For many months, I've wanted to make a video series about playing various games on your calculator. I know that many people, especially those outside the community, get lost when faced with the task of uploading and playing games on their calculators, so I figured a video series would be a nice way to help them learn. Of course, it also provides a perfect opportunity to promote Cemetech as a resource for people looking for help to visit, as well as a venue to show the powers of Doors CS, a win-win for everyone. I started with Sam Heald's classic ASM game, Super Mario 1.2, as the subject of the first in the series. Indeed, the level file included can't be loaded as-is (it needs a fixed level pack, so it's a great candidate for a how-to video. You can see the results of my first effort below. I'm fairly happy with the simplicity of the presentation, but for future videos, I hope to add a few more details. In particular, a video on downloading and installing TI-Connect might be good, and as far as the game videos themselves, I believe that a few video clips of inserting the direct USB or SilverLink cable and a video of the TI-Connect process might be helpful. I hope that you gallant folks at Cemetech, especially the ones with experience capturing screen videos, might be interested in helping with this project!

Very interesting video, though the music leaves a little something to be desired :p

Edit:

Also, don't think http://tifreakware.net/tutorials/link.htm is good enough for explaining how to do such things for linking? :<
I'd edit your post, Kerm, but I don't know the location of the file. I'm sure I'd find it if I watched your video though.

Very nice, I saw you uploaded this when I visited YouTube today.
This looks pretty cool, Kerm. I think it's a great idea. Very Happy
comicIDIOT wrote:
I'd edit your post, Kerm, but I don't know the location of the file. I'm sure I'd find it if I watched your video though.
[. . .]
I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new.

I remember you saying this a long time ago Smile I think you should also promote things like programming/making your own games, though I guess sending them here is a pretty good way to do that. My only concern is that people who don't want to learn to program, or are generally bad/obnoxious people start coming here :/
Catherine: I think the risk of a lot of really obnoxious people is definitely a huge one, but it might be offset by an influx of new blood. I love the idea of somehow inviting people to make their own games, perhaps at the end?

"Didn't work? Still lost?
Want to make your own cool games?
Visit the Cemetech forum:
http://www.cemetech.net/forum"

Ztrumpet: Many thanks! Any suggestions for what other games I should do?

ComicIDIOT: Neat. Very Happy Are you one of those people who can do screen capturing? Actually, do you have a TI-83+/84+ calculator yet?

tifreak8x: Agreed, the music is pretty poor. I had my computer muted when I finished and previewed the video. I wanted to use an MT3 version, but my desktop is down, so I couldn't transcode it. Sad tifreak8x, excellent, I'll link to that. Smile Thanks.
I would have linked to Super Mario version 2.0. Unfortunatly that one isn't on ti-calc.org, but It can be found here. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
ComicIDIOT: Neat. Very Happy Are you one of those people who can do screen capturing? Actually, do you have a TI-83+/84+ calculator yet?
I do own one, but my sister has it. Feel free to walk down to Wall Street, NYC and shout around for her like a mad man as a reminder that I can use it back Very Happy

I can't do screen captures, but I can take 1080p video fairly professionally with my DSLR, tripod and my lights.
Hey, this sounds like a pretty sweet idea. You might want to consider featuring Portal X when it comes out in like two weeks!

I can't access the video cause youtube's blocked here. Can you post a direct download link to the video file?
My channel liked and favorited it Smile
comicIDIOT wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
I do own one, but my sister has it. Feel free to walk down to Wall Street, NYC and shout around for her like a mad man as a reminder that I can use it back Very Happy
She might mistake me for an Occupy Wall Street protester. Wink Also, the NYC was entirely unnecessary; I remember where she works, and there aren't too many well-known Wall Streets. Wink

Quote:
I can't do screen captures, but I can take 1080p video fairly professionally with my DSLR, tripod and my lights.
I'll have to remember that...

Ashbad wrote:
My channel liked and favorited it Smile
Many thanks!

buttsfredkin wrote:
Hey, this sounds like a pretty sweet idea. You might want to consider featuring Portal X when it comes out in like two weeks!

I can't access the video cause youtube's blocked here. Can you post a direct download link to the video file?
I'm afraid I can't. Sad You have no way to get through to YouTube? And that's a great suggestion.

Sorunome: Ah, I didn't realize there was a 2.0, or if I did, I had forgotten.
Great video Kerm, it should be great to newbies who want to start playing games on their calculator. The video is detailed but simple and easy to follow. I also like how you have it as just pictures and text, so that way one can just pause the video on a step, no need to go back a few seconds every minute or so, which could be a problem with some videos.

one thing, why didn't you use my Mario theme MT3 ;.; (Just Joking)
Well, I can always use proxies...the hard part is watching it sometime when my sibling tattle tales can't watch Razz
qazz42 wrote:
Great video Kerm, it should be great to newbies who want to start playing games on their calculator. The video is detailed but simple and easy to follow. I also like how you have it as just pictures and text, so that way one can just pause the video on a step, no need to go back a few seconds every minute or so, which could be a problem with some videos.
Thank you very much, that was my idea. Smile I'm glad that it came across well!

Quote:
one thing, why didn't you use my Mario theme MT3 ;.; (Just Joking)
KermMartian wrote:
tifreak8x: Agreed, the music is pretty poor. I had my computer muted when I finished and previewed the video. I wanted to use an MT3 version, but my desktop is down, so I couldn't transcode it. Sad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours