I have several friends who have taken Band all year every year since sixth grade, and I always wonder why they bother. My friend Zac in particular, wants to be a Marine Biologist. I don't see how repeatedly taking band over and over(And any band related class he can find, even one that takes place during zero hour(A special before school period for certain classes, like madrigals which Zac takes)) is going to help him succeed at being a marine biologist. I mean, it's fine if he finds it fun, but I find it hard to see it as something so fun that he would commit to waking up more than an hour early every single school day.
I always wondered the same thing. I think I've gotten some more perspective in the last few years, though.

I volunteer at a museum one day a week, which requires getting up around 6 or 7 am rather than my usual wakeup time of 10. It doesn't lead to any money, and I don't really get any marketable skills. However, it's immensely fulfilling to do an activity just because you want to do it. Especially if there's a payoff of something you can point to with pride and say "There! I did that!".
As one of those band geeks who would get up early every day to take band, I can say that it's because band is fun and creates great memories. My mom took band all 4 years of highschool, and she still gets together with her band friends (we had a reunion last year) and has a great time. It doesn't even really matter if the director sucks or not (this year, ours sucks a LOT) because the people in band are the fun ones. Even with him, we all managed to have a great time and cut up and laugh the entire class period, which is a great way to end out the school day Smile
Ha, in my school it is just like this for Jazz Band, every day there are 2 or more people missing for Jazz Band rotations. I personally, on the other hand, have never had time for such things as my school schedule is packed as it is, although I have no doubt my peers would tell you how fun band is and whatnot
I would presume it's because they enjoy playing their instrument, they enjoy being part of a group and socializing with like-minded individuals, and they like being proud of their accomplishments. Smile It sounds like Qazz and Catherine, who are both in bands, would agree with me there.
It's like Drama students. I have friends who LOVE and LIVE theatre at school, even now in college, but they're studying for other majors. There's that challenge with Band that isn't there with other classes. You can improve and create with Drama/Theatre and Band.

Other classes are just one way. You can find new plankton with Marine Biology, but how often is that? You can't create much, or get better through field study's with yourself or others.

Also, dare I add: "This one time, at bandcamp."
KermMartian wrote:
I would presume it's because they enjoy playing their instrument, they enjoy being part of a group and socializing with like-minded individuals, and they like being proud of their accomplishments. Smile It sounds like Qazz and Catherine, who are both in bands, would agree with me there.

wait, I'm not in band... Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours