elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
Are you f*cking kidding me? Al-Awlaki was an ENEMY COMBATANT. He RENOUNCED HIS CITIZENSHIP AND JOINED AN ENEMY STATE THAT DECLARED WAR ON THE USA. How the hell can any world leader defend their country and their people if they can't f*cking kill those who are actively fighting wars against them?

He had dual Yemeni and American citizenship, and Yemen is not at war with the US, last I heard. Telingly, a Yemeni court actually did try him, in absentia, whereas the US had a secret panel, outside the court system, order his assassination.

There are no words for how dumb this is. You're just creating controversy for the sake of creating controversy. "Spreading FUD", if you will. We ARE at war with Al Queda. Al-Awlaki WAS part of Al Queda. You can't fight a war against someone if you can't kill their leaders based on their previous alignments.
DShiznit wrote:
We ARE at war with Al Queda.

Nope.

• Al-Qaeda isn't a country, so we can't be at war with them.
  • We haven't declared war on anybody since 1942.

It's a serious legal question.
What about the "War on Terrorism"? It might not be officially declared but it's still a "war", right?
Lucas W wrote:
What about the "War on Terrorism"? It might not be officially declared but it's still a "war", right?

You can't apply rules governing warfare to something that isn't a war, and a war is something that exists between two nations.

The "war on drugs" doesn't give the feds authorization to put a hit out on the local pot growers.
Al-Awlaki is a terrorist douchebag who enlisted islamic extremists in a dangerous group devoted to the killing of American citizens, among other crimes.

So I really don't give a sh*t that we assasinated him. He had it coming.
Wow, this has gone decently off topic.

Anyways, any updates on the protests?
Ashbad wrote:

As far as the Wall Street protests go, I saw an absolutely massive crowd of skaters and skateboarders around noon on Saturday streaming down Broadway, presumably going to the protests, but try as I might, I couldn't find a single reference to it on Google News. Maybe my Google-fu is poor.
KermMartian wrote:
Ashbad wrote:

As far as the Wall Street protests go, I saw an absolutely massive crowd of skaters and skateboarders around noon on Saturday streaming down Broadway, presumably going to the protests, but try as I might, I couldn't find a single reference to it on Google News. Maybe my Google-fu is poor.

You should get better with The Google ASAP.

But yeah, I saw a few tagged "#cemetech" tweets in SAX the past few days about skateboarders. I thought it was actually a separate marathon event, but I'm not sure.
Ashbad wrote:

Actually, that's off topic too. This is a topic about free speech, and violations thereof.
elfprince13 wrote:
Ashbad wrote:

Actually, that's off topic too. This is a topic about free speech, and violations thereof.

Indeed, wrong thread Sad my bad. In which case...

Any update on this proposed Constitutional Workaround?
elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
We ARE at war with Al Queda.

Nope.

• Al-Qaeda isn't a country, so we can't be at war with them.
  • We haven't declared war on anybody since 1942.

It's a serious legal question.

Oh good so I can just close my eyes and pretend we still have a WTC and thousands of soldiers aren't dying in the Middle East. That's great.
Yes, because of course it was Iraq that attacked us on September 11th, right?
DShiznit wrote:
Oh good so I can just close my eyes and pretend we still have a WTC and thousands of soldiers aren't dying in the Middle East. That's great.

You sound like a foaming neo-con right now.

KermMartian wrote:

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new.
KermMartian wrote:

Of course not, and I never expressed any love or support for that war(in fact the videos of our helicopters blowing up vans full of children sickens me and almost makes me hate America). It is also arguable at best if there's anything that can still be done in Afghanistan. That doesn't change the fact that Al Queda does still exist. That doesn't change the fact that their entire purpose is the destruction of our country. And it doesn't change the fact that we are at war with them.

Elf, if I sound like a foaming neo-con, it's because this is one of the few issues in which both Republicans AND Democrats still basically agree, and you're being argumentative. You're creating division where there was none, destroying one of the last bits of unity we still have.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours