Wikipedia is going to be blacked out for the 18th!
Wow, that'll be great!
graphmastur wrote:
Wikipedia is going to be blacked out for the 18th!

Is that confirmed now?

@Kerm, making things really bad is kinda the point. It hits the message home to otherwise timid users that unless they fight this they really could lose their favorite online services.
Yes, it's confirmed completely now. DShiznit, I'm fully aware, and that's why I support this. Reddit is kinda useless, since most Reddit users likely already know and hate SOPA, but Wikipedia will reach out to a huge percentage of the computer-using population.
They've actually started talking about SOPA on MSNBC now, so Wikipedia really is having an effect.
Well, wikipedia is down as of 30 mins ago.
I did everything I can do to help: signing all the petitions (even though I'm Canadian), installed a Stop Censorship censor bar over the Omnimaga logo and blacked out Omnimaga's download section (like Wikipedia did).

Even though I'm not American, I take this like I was American. Shame I have no US representative to annoy with that.
Juju, oh, Omnimaga is participating too? That's good to hear. It's important even if you're Canadian, because if the US legislature passes it, it's only a matter of time before Canada and other countries pass similar legislature.
Google is operating a protest page pretty obviously as well. Keep in mind that SOPA and PIPA are both problem legislation from where we're standing.
elfprince13 wrote:
Google is operating a protest page pretty obviously as well.
That they are, and it looks like Google Docs is struggling under the weight of that PDF. I've seen Google, Questionable Content, Wikipedia, EFF, and of course Cemetech so far.
"The legislation is opposed by the Mozilla Corporation,[33] Facebook,[33] Electronic Frontier Foundation,[34] Yahoo!, eBay, American Express, reddit, Google,[35] Reporters Without Borders, Human Rights Watch,[36] English Wikipedia,[37], Uncyclopedia[citation needed], and many more." -- PROTECT IP

Also, Obama, Vint Cerf (a founder of the internet) and more are protesting SOPA.

Again, cheers KermM for the blackout.
KermMartian wrote:
Juju, oh, Omnimaga is participating too? That's good to hear. It's important even if you're Canadian, because if the US legislature passes it, it's only a matter of time before Canada and other countries pass similar legislature.
This, and the fact Omni is hosted in the United States.

Nonetheless even if no similar legislature were passed outside the States, I wouldn't be surprised if US-based sites were eventually shut down or blocked. I still remember a few years ago when a popular download site got forced to block Canadians.

I'm glad other websites are participating and that huge communities are, too. Hopefully we get listened to.
Wikipedia is hardly blacked out, is it? Just switch off JavaScript and it's still there. Razz
If anyone is planning to black out their site and haven't done it yet, they ought to read
http://www.webmonkey.com/2012/01/protest-sopa-blackout-your-website-the-google-friendly-way/ and https://plus.google.com/115984868678744352358/posts/Gas8vjZ5fmB
I kinda like what http://demonoid.me did, that's pretty nifty. The site itself is dark, and your mouse cursor acts like a flash light.
benryves wrote:
Wikipedia is hardly blacked out, is it? Just switch off JavaScript and it's still there. Razz
I almost didn't notice the blackout because I had an AdBlock filter for blocking the donation banners that also seemed to block the SOPA/PIPA message.
Has Cemetech actually blocked anything? All I see is a little banner. I suppose given the relatively insignificant impact Cemetech has on the net relative to large websites like Reddit or Wikipedia, such a black out wouldn't serve much purpose in moving the agenda anyway, so I guess it makes sense.
DShiznit wrote:
Has Cemetech actually blocked anything? All I see is a little banner. I suppose given the relatively insignificant impact Cemetech has on the net relative to large websites like Reddit or Wikipedia, such a black out wouldn't serve much purpose in moving the agenda anyway, so I guess it makes sense.

Hit refresh. The style-sheets seem to have a way-too-long cache-life. We haven't blocked anything, but the backgrounds are blacked out.

[edit]

Wired has a very cool setup today.
DShiznit wrote:
The background is black; I didn't go with a full blackout because other than a few exceptions, we're largely tech-savvy users who already know and dislike SOPA/PIPA and in many cases have been actively opposing the bills.
I should have blacked out C6M to some degree.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 10
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours