Some good senators from the "civil rights" party are introducing a bill to redefine free speech as a privilege, rather than a right.
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111001/00002316160/ny-state-senators-say-weve-got-too-much-free-speech-introduce-bill-to-fix-that.shtml
This will never pass.
I'm surprised that came from the left o.o
Deep Thought wrote:

... how so? In most cases people with Right-Winged political standings are pro-less government, more free speech, and Left-Winged are usually Stronger Government at the cost of some freedoms; they're stereotypes of course, but they *are* generally correct. In fact, it's issues like these that usually split the groups "liberals" and "conservatives" farther apart. When I saw this, the first thing I thought was "Extremist Liberals".

I am 100% positive this will never pass; first off, no one treats anything from an extremist seriously. Secondly, doing something like this will create so many right wing extremist terrorist attacks; people will be joining private militias at a rate of tomorrow to challenge the government on this one. It's one thing if they take something like the 2nd amendment away; *no one* will stand for this. *NO ONE*. People will riot the streets if it even gets considered. *NOBODY* will go for it. (well, except for these dumb Senators, obviously...)
Deep Thought wrote:

You must not pay attention to politics.

Ashbad wrote:

I am 100% positive this will never pass; ... *no one* will stand for this. *NO ONE*. People will riot the streets if it even gets considered. *NOBODY* will go for it. (well, except for these dumb Senators, obviously...)

But think of the children.
*poof*
But wouldn't something like that be unconstitutional?
Meh, okay, *some* people will go for it, perhaps; but the majority of America will not; unless of course, we're embracing Marxism all of a sudden.

Lucas W wrote:

That's exactly why it's so hilariously certain to be dead on first consideration.
All they would have to do is pass it in some form of treaty and BAM, constitution by-passed. :/ (Or maybe that was just by-passing house and senate votes? I have a bad headache and don't remember)

Those democrats reeeeeaally don't want to be in power come 2012, do they? Then again, there are plenty of people that will try to say this is a good thing and support it.. :/
tifreak8x wrote:
All they would have to do is pass it in some form of treaty and BAM, constitution by-passed. :/ (Or maybe that was just by-passing house and senate votes? I have a bad headache and don't remember)

Those democrats reeeeeaally don't want to be in power come 2012, do they? Then again, there are plenty of people that will try to say this is a good thing and support it.. :/

Well, I don't think they really represent all of "Democrats", more of just an extremist Liberal group of radicals.
Riiiiight... Seems legit.
Ashbad wrote:
Meh, okay, *some* people will go for it, perhaps; but the majority of America will not; unless of course, we're embracing Marxism all of a sudden.

Lucas W wrote:

That's exactly why it's so hilariously certain to be dead on first consideration.

You're under the mistaken impression that the Constitution gets anything more than lip-service in dictating national policy.

For starters:

• We already have "Free Speech Zones" to limit where people can exercise their right to speak freely.
  • Candidates, like Ron Paul, who are in favor of obeying the Constitution are "fringe"
  • If you hear someone making "excessive" references to the Constitution, the FBI encourages you to contact the Joint Terrorism Task Force.

But somehow "equal protection under the law" (14th Amendment) still applies - at least so far as it can be used to justify corporate rights.
Ashbad wrote:

That's not really even marxism so much as totalitarianism.

Let them try to "take away" free speech as a right. It's not like we have it at present anyway. Unless one can reveal secrets of national intelligence without fear of governmental retribution, one doesn't have truly free speech.
At least you have a Bill of Rights.
Ashbad wrote:
... how so? In most cases people with Right-Winged political standings are pro-less government, more free speech

*cough, Patriot Act, cough*

Both the left and right aren't big fans of the constitution these days.

In this case, however, it is more that politicians *hate* that they have zero control over the internet, which is what this bill is really about.
I *hate* that politicians are thinking more and more that the constitution is little more than a good alternative when they run out of toilet paper. The constitution and its amendments are set in stone, dammit, until you amend it again. None of this bull is acceptable.
Well, America *does* have control over the Internet, ICANN and IANA are in America.
Not to mention that we just signed ACTA which I'm sure will be used as an excuse to strength the wording of the DMCA.
Well, at least your government didn't try and put up the equivalent of China's Great Firewall. Well, at least not yet.
<deleted, double post due to Kerm's db crashing>
Lucas W wrote:
Well, America *does* have control over the Internet, ICANN and IANA are in America.

Well first, a non profit being located in America doesn't mean the government has any influence. But more importantly the second point is that neither of those control the internet, they just control who gets a DNS name.

And they only have that power because they are allowed to. You could quite easily just use a different DNS with its own name registration. Heck, I don't even use the DNS server my ISP runs.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours