Kaslai wrote:
I think that Kerm might be using Tetrizm in contest #8, in which case he cannot release any WIP binaries; if he does then it will be disqualified.

How would the main judge, creator/main admin of Cemetech and it's contests, with a project that is being worked on by more than one person supposed to enter the contest? Rolling Eyes I think he's making it more for the point of just having Tetris on the Prizm.
Kaslai wrote:
I think that Kerm might be using Tetrizm in contest #8, in which case he cannot release any WIP binaries; if he does then it will be disqualified.

That would be a great point, and if it is true it's definitely worth the wait, but as Ashbad said, I don't think it makes any sense...
Ashbad wrote:
Kaslai wrote:

How would the main judge, creator/main admin of Cemetech and it's contests, with a project that is being worked on by more than one person supposed to enter the contest? Rolling Eyes I think he's making it more for the point of just having Tetris on the Prizm.

This.

It's a partnership with Tifreak, and KermM is a judge so he can't enter it, nor can Tifreak.
I see then. I guess he's just being secretive =p
If he was trying to make a secret out of it, he wouldn't have posted screenshots and much less a video.

I guess we all need to wait and see...
Kaslai wrote:
I see then. I guess he's just being secretive =p

Well, Kerm doesn't usually release products until they're completely up to par, and in this case it seems he has a few more tweaks to make before releasing it. So, not secretive, but rather quality controlling Smile
gbl08ma wrote:
Hello everyone, this is my first post here..
Welcome to Cemetech! May I request that you introduce yourself in the thread we have for introductions?
Quote:
I own a Casio fx-CG 20, and from the first moment I have always looked for ways to expand its functionality. I have followed this forum very closely for the last weeks, and I have every single g3a available on the calculator.
I have also copied many times add-ins to my mates' calculators... free cemetech advertising! Smile
We appreciate it! Smile
Quote:

Well, on the subject: I have seen the video demonstrating Tetrizm... in my honest opinion, it's already very functional, and I'd be pleased to give a test build a try.
You know the open source idea that says to release often, well, that's exactly what I'm asking you to do. Smile I'm not saying to hurry making the game, I'm just saying that if you put an alpha/beta version, with what you have done at the moment, for people to download and try it themselves.
I certainly plan to do so. Since you're new, you haven't seen my usual release cycle, but I have a decade of calculator coding under by belt, and I always go through several betas, sometimes some RCs as well, before I release a final version. There are several things I want to get done before I release a beta:

1) Fix debouncing/timing issues. Explore use of RTC for this
2) Implement modes
3) Implement proper mode selection
4) Improve scoring
5) Implement game over detection
6) Implement high score display (one per mode) and creation

I plan to release a beta after completing (1), (2), (3), and (5).

Quote:
You know, other people might see bugs and come up with ideas that are better implemented now that the code is still being written and there's not much code.

But it's really up to you whether you release an alpha version or not. Just sayin'...
And I have indeed found that to be the case myself over my many years coding for the TI calculator community. Smile

Quote:
On another subject, I have some programming knowledge and I'd like to develop some addins myself and improve on others that have been done, the main problem is that there seems to be little information on how to compile for the Prizm, on Linux (and I don't want to reboot to Windows just to write some code!).
You should be using the [Cemetech] PrizmSDK, if you aren't already, which works cross-platform. What are you trying to use now? If you need help using it, feel free to post up a topic, and I'm sure those of us who do Prizm development would be happy to help.

Quote:
Cheers, and keep up the good work,
Gabriel / gbl08ma on the web
Thanks again! I hope to see you around here for years to come. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Welcome to Cemetech! May I request that you introduce yourself in the thread we have for introductions?

Sure I will! I don't like introducing myself very much and usually when I register on a forum, it's for replying to some thread (like what happened this time), so usually I end up posting right away without introducing myself...

I have tried to use the PrizmSDK on Linux, even though it looks like it's more setup for Windows, and I haven't had much success. Might be because I don't have everything needed installed (I have GCC, but I'm not sure it's able to compile for the calc's processor architecture). I'll give it another spin when I have time.
You don't need GCC; it's part of the PrizmSDK. We have a version of GCC in it that's specifically configured for the SH3/4 processor that the Casio Prizm uses; you'll just need to compile from source. Jonimus is the point man on that project and has done the vast majority of the work on it, so he can clarify what exactly you need to do. Thanks for introducing yourself.
As I said on HCWP a few weeks ago, I'm glad to finally see a Tetris clone in the works for the prizm. It looks great as well, especially the blocks. Smile
DJ_O wrote:
As I said on HCWP a few weeks ago, I'm glad to finally see a Tetris clone in the works for the prizm. It looks great as well, especially the blocks. Smile
Thanks very much. Time constraints and other projects are currently keeping me from adding to this project, but it actually is quite far towards being playable, lacking only proper key debouncing, detection of reaching the top of the screen, and its modes.
well, i finally read this topic, and i really like it, even if it's for the prizm xp if you need some help for modes or so, you can always ask me, but i don't think you'll need this help seeing your experience Smile
Nick wrote:
well, i finally read this topic, and i really like it, even if it's for the prizm xp if you need some help for modes or so, you can always ask me, but i don't think you'll need this help seeing your experience Smile
Thank you; I appreciate your vote of confidence. Do you have anything against the Prizm in particular, or you just happen to be a TI fan? I too was a die-hard TI fan until they started trying to push out the very community that helped vault their devices to popularity; have you read my essay on the subject?

As far as Tetrizm goes, the only modes I'm sure of at the moment are Survival (live as long as possible) and Marathon (clear N lines as fast as possible).
no, i was just joking.. i have nothing against it, i even 'hate' the nspire more because of the closed structure xs but i had to buy one so i had no choice.
and what essay do you mean? about the closed nspire strategy?
you could also make a time trial mode, you have 120 secs and need to make as much points as possible, pretty hard Smile i'm working on implementing them in colortetris2 right now...
Time trial sounds like a fun mode to me; thanks for the idea! Smile I mean this essay:

Casio Prizm: Why TI Calc Coders Should Abandon the Nspire CX
KermMartian wrote:
1) Fix debouncing/timing issues. Explore use of RTC for this

If you mean key debouncing, I'm not sure why you'd need use of any timers for this, if what you want to do is make sure the key is detected only once each time it's pressed. You can literally just have two key variables (or two 8*sizeof(unsigned short) long key arrays) that hold values; right before a lastkey variable is updated with PRGM_GetKey or similar variants, update a holdkey variable to the value of the old lastkey value. So, checking keydown pseudo-events would be like:

Code:
if(lastkey==KEY_PRGM_SHIFT && holdkey==KEY_PRGM_NONE) { ... }

for checking for the shift key being pressed, and for it being released:

Code:
if(lastkey==KEY_PRGM_NONE && holdkey==KEY_PRGM_SHIFT) { ... }

And then, if you want it to keep like key debouncing used in MSWord (you hold down a key, it writes that character, you keep holding it down, but it doesn't start spamming that character into the document until maybe half a second has passed and the key has still been pressed down) you could then just have a reference RTC value that you would check against (I believe the value returned by RTC_GetTicks() is updated almost exactly 15 times per second) like so, waiting if a key has been held for at least half a second:

Code:
if(lastkey==KEY_PRGM_SHIFT && holdkey==KEY_PRGM_NONE) { wait_shift_rtc = RTC_GetTicks(); }

if(lastkey==KEY_PRGM_SHIFT && holdkey==KEY_PRGM_SHIFT && RTC_GetTicks()>wait_shift_rtc+7) { ... }

It's basically what I used for raptor when it had single-keypress at a time capabilities for debouncing, and it works very very well. As for now, I basically do the same, but I use key arrays that I directly copy from the keyboard_register array (8*sizeof(unsigned short) bytes starting at address 0xA44B0000)
New request for features: ghost pieces, holds, and hard drops?
Ashbad wrote:
Ghost pieces: As in showing the outline of where the piece will end up?
Holds: Why?
Hard drops: Which key would be good for this?
KermMartian wrote:
Ashbad wrote:
Ghost pieces: As in showing the outline of where the piece will end up?
Holds: Why?
Hard drops: Which key would be good for this?

Ghost pieces: yep, they're usually a semi-transparent version of the color of the piece being dropped, btw.

Holds: allows for much more strategy and faster play, such as like you can hold bad pieces until they fit in, or hold a long I piece and get two tetrises back to back.

Hard Drops: something natural, perhaps like shift Smile

Also, will the main mode use normal tetris standards for increasing levels/level speeds? How high of a level will it support, 10, or 20? And, will it support back-to-back combos? (meaning, lines scored right after another line(s) was scored gives you slightly higher points for those recent lines, and keeps giving more combo bonus points for longer chains)
How does everyone else feel about those? I just added hard drops, but I'm not terribly inclined for the other two. Normal tetris scoring and speeds, yes. Top-speed level is 100, but you can keep playing after level 100. Back-to-back combos are not currently planned.

Also, does anyone see anything excessively dumb here that would be making this not work?

Code:
         prevkey = 0;
         //stuff
         while(harddrop == 0 && timenexttick > RTC_GetTicks()) {
            if (key = PRGM_GetKey()) {
               //key was returned

if (key == prevkey) {
                  debouncecount = DEBOUNCE_RECOUNT;
               } else if (key != prevkey && debouncecount != 0) {
                  debouncecount--;
               } else {
                  debouncecount = DEBOUNCE_RECOUNT;

if (key == KEY_PRGM_DOWN) {
                     timenexttick = 0;
                  } else if (key == KEY_PRGM_MENU) {
                     gameactive = 0;
                     goto finishgamefree;
                  } else if (key == KEY_SHIFT) {
                     harddrop = 1;
                  } else {
                     int newpiecex = curpiecex;
                     int newrot = rotation;
                     if (key == KEY_PRGM_LEFT && curpiecex > 0)
                        newpiecex--;
                     if (key == KEY_PRGM_RIGHT && curpiecex < GRID_WIDTH-width)
                        newpiecex++;
                     if (key == KEY_PRGM_UP && key != prevkey)   //rotation gets unconditionally debounced
                        newrot = (rotation+3)%4;
                     //stuff here
                     }
                  }
               }
               prevkey = key;   //this has to be after key checking
            }

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours