works without any bug, Smile great job!

--edit--
could you make it with those levels too?
Oh yeah. Nick made that screenie. xP
I maybe could make it, but it would take ofcourse more place in. But I would have to change stuff and use appvars instead of GDB.
But that's something for in the future. Right know I need a rest. Razz
Also thanks. Smile
Very nice indeed. Actually, it doesn't look super-smooth to me (although I'm sure Stefan did the best he could given the platform and all the things that need to be done in each cycle); perhaps it's just the screenshot being unkind?
Yes, now that you say so Isee it too(but I am on an ipod, so maybe that alsodoes something). But to compare I played it on my calc and it runs a lot more smooth.
(I still will try to compare when I'm on a computer and not on ipod).
stefan bauwens wrote:
Yes, now that you say so Isee it too(but I am on an ipod, so maybe that alsodoes something). But to compare I played it on my calc and it runs a lot more smooth.
(I still will try to compare when I'm on a computer and not on ipod).
Either way, I'm sure you worked hard to optimize. If it turns out to be an actual slowdown in the program, do you know of anything you could try to do to save cycles?
Perhaps...
I heard from some people that the way I store my levels isn't the best way.

But I'll hopefully continue this and eventually add levels(not random), fix some bugs...

For now, I'm taking a little programming break Razz I'm quite happy and for me the smoothness on calc is fine.

But ofcourse this is actually only my 2nd program in axe and I do have a lot to learn and I'm sure there are people, like Runer112 for example, that can help me optimize my program so it's perfect. Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours