Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
Back in August, when I was traveling up to Maine to vacation with Elfprince13, Elfprincess13, and Merthsoft, I started Sandpaper, an FTP client/server for CALCnet and TI-83+/84+ graphing calculators. With the announcement of TI-Forge's zContest contest, I decided to enter Sandpaper as an ASM Utility for that contest, and I am happy to announce that I now have a complete, functional, and hopefully mostly bug-free beta release ready, Sandpaper v0.8.

Sandpaper v0.8 is an FTP client and server for CALCnet and Doors CS. It can be used to trade programs, lists, appvars, GDBs, groups, pictures, and strings between directly-connected calculators, several calculators over a network, or even between the ticalc.org and Cemetech file archives and a calculator using the upcoming globalCALCnet Sandpaper bridge. This release implements full file listing, the ability to send and receive programs between calculators, and much more. It is a fully-functional demo and beta that lacks only the ability to send and receive filetypes other than programs. Among the itemized features it offers:

:: Use your calculator as an FTP client or server
:: Fetch files from other calculators
:: Send files to other calculators
:: Use the native Doors CS 6+ folder system for easy navigation
:: Supports programs, appvars, groups, lists, GDBs, strings, and picture variables
:: Store programs to RAM or Archive
:: Get programs from RAM or Archive - no unarchiving necessary
:: Robust failure recovery will protect your calculator from crashes if disconnected during transfer, insufficient space, or other problems occur.
:: Use of the DCS GUI allows for an attractive interface while maintaining small program size.

Please give it a try and report any bugs you find! Enjoy the video below.

Download
Sandpaper v0.8



I just realized what Sandpaper is for, and it actually sounds incredibly useful Shock That's one program I really, really wish I had.

It's funny how this supports groups while even TI Connect doesn't handle them right XD
Deep Thought wrote:
I just realized what Sandpaper is for, and it actually sounds incredibly useful Shock That's one program I really, really wish I had.

It's funny how this supports groups while even TI Connect doesn't handle them right XD
Thanks! Very Happy Once I finish putting the gCn Bridge for ticalc.org and Cemetech together, which I hope to work on in my evenings the next few days, I'll have an even cooler feature to demo. Smile
erm, why doesn't it support apps? I know, you told me on chat that they have to be written manually into ROM, but I thought Groups can't be in RAM, so it would be the same? (Sorry if I'm grinding your nerves....)
Well, a group can be received into RAM and then archived with a normal bcall. Receiving an app means manually writing flash and modifying the certificate.
Oh...I just thought that a group can't be in ram, as you can't unarchieve it via TI-OS.
EDIT: I can still exit with clear
Sorunome wrote:
Oh...I just thought that a group can't be in ram, as you can't unarchieve it via TI-OS.
EDIT: I can still exit with clear
You're supposed to be able to exit with [CLEAR]. Smile Who said that was a bug?
I mean that it doesn't really connect with ticalc....i thought it should till now.....
Sorunome wrote:
I mean that it doesn't really connect with ticalc....i thought it should till now.....
I answered this in the other thread. It "freezes" while waiting for the root folder listing for ticalc.org; since I didn't implement that yet, it just keeps waiting.
awesome! I shall test this program out right now!

edit: well, after a few minutes of testing, I must say this works wonderfully, so far. No crashes , timeouts, or any errors of the sort... if anything, the only problems encountered is the lack of other people...

edit2: Just tested this with yeong, and while it seems we can send and receive requests, but, however, when one of us receives the "slaved to qazz/yeong" message, the other freezes. Any idea what happened, Kerm? it crashes as soon as you press "send request", to be specific.
^
Also, I saw cemetech and ticalc a while ago (in sandpaper), but I don't see them anymore.
2 things after watching the video!.
1. I love the music!
2. Is there anyway to have the calculator connect to a computer like that instead of using Ti (dis)connect or TiLP?
Qazz and Yeong: Would you please try again tomorrow using a hub other than FTPHub? I suspect that I know what the problem is if that makes it work. Smile

Aes_Sedia: Yes, that's one of the things Sandpaper can do. You will soon be able to directly download from ticalc.org and Cemetech with just your calculator and a gCn connection.
Any plans for calculator backup? Login with your Cemetech credentials and select backup or restore. Only RAM and Archive would be saved. Maybe variables, lists strings and pictures too? Cemetech could jump into cloud storage!
comicIDIOT wrote:
Any plans for calculator backup? Login with your Cemetech credentials and select backup or restore. Only RAM and Archive would be saved. Maybe variables, lists strings and pictures too? Cemetech could jump into cloud storage!
A superb idea! I don't know if I want to add a button in Sandpaper to do a full backup, since it doesn't have a way to create folders on the target, but I could definitely see a third hub that shows a different folder to each calculator ID and allows file backups. Great thinking, comic.
KermMartian wrote:
Qazz and Yeong: Would you please try again tomorrow using a hub other than FTPHub? I suspect that I know what the problem is if that makes it work. Smile

Aes_Sedia: Yes, that's one of the things Sandpaper can do. You will soon be able to directly download from ticalc.org and Cemetech with just your calculator and a gCn connection.


okie dokie, I shall try as soon as I get back from school, assuming someone is available.
KermMartian wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
Any plans for calculator backup? Login with your Cemetech credentials and select backup or restore. Only RAM and Archive would be saved. Maybe variables, lists strings and pictures too? Cemetech could jump into cloud storage!
A superb idea! I don't know if I want to add a button in Sandpaper to do a full backup, since it doesn't have a way to create folders on the target, but I could definitely see a third hub that shows a different folder to each calculator ID and allows file backups. Great thinking, comic.


Maybe not just by calc ID, if someone gets a new TI-84 and wants to restore it to that of their old (bricked/broken) one... Though that likelihood would be rare.
Question: how is downloading directly from cemetech.net possible when all the download archives are in zip format?
The special thing of the zip-format is that it can be read "on the fly", that means that e.g. if you download one of these you can still open it is if it was a normal folder.
Other types to compress make the data even smaller, but they can't be used "on the fly".
Another proof that it is possible: on ticalc.org you can read all txt-files inside the zip thing. Smile
.zip files aren't at all like that, what you are talking about is how Windows treats it like a folder when you double click on it and how .zip files allow for random access. Windows just reads the file list and makes it seem like a folder, but no data has been actually extracted yet. As far as I know, no other operating system does this. They only get extracted when you try to open one of the files in the archive.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement