The following video demonstrates the Siri feature of iOS5 for the iPhone 4S device:

Edit: sorry about the text-less post.
I think that this proves that apple isn't the terrible company everyone here(with the exception of a few) seems to think they are.
Posts with no text and just a video are generally frowned upon in Cemetech, could you describe the video and how it relates to the title of the topic?
What is this? It seems to be a shaky video of a guy pushing a button.
Oweng4000 wrote:
I think that this proves that apple isn't the terrible company everyone here(with the exception of a few) seems to think they are.
I'm not sure I see the connection between Apple's business practices and an Easter egg in a piece of software that they didn't develop.
Yes.
I see nothing in this that makes me change my outlook on Apple's overpricing on hardware, their crappy software and general incompatibilities with the rest of the world. :/
Yes.
On a side-note, I'm all for easter eggs! I love finding them in very professional software, because it shows that serious developers / businesses can have a sense of humor Smile ... Though you don't find them as much anymore :/
benryves wrote:
Oweng4000 wrote:
I'm not sure I see the connection between Apple's business practices and an Easter egg in a piece of software that they didn't develop.

Well they did develop this. It's Siri, a feature that comes standard with IOs 5. I don't agree with the hate on apple, but this was a really dumb post of mine and I wish I could remove it.
uh, I really don't see how this improves our respect with apple. and I do hope you know that we do not hate apple, you see. We do, however, have a heavy dislike for Macs being abominations for people who like money, functionality, and engineering (to quote killerjohn) Wink
Oweng, no. Apple did not develop Siri. They bought it. Siri also isn't a set part of the iPhone. It's technically in "beta," meaning it could be gone in the next iOS5 update or with the next iPhone, or it'll leave beta and remain a part of iOS.
Oweng4000 wrote:
benryves wrote:
Oweng4000 wrote:

Well they did develop this. It's Siri, a feature that comes standard with IOs 5. I don't agree with the hate on apple, but this was a really dumb post of mine and I wish I could remove it.

They didn't develop the software, they just integrated it with iOS 5.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siri
Regarding the deletion of this topic, I've locked it. I'll "delete" it shortly.
Um, why? I see no reason this should be suspended or deleted.
Oweng4000 wrote:
but this was a really dumb post of mine and I wish I could remove it.
I see a reason. Anything to avoid another PC Debate war - or in this case, iOS vs Android war - I'm all for. It's the last thing we need on this forum.
Seems like it was about to be basically over, though. He admitted it was dumb, was shown apple didn't make siri, and that likely would've ended it. Until it gets hostile and out of control, I think we should keep a topic around.
I don't agree with locking this topic or suspending it. I have reinstated this topic. Smile Feel free to discuss it privately with me if you still disagree, comic.
[double-post because the previous was an administrative post]

Regarding the contents of this topic: as stated, Siri was not developed by Apply. However, neither is it "revolutionary" or "magical" or a "breakthrough" or any of the terms that Apple enthusiasts and Apple themselves love to bandy about. (Don't believe how monotonous Apple is when describing their products? Hyperbolize yourself:

). For example, Android had Siri-like features far before Apple bought the technology; Android let you dictate and send texts via voice, set alarms, and all those sorts of things. The following is a sample (provocatively-titled, surely) article discussing the topic:

http://www.carrypad.com/2011/10/05/how-apples-siri-just-stole-voice-control-from-android/

And to address your topic title. No one hates Apple, they are frustrated by mindless fanboys, but I know that people like myself are frustrated by mindless fanboys of any company. "I think that this proves that apple isn't the terrible company..." No. They're not a terrible company, and neither is Microsoft. In fact, few big software and hardware corporations are truly evil, though I wouldn't say the same for financial and petroleum companies. However, they are, after all, a company, one whose responsibility is to make a profit and to post positive numbers for their shareholders. As much of a touchy-feely face as Apple (or anyone other company) puts on, they're still in the business of making money, and it doesn't make sense to mindlessly support a company when they could care less about you. Sure, you could support one or some or even most of their products, but it needs to be "X product is good because...". For me, there's not a lot good to be said for Apple products compared to other companies' products. My personal requirements are that I pay for capabilities and features, not fancy aesthetic design, that I can install anything I want on my hardware, and that my devices are reliable and tough. Apple products are none of those things. I have turned away from the TI-Nspire for the same reason; just because I liked TI in the past doesn't mean I have to mindlessly accept the Nspire when the far more capable and open and inexpensive and powerful Casio Prizm is available.
KermMartian wrote:
[double-post because the previous was an administrative post]

Regarding the contents of this topic: as stated, Siri was not developed by Apply. However, neither is it "revolutionary" or "magical" or a "breakthrough" or any of the terms that Apple enthusiasts and Apple themselves love to bandy about. (Don't believe how monotonous Apple is when describing their products? Hyperbolize yourself:

). For example, Android had Siri-like features far before Apple bought the technology; Android let you dictate and send texts via voice, set alarms, and all those sorts of things. The following is a sample (provocatively-titled, surely) article discussing the topic:

http://www.carrypad.com/2011/10/05/how-apples-siri-just-stole-voice-control-from-android/

And to address your topic title. No one hates Apple, they are frustrated by mindless fanboys, but I know that people like myself are frustrated by mindless fanboys of any company. "I think that this proves that apple isn't the terrible company..." No. They're not a terrible company, and neither is Microsoft. In fact, few big software and hardware corporations are truly evil, though I wouldn't say the same for financial and petroleum companies. However, they are, after all, a company, one whose responsibility is to make a profit and to post positive numbers for their shareholders. As much of a touchy-feely face as Apple (or anyone other company) puts on, they're still in the business of making money, and it doesn't make sense to mindlessly support a company when they could care less about you. Sure, you could support one or some or even most of their products, but it needs to be "X product is good because...". For me, there's not a lot good to be said for Apple products compared to other companies' products. My personal requirements are that I pay for capabilities and features, not fancy aesthetic design, that I can install anything I want on my hardware, and that my devices are reliable and tough. Apple products are none of those things. I have turned away from the TI-Nspire for the same reason; just because I liked TI in the past doesn't mean I have to mindlessly accept the Nspire when the far more capable and open and inexpensive and powerful Casio Prizm is available.

No offense Kerm, but so far I have not found any thing that I cannot install on my mac book. wine allows me to install windows applications, and I am going to use bootcamp to make an ubuntu dual boot. As far as the iPad and iPhone, I don't have either device but I would jailbreak them the moment I got my hands on them. I love apple products, but I'm not a "mindless fanboy." And as far as apple not caring about it's costumers, my mother, who owns a four year old macbook pro, recently had hard drive issues. The apple support people spent three or four hours of their time diagnosing the issue and fixing it for her.
Yes, because built into the purchase price of her Mac was the salary of the people who helped her with it. It's fine for her, but that wouldn't make sense for me; I'd rather fix it myself, since I have the knowledge and the means, and therefore pay less from the computer. And isn't it funny that you jailbreak your device? Apple explicitly wants you to not be able to do that, otherwise there would be no such thing as jailbreaking in the first place. Also, be sure not to conflate Apple hardware with Apple software; although I'm not crazy about either, I have more issues with Apple hardware than software, especially in terms of price. Wine is a Linux application, so your argument there is mostly an argument for Linux, not Mac OS. And I'm not offended, I'm not "anti-Mac"; as I said, they're a company, and they make money whether I care to hate them or love them or ignore them.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 9
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours