38%  [ 5 ]
Bubbull - the Water-type bull
 0%  [ 0 ]
Seedog - the Plant-type dog
 7%  [ 1 ]
None - the game isn't even out yet
 53%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 13

So I'm programming a game for the TI-84 CSE known as TI-Beast. I know that I've said that I'm programming things before and that they failed, but this is coming along great. The game is basically an RPG for the TI-84 CSE similar to Pokemon, but sort of different in its own aspect. This is sort of what you can do in the game:
Travel the world and collect 80+ Beasts.
Use your Beasts to battle.
Multi-player (a work in progress): battling and trading Beasts from calculator to calculator.
Eight towns spread out around the region.
A chance to become a Master in the famed Colosseum.
Take down the criminal XB organization.

I've been having some problems lately, so it may be a while before this game is posted. I'll try to post it ASAP, but that could take weeks/months.

Anyways, what do you think? Any suggestions?
Sounds cool! How are the beasts stored, and is there anything preventing people from cheating and making more?
Also, feel free to post troublesome bits of code. We are happy to help out!
There isn't really a cheat-proof storing method yet.

Instead, the data is stored in a matrix (at the moment). There are also Base Stat codes (like scrambled up numbers) that determine a Beast's strength anyways, so the only thing that the player can do to cheat would be increasing the items in their inventory or leveling up their Beasts through cheating.
How are you storing the names of the beast? Encoding a string though numbers? (I'm interested because I'm working on the similar problem of storing NPC names and stats)
Calc_Knight wrote:

Instead, the data is stored in a matrix (at the moment). There are also Base Stat codes (like scrambled up numbers) that determine a Beast's strength anyways, so the only thing that the player can do to cheat would be increasing the items in their inventory or leveling up their Beasts through cheating.

Well, you can probably rely on obfuscation to prevent people from messing with it. All you have to do really is to make the data storage a bit complicated (some simple ciphering, encrypting or even compression should do) to prevent inexperienced programmers from messing with it. They can't really modify something they don't understand, and if it's just gibberish, then it's hard to understand. Of course, this is not fool proof, and some people will be able to go through your code and cheat, but that kind of ruins the game for them, so I guess too bad for them Razz
mr womp womp wrote:
Calc_Knight wrote:

Well, you can probably rely on obfuscation to prevent people from messing with it. All you have to do really is to make the data storage a bit complicated (some simple ciphering, encrypting or even compression should do) to prevent inexperienced programmers from messing with it. They can't really modify something they don't understand, and if it's just gibberish, then it's hard to understand. Of course, this is not fool proof, and some people will be able to go through your code and cheat, but that kind of ruins the game for them, so I guess too bad for them Razz

I'd multiply by a random integer, then change the integer to a letter and put it into a string, and repeat a few times. Only problems are memory and string length limits.
I was going to encrypt the stats of each individual Beast in a formula that would result in a certain value after all the stats are plugged in. Then, when the Beast is being called for whatever reason, the stats will be taken from that coded value and then unscrambled into normal stats temporarily.
Anyways, I'm releasing a Demo of the first part of the game soon.

This Demo will consist of:
- One town
- About 20 of the Beasts
- The introduction of the game
- The first rival battles
Hey when is this coming out again? Do you know because I’d love to play this
Calc_Knight wrote:
Anyways, I'm releasing a Demo of the first part of the game soon.

This Demo will consist of:
- One town
- About 20 of the Beasts
- The introduction of the game
- The first rival battles
The developer's last post on Cemetech was in 2016. I'm sorry Frosty, but this is never going to be finished.
TheLastMillennial wrote:
The developer's last post on Cemetech was in 2016. I'm sorry Frosty, but this is never going to be finished.

RIP Ti-Beast
Which is a shame since it did look promising.
tr1p1ea wrote:
Which is a shame since it did look promising.

Yeah, I agree! I love the CSE, I would have definitely played this
TheLastMillennial wrote:

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours