Cover 1 (blue-dressed female)
 9%  [ 3 ]
Cover 2 (male)
 63%  [ 21 ]
Cover 3 (tall-hat female)
 27%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 33

oktal wrote:
Oh wow, Kerm. I like it a lot! It's actually pretty hilarious. I think you should go with that design. I don't think you'd need permission from TI to use a diagram-like image of a TI-83+, especially if you created it yourself.

Oh, this book is for TI-BASIC?
Yes, it's mostly a TI-BASIC book, with a bit about Hybrid BASIC and ASM at the end to give people a small taste of those languages. Why do youask?

And I hope you're right about that; that's what I am thinking too. I just need to figure out if code will look good in the background or not. Can you guys tell me what sort of things you had in mind?
That looks awesome, Kerm. Very Happy I also suggest that, on the screens of the calculators, you could put screenshots of the calculator doing different things like editing code, graphing an equation, or doing math. It may look a little cluttered, though.
I love that design Very Happy And, right now, I'm happy with how it has lots of detail but doesn't look very cluttered. So, my only concern with putting code in the background is that it doesn't take away from the calculator pictures. I'm thinking, if you were to put it anywhere, that you should put it in the top right corner and have it fade (so the right is lighter than the left). It may look better on the other side, or to tie everything together with the DaVinci thing, you could put the code on there backwards Smile
I tried code in the background, and I must say I just wasn't crazy about it. I also tried items on the calculators' screens, and that looks quite nice. I've sent off a PDF to the cover contact at Manning; I included a version with blank screens and one with contents on the screens. I really hope she lets me use one of them! Would you guys be interested in seeing the one with filled screens?
Yes. Smile
Could have dropped some of your code off into the screen that you are putting into said book. Make it look like the program editor.

Also, the latest pic of the cover looks nice.
tifreak8x wrote:
Could have dropped some of your code off into the screen that you are putting into said book. Make it look like the program editor.

Thanks very much. Smile And yes, that's precisely what I did, on the leftmost of the three screens. I have some of the MOVECHAR code there, a graph of two sinusoids in the middle, and some math on the right:

Edit: Hell, jpeg pwned the screen images. :/
Out of the initial 3, I like the 2nd one. That dude just looks cool. Kinda reminds me of the Penguin in Batman.

The daVinci one looks cool, but I like the old dude more.

When I first heard sketch, I was kinda thinking something like this: (Maybe a little more drawn/pencil-y)

(found the 84+ image on google and used an online tool to convert it to a sketch. obv someone else could do better)
With what Foamy said, you could put an image like that a piece of lined paper and make it look like someone was doodling in a notebook during class (maybe even leaving some of it out, so that it's unfinished). But I don't know if that would look better than the other one or if it would be worth it to have yet another cover idea. I do think it would look nice, though.
Foamy and _player, I like that idea too, that could make a very cool cover as well. If they get back to me and say that they're open to covers other than those three people, I will suggest that concept as well and see what they think about it. Until I hear back, though, it's entirely possible that they won't be open to the idea of non-people covers at all.
I see you corrected how the bottom of the background calculators align with the circle. I was going to say something about that, but ya caught it. ;D

I personally like it better without the graph showing. I really like the idea of having a BASIC souce visible on the center calculator's screen. I'd just screencap the BASIC editor in an emulator that demonstrated some appealing code. Then shoop. XD
KermMartian wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:

Thanks very much. Smile And yes, that's precisely what I did, on the leftmost of the three screens. I have some of the MOVECHAR code there, a graph of two sinusoids in the middle, and some math on the right:

Edit: Hell, jpeg pwned the screen images. :/

This should definatly be the cover! But what would be even cooler is if you could possibly have some code running in the background, perhaps on the right, if possible? other than that, I must say, excellent work, it looks amazing Very Happy

also foamy, you know it would be pretty cool if that drawing went on the back or perhaps one of the inside flaps.
Hehe, how about Doors CS on the rightmost calculator? That would be a ridiculous coup d'etat. Wink Still waiting to hear back about the concept in general, though.
Yep, that would work too. I now assume there should be a CD in the book that has DCS on it Wink
qazz42 wrote:
Yep, that would work too. I now assume there should be a CD in the book that has DCS on it Wink
Well, there's definitely going to be a set of electronic resources, mainly the .8xps of all the programs presented in the book, but I think it's going to be a URL rather than a CD.
That new cover idea looks great! ... Though I think paying homage to Babbage (or lovelace) is awesome, I don't think that most people would get the reference (unfortunately) ... This new cover is probably the best choice because it looks more practical (and very nice!). I also approve of the sketch being that of a TI83+ rather than an 84 (I like the compact rectangular keys and case; the newer setup is just too flashy ... stupid marketing!) Smile
shkaboinka wrote:
That new cover idea looks great! ... Though I think paying homage to Babbage (or lovelace) is awesome, I don't think that most people would get the reference (unfortunately) ... This new cover is probably the best choice because it looks more practical (and very nice!). I also approve of the sketch being that of a TI83+ rather than an 84 (I like the compact rectangular keys and case; the newer setup is just too flashy ... stupid marketing!) Smile
Yeah, I agree with you on that; the TI-83+ is the perfect calculator in my opinion. I really hope that Manning is as receptive to this idea as all of you guys have been.
While it would be a long-shot, I can see you possibly getting on the Daily Show with this, perhaps during one of their slower weeks when they aren't interviewing Nobel Prize winners...
DShiznit wrote:
While it would be a long-shot, I can see you possibly getting on the Daily Show with this, perhaps during one of their slower weeks when they aren't interviewing Nobel Prize winners...
Hey, I have no objection at all. Smile I'd love to spread my message of programming for the people on cheap, easy-to-use devices.
My vote goes to the DaVinci.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours