So the gravity in Castlevania is linear instead of quadratic, then? Linear gravity means the player always falls at a constant rate; quadratic gravity is real life, where things speed up the longer they fall.
Yes, in castlevania you do fall at a constant rate, or at least in the old NES/GB bit ones, I am not too sure about the new DS/GBA ones >.>
qazz42 wrote:
Yes, in castlevania you do fall at a constant rate, or at least in the old NES/GB bit ones, I am not too sure about the new DS/GBA ones >.>
Fair enough, then I can't fault you too much for doing that here. Smile
Awesome! Looks great Smile The gravity feels off to me, too, though I haven't played many Castlevania games to have a feel for what gravity is like. In those games, are you able to single-, double-, and triple-jump?
well, in the non-linear games you are able to double jump. But as I said, I fixed the infinite jump thing

and yes, the gravity was a bit to low, I made the drop a little faster to match the linear castlevania games I should have a new screenshot later
*bump bump*

An idea: perhaps have whip action midair not pause the character's falling movement? I'm pretty sure that's not commonly found in Castlevania games Smile maybe by having a non-blocking method of keeping time, like using SetTimer()/GetTimer(), or something of that nature?

Woo, I added an enemy (that does nothing, ofc) but I seem to be running into some slight issues now, regarding smoothness Sad
The new whip action is nice Smile the sprite for the enemy is equally as cool. What are the plans for enemy movement patterns and possible speed optimization?
Ashbad wrote:
The new whip action is nice Smile the sprite for the enemy is equally as cool. What are the plans for enemy movement patterns and possible speed optimization?

I fixed the major "jumping" that happens, but not the slight jump you can see when I am standing still. Soon he should have an attack... don't know how I will pull it off yet, though... I am to tired to work on it for today, shall finish tommorrow
It looks to me as if you're constantly redrawing both sprites. You really should only erase each one via XOR when you need to move it, otherwise leave it alone.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours