Hi guys !

Here is my current Axe project : Gravity Walls !

In this gravity-based game, you are a man trapped in a room with only one chance to escape : a small door.

But there is a problem ... this door is sticked far on the wall ! Yeah, this room is kind of special ... In the background, there are arrows, and these arrows decide where go the gravity ; if you go on them, the gravity switch in the direction of the arrow. And since you follow the gravity, you can access to the door by using these arrows !

There will be many levels, but for now I only did the map engine and the physics, and separately.

EDIT : Now with screenshots Smile

Map Engine :

Physics :
I can't wait to see the screenshots! I know of a recent game with platforms scrolling sideways, a ball, and gravity that can be directed either up or down, but I've never heard of the concept applied in four directions before. I hope that besides showing us screenshots and keeping us updated with progress, you'll eventually upload the resulting program to the archives. Will this be a regular program or an app? Will there be any sort of theme or story? Have you designed the full tileset yet? And will a level editor be included?
It will be a regular program, if it doesn't overflow the 8k limit.

I only designed the mapper, not the tiles yet (except animated arrows and ground).

I didn't think to a story, but there wil be a level editor Smile
Sounds good! This sounds like the sort of game (if you wouldn't mind some suggestions) that might be set in space, since the gravity can change direction. Maybe the computer that controls the ship, including the gravity field, went rogue, and you've managed to get control of it, but you have to make it to the central computer core to recover control of the entire ship so that you can make it home? If you want some time constraints, maybe the computer aimed the ship for the nearest sun in an attempt to kill off the humans, and you have to stop it before you fry.
Oh, I think this story is good for this concept (you'll understand it with the screenies), I'll think of it Smile

And of course there'll be MAAANY obstacles, like spikes, lasers, holes ... But there won't be any enemy.

Also, I forgot to mention that since it's 4*4 tiles, an entire screen is a 24*16 tilemap. The first levels will be 24*16 tilemaps, but it won't be always like this ... Smoothscrolling incoming indeed Very Happy
Ah, great! From what I understand about Axe, it provides language features, or at least reused/canned code, that lets you do smooth-scrolling fairly easily, correct?
False, I hard-code all the work :p

Axe doesn't include any built-in feature, even for cellular automata. For example, I hard-codded this effect with a for loop and bit manipulating :

That's pretty great! The run program indicator at the top right almost looks like one of those flame remnants Very Happy
matrefeytontias wrote:

But wait, isn't that actually Builderboy's fire effect that everyone's used to death in title screens?

I'd definitely shy away from using that in-game, it's been used by at least a dozen games already and isn't very unique anymore.
Yeah, that's it, it's the only effect I reminded the URL at the moment Very Happy

And now, screenshots ! I edited the first post Smile
The physics look solid thus far. Have you implemented collisions yet, or is that the next thing on your list?
If I were you, I'd think about using smaller tiles or scrolling maps. You'll find it's a bit difficult to cram ^^
@KermMartian : Collisions are the next thing on my list.

@leafiness0 : The first levels will be 24*16 tilemaps (just a screen), but the others will be maps larger than the screen, implying smoothscrolling indeed.
leafiness0 wrote:
If I were you, I'd think about using smaller tiles or scrolling maps. You'll find it's a bit difficult to cram ^^
Smaller than 4x4 tiles? Shock It would be awfully difficult to create visually-distinctive tiles at 3x3 or 2x2, I would think, unless you misunderstood and thought it was 8x8 tiles. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
leafiness0 wrote:
Smaller than 4x4 tiles? Shock It would be awfully difficult to create visually-distinctive tiles at 3x3 or 2x2, I would think, unless you misunderstood and thought it was 8x8 tiles. Smile

From what I understood, he said that Matrefeytontias should choose between small tiles and smooth scrolling, but not make smooth scrolling with small tiles because that would be harder. I might have misunderstood Smile

KermMartian wrote:
Ah, great! From what I understand about Axe, it provides language features, or at least reused/canned code, that lets you do smooth-scrolling fairly easily, correct?

Question Question Question
Where have you read this ? Smooth scrolling is always the problem Axe coders have to face one day and there is no easy way Razz
At worst, it is possible to use some code from another program but it is always hard to make it work in your own game.
Ok, now collisions with blocks are working Very Happy

Next, I'll implement the arrows, and it'll be them which change gravity. Also, I'll add a door and I'll get the first level working Good Idea

Hayleia wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
leafiness0 wrote:

From what I understood, he said that Matrefeytontias should choose between small tiles and smooth scrolling, but not make smooth scrolling with small tiles because that would be harder. I might have misunderstood Smile
Yeah, I think you're right Very Happy I'll try to use both of small tiles and smooth scrolling, but if it's too hard then I'll keep 4*4 tiles.
Hayleia wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Where have you read this ? Smooth scrolling is always the problem Axe coders have to face one day and there is no easy way Razz
At worst, it is possible to use some code from another program but it is always hard to make it work in your own game.
I never specifically read it anywhere, but I sort of assumed it was the case based on what I know of Axe and what it provides for programmers. Needless to say, having never written any Axe programs myself, I could easily be misinformed about said features.

Matrefeytontias: Nice job on collisions! Also, is there a shorter form of your name? Matrefey? Or do you prefer being called by the whole username?
Oh, I thought you were using 8x8 tiles based on the arrows Razz Yeah, 4x4 should be sufficient for some really nice level design Very Happy
@KermMartian thanks, just call me Matref Wink

@leafiness0 in fact, each arrow is a 8*8 sprite, but a ground tile is 4*4. I use an algo to know if the prgm needs to display the arrow or not (cos the tile acts on 4 4*4 fields but only need one display, not 4).
KermMartian wrote:
Hayleia wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I never specifically read it anywhere, but I sort of assumed it was the case based on what I know of Axe and what it provides for programmers. Needless to say, having never written any Axe programs myself, I could easily be misinformed about said features.
Well, Axe gives some basic commands such as sprite drawing and some structures such as loops and If statements, but there are no big function as smooth-scrolling. Grammer has a tilemap feature (but I don't know if it is smooth-scrolling) but Axe doesn't. An Axiom could be written for this but I doubt anyone is interested in writing it, and using some code from another program is annoying, because it sometimes uses variables or RAM areas (or something else) that we don't want it to use Sad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours