Last year, several of us participated in Sparkfun Free Day 2011, the second annual occurrence of that excellent event. The first year, everyone who was able to get through the massive intentional DDoS got $100 of Sparkfun credit, which I used to get my first Arduino among other cool component gadgetry. Last year, elfprince13 and I sat in my room (he and the Elfprincess were visiting me in NYC) and F5ed for a few hours until we got $40 and $30 of credit respectively, as last year they gave you $10 per question for answering electronics questions. The limiting factor there again was server load rather than our knowledge. This year, they're returning to something like the first year's system. Who else is going to enter? Further details are here:

http://www.sparkfun.com/news/747
They must have some great residual affects to keep this up for the last few years. I'll browse their site and see if I find anything worth picking up.
comicIDIOT wrote:
They must have some great residual affects to keep this up for the last few years. I'll browse their site and see if I find anything worth picking up.
*Effects. Wink You could always get an Arduino to try out gCn things! It gives them great publicity, it's server load-testing that you can't pay for, and did I mention how great the publicity is? Plus they're quite overpriced to begin with, so it balances out.,
GAH. I even looked it up.

I'll place an Arduino on the top of the list Wink
Kerm, that link doesn't work.
Reading a dictionary: harder than it looks?
calcdude84se wrote:
Kerm, that link doesn't work.
Works fine for me. Sad ComicIDIOT, I only suggest that as a decent way to get into some electronics/microprocessor work, and to have a way to play with gCn. There are many other nifty things you could get to play with adding up to $100 that aren't Arduinos, of course. Nikky: pardon?
I could read it fine on the front page, but the link itself, even from the front page, goes to a 404 page Sad
Edit: In fact, none of the news pages work. All lead to the 404 page.
calcdude84se wrote:
I could read it fine on the front page, but the link itself, even from the front page, goes to a 404 page Sad
Edit: In fact, none of the news pages work. All lead to the 404 page.
Weird, it continues to work fine for me. Are you going to be trying for Free Day this year, calcdude? What do you want to get?
*bump* Three days until Free Day! It starts at 9am Mountain Time on Wednesday, or 11am for us Eastern Time residents. Who else will be mashing F5 on four different computers? Very Happy
Unfortunately that's right in the middle of my school time, and I have no Comp classes this trimester Sad
KermMartian wrote:
Nikky: pardon?

No idea. comicIDIOT probably said something stupid that I was responding to.
willrandship wrote:
Unfortunately that's right in the middle of my school time, and I have no Comp classes this trimester Sad
Aww. Sad It just occurred to me that I have jury duty starting Tuesday, so there's a decent chance I might miss Free Day. Sad Hell.
that sucks. Try not to obscure a quick and speedy trial, I guess? Razz
willrandship wrote:
that sucks. Try not to obscure a quick and speedy trial, I guess? Razz
Or I could instead hope that I don't get assigned a case. Wink
Or assign a delegate for your Sparkfun Freebies Wink
comicIDIOT wrote:
Or assign a delegate for your Sparkfun Freebies Wink
Aye, but who could I assign? Smile Perhaps I could trust some Cemetechian to try for it for me; I'd feel it was too much imposition to put it on someone like Sara.
I'll have to fill up my shopping cart today =)
elfprince13 wrote:
I'll have to fill up my shopping cart today =)
Haha, although I'm not sure it's quite that stressful anymore. Smile Now who am I going to impose on to F5 for me if I have to be at jury duty tomorrow...
*bump* Free Day starts in 4 minutes! Once again, if any of the trusted admins/gmods/longtime members wants to help Cemetech with Free Day for the good of projects since I'm at jury duty and won't be able to F5 the Free Day pages, I would be greatly, greatly indebted.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours