comicIDIOT wrote:
So it'll update the ticalc.org download count by one download, at most, every ten minutes. Otherwise the download expires and is retrieved and cached and additional downloads within the time limit don't count towards the source download counts.
Thanks for clarifying that, that's exactly right. The caching is mostly to save bandwidth, although it also helps prevent download count abuse.

Quote:
Sorry, I had to put it into laymans terms for myself, and likely others.
No problem. The simplification is appreciated.

New progress from today:
- Very long file lists are now send properly, both calc<-->calc and gCnFTP bridge<-->calc.
- Chat-like messages can now be received properly by the on-calculator Sandpaper client. The gCnFTP bridge uses this functionality to display title and description of a file when you open its zip file "folder".
- Clicking connect on an empty peer list no longer causes a hang.

Tomorrow: making the Sandpaper bridge capable of actually pushing files to the client, via several additions:
- The ability to read and distinguish between calculator-compatible and calculator-incompatible files based on header.
- The ability to push the correct file type for calculator-compatible files
- The ability to supply the body of calculator-compatible files when requested
- The ability to stay in the same folder and dump some information to a chat-style message box when the user selects a calculator-incompatible file
- The ability to descend into a zip file's folder hierarchy

Stretch goal for tomorrow
- The ability to ascend (back out) of the folder and zip folder hierarchy

Once all of the above are done, I can beta Sandpaper 0.99 or so for you all.
shouldn't distinguishing between different types if programs be easy? e.g: IF the file is not .8xp THEN don't allow for download.
ordelore wrote:
shouldn't distinguishing between different types if programs be easy? e.g: IF the file is not .8xp THEN don't allow for download.
Theoretically, yes, but I'm going to read file information by actually reading the files, not relying on the headers. That doesn't make it that much harder, but it's still an extra four or five lines of code.
New progress from today:
- Sandpaper no longer uses CALCnet debug display mode
- On-calculator "chat" box gets initialized to "Loading..." rather than "Insufficient memory".
- Bridge can detect many different types of files inside ZIP archives, from .8xp and friends to text files and subfolders
- Bridge can successfully generate listing inside ZIP root
- Bridge and on-calculator client can cooperate to let the user delve into sub (and sub-sub, etc) folders inside ZIP archives

To-Do for Tomorrow:
- The ability to supply the body of calculator-compatible files when requested
- The ability to stay in the same folder and dump some information to a chat-style message box when the user selects a calculator-incompatible file
- FileCache should scan current directory on construction
- FileCache should update its cache any time an entry is added or fetched
- Non-ZIP non-folder files in the ticalc.org archives should not be shown and should also not be handled if requested

Once all of the above are done, I can beta Sandpaper 0.99 or so for you all.

Edit: Whoops, did the final three items in the to-do list tonight by accident.
New progress from today:
- The body of calculator-compatible files are provided when requested
- The bridge can stay in the same folder and dump some information to a chat-style message box when the user selects a calculator-incompatible file
- Non-ZIP non-folder files in the ticalc.org archives are not shown and are also not handled if requested
- FileCache scans current directory on construction
- FileCache updates its cache any time an entry is added or fetched
- FileCache is now independent of its cwd.
- Sandpaper will not put a file in one of the "Special" folders by mistake.

Missing features/bugs:
- Large directories need to be broken up into chunks
- Some descriptions are coming up empty (?)
- Files excluded from rankings break CalcRepo
- Client expirations are not updated properly

Do you guys want me to release a beta anyway? All of these features are within the Python bridge, and hence there would be no need for people to download a new client to get these new features when I complete them.
I'd say we can wait a bit: suppose implementing and testing those features reveals bugs in the client, we'll have to re-download it anyway Smile

We are relaying the information at TI-Planet, https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142472#p142472 and below.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
I'd say we can wait a bit: suppose implementing and testing those features reveals bugs in the client, we'll have to re-download it anyway Smile

We are relaying the information at TI-Planet, https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142472#p142472 and below.
I'm afraid I already went ahead and released v0.95, after testing it all afternoon and failing to make it crash. Smile Hopefully it won't require extensive changes. One new bug has already been revealed in the Python bridge, though.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours