KermMartian wrote:
I'd encourage you to finish this first, actually; how much more stuff do you need to do? It sounded to me as if you were nearly done with it.

Indeed I am. I'm 90% in to it from the starting point to the final goal; I can probably even get it done tonight... Smile
Go go go!!! Your doing a great job. Keep at it.
zeldaking wrote:
What he said. Smile Better to have N completed projects than 3N half-finished projects in my book, even though I do the exact same thing.
KermMartian wrote:
zeldaking wrote:
What he said. Smile Better to have N completed projects than 3N half-finished projects in my book, even though I do the exact same thing.

Fair enough Smile the emu code will take a few days to swallow anyways, it far exceeds 5000 lines of thick C code

<snipped crap alpha-blending sprite routine>

EDIT: turns out this routine is crap, I finally got a working one... working. will post in useful routines pronto.

EDIT2: been posted there for a while, for future reference.
This game looks really nice, and I can tell it is probably very addictive from the videos I've seen. It's amazing how it can run so fast (judging by the videos you've posted) on such a limited device.
I can't wait for this to be released, do you have any idea of what exactly still remains to be done before you can release this?
That is beautiful... I'm saddened by the thought that something this awesome could never be ported entirely to the TI-83 Plus Sad
gbl08ma wrote:
exactly still remains to be done before you can release this?

Mostly done, actually. Shields I thought would be a lot of code, but once I made those alpha channel blending routines, it was maybe 20 lines of code to add overall; they work and look amazing. I have yet to add bonus stages and the configure menu, the former of which is because I have to think of some crazy bonus stage enemy movements, and the latter because while it's not a lot of work, I'm being lazy with it.

Quote:
That is beautiful... I'm saddened by the thought that something this awesome could never be ported entirely to the TI-83 Plus

The only thing that holds it back is speed, and very obviously the different screen sizes and color depths. The actual binary for the SH3 target could actually easily fit on an 84+, taking up a little over a third of its flash storage space. Without the memory-expensive icons and by changing the graphical data to be monochrome, it would easily fit in 3-4 app pages.

Not that I'm ever going to port it, but I will of course throw C source when it is released, under Dalan Polytech's general license Smile (honestly, it's very, very loose in rules; basically, give me credit for whatever you do with the source, by throwing a link to my email/including the license file. Upon violation of the rules, all that happens is that authoritative figures of wherever the violation occurred online will be asked to remove the traces of it, and future releases will be places under the strict version that does not allow for sharing of modified source. Not too hard to follow.)

EDIT: Well, since it's now even closer to being done, any ideas on what to add that hasn't been proposed [by me] or implemented [by me]?
Without playing it on my own, it's hard to tell if anything else could be added or fixed Smile
gbl08ma wrote:
Without playing it on my own, it's hard to tell if anything else could be added or fixed Smile

Heh, I didn't even think about that, silly me. Ignore that question then until monday-ish.
Deep Thought wrote:
That is beautiful... I'm saddened by the thought that something this awesome could never be ported entirely to the TI-83 Plus Sad
Don't be sad! Be glad and come over to the Prizm side instead; you'll thank yourself. Smile
I know you're probably busy with other projects and your life, but allow for this question: are we going to see a release, even if beta, anytime soon?
It's just that I can't wait to play this Smile
He said on IRC that he's about 2 hours of work away from version 1.0; he's actually waiting for me, since it's a contest entry and Cemetech contest entries can't be released to the public until contest results are published. Smile
OK, thanks for the info. I saw other projects [that I thought that were contest entries] released on the archives, and thought this one could be released too, but I must be confused.
gbl08ma wrote:
OK, thanks for the info. I saw other projects [that I thought that were contest entries] released on the archives, and thought this one could be released too, but I must be confused.
I hope not; if they were, then it was an error by myself and my archiving staff. Smile I am hoping to finish grading this weekend, but we shall see.
when will it show up? I wait patiently for it to arrive.
looks really fun!
krazylegodrummer56 wrote:
when will it show up? I wait patiently for it to arrive.
looks really fun!

It unfortunately not within my power to release it yet, and I still don't know when I'll be able to Sad
that makes me sad Sad Crying
krazylegodrummer56 wrote:
that makes me sad :( :cry:

Well, Kerm++ for finally judging the entries, Raptor got second! I think y'all will see why when you play it though -- it truly is at an earlier beta state. But, I'd prefer to not get too far into development without some input; therefore, without further ado:

Raptor Beta 1

Implemented:
- Snazzy graphics (fast drawing/alpha blending)
- About 10 different fully functional enemies
- 4 bosses
- 5 different weapons
- 4 levels
- Hard difficulty
- Highscore saving/viewing
- Lives and Continues system
- Money system/space shop between levels
- Full source, resources and build system included

Planned:
- Configurable settings
- lower graphical additions for faster gameplay
- difficulty level lowering/(maybe raising too, considering an insane mode...)
- Tidied source
- More enemies
- More graphical additions

To install: put Raptor.g3a on your calculator when plugged into a computer via USB. Viola.

Notes: in it's current form it's very hard. I put in cheats for now to let you see everything I have, they are as follows (hold down ONLY the keys for each cheat, don't hold them all down and still expect something to happen):

- F1 + F3 + F5: 99 lives
- F2 + F4 + F6: all 5 weapons
- F1 + F2 + F5: more money than really spendable
- F1 + F2 + F4: Turn all cheats off again

Additional comment, this game won't work on the prizm emulator, it does some hacky hardware interfacing things to really be fast and crank out as much as possible in terms of gameplay, graphics, and mechanics. All the better on a real prizm!

Controls should be in the readme, I wont list them here (pretty intuitive anyways).

So, download:

|::| Raptor Beta 1 Download

Enjoy, and be sure to post comments/questions/ideas here.
Yay! The moment I've been waiting for Months, since I first saw this thread! Very Happy

Wait... it has all these graphics, and weights at only 261KB? Have you used some sort of compression) (sorry if it's been answered already)

I just started to play it, it looks awesome and addictive. But it's hard, as expected.

EDIT: ummm... and I guess it also drains a lot the battery. I better only play it when connected to USB.
gbl08ma wrote:
Yay! The moment I've been waiting for Months, since I first saw this thread! Very Happy

Wait... it has all these graphics, and weights at only 261KB? Have you used some sort of compression) (sorry if it's been answered already)

I just started to play it, it looks awesome and addictive. But it's hard, as expected.

Actually, no compression whatsoever is used. I just really used my textures efficiently. I also tried going for speed mostly in the source code, even setting optimization at -Ofast I believe, at cost of code size; that being said, you can always run it through GCC with -OS to cut off another 20KB if it's really irking space-saving freaks at all (though, honestly, as you said 261KB is pretty darned small already, so I doubt anyone will be bothered by it)

Edit: as for draining the battery, it shouldnt drain it much more than any other prizm game out there (in C), if at all; I don't do anything to up the CPU processing speed at all (not that I'm quite able to yet anyways).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours