The hardware model is of little consequence. The OS provides the experience. If it pleases you, I use an HTC Surround.
I don't recommend any particular model, it really just boils down to whether or not you want a hardware keyboard. Mine has a slide out speaker in lieu of a keyboard.
I do recommend the OS for several reasons. Most smart phones are very similar, and all the important apps tend to be cross platform. What I like about wp7 is the smoothness. Having used iOS and Android, their touch screen interactions seem very clunky. The Windows Phone 7 interface is outrageously smooth. It just feels nicer to use, as if you were interacting with the surface of water.
It also has nice (although your mileage may vary) word completion and correction to make typing on a phone easier. I also like how it handles music; tap the hardware volume control for quick access.
Also nice is the ability to take pictures very quickly. While locked, you can hold down the hardware photo button for about 2 seconds to open the camera app for a quick shot.
My only complaint is the official YouTube app, which sucks. If you get an HTC wp7, you can install a vendor-specific YouTube app that is significantly better.
Hopefully that is more informative than my last post.
SirCmpwn wrote:
The hardware model is of little consequence. The OS provides the experience. If it pleases you, I use an HTC Surround.
BAHAHAHAHAHA, Microsoft may have tightened the hardware requirements so much that they are all oh so similar, but the device still matters. But yes WP7 phones are all pretty similar, the main choice is hardware keyboard or not, and what they share, is a much weaker and more limited hardware platform than either the iOS Devices and most higher end Android phones.

That still doesn't change the fact that I don't see Svenne getting a WP7 phone, at least not until Nokia's offerings are available and even then it doesn't seem likely.
SirCmpwn wrote:

How's that kool-aid taste?
Actually, the hardware isn't that bad, notably the inclusion of a DirectX9 capable GPU, plus all the normal bells and whistles like GPS, accelerometer, compass, etc. 5 megapixels is also pretty good for the camera.
Wikipedia

allynfolksjr wrote:

How's that kool-aid taste?

Pretty good, actually. It was free, I should mention, but I still enjoy using it and developing for it.
Yeah, DX9, you know there is a reason that MS did a total rewrite for DX10.x/11 its because DX9 was pretty dated.

A 5MP camera means nothing, it doesn't say if it has good lenses or a decent sensor, I can give you 5 million pixels of garbage, that doesn't make it a good camera.

MS also limited it to basically one series of processor, one that is already getting outdated by new designs and greatly limits the price points manufacturers can have.

Its still far behind Android and iOS feature wise, both for developers and end users. And while the number of apps in the Marketplace is growing it will be impossible for many of the Killer apps to be ported due to some rather crazy design choices in their API. Its like they looked at all the short comings of early iOS devel and decided to make all the same mistakes. Prove me wrong and find me a ssh client that can keep the connection open in the background while I click a link from it or go watch a youtube video.
They did make several mistakes with programming, I agree, but it gets better with each update. It wouldn't actually surprise me if the scenario you just talked about would be possible with the latest "Mango" update.
SirCmpwn wrote:
They did make several mistakes with programming, I agree, but it gets better with each update. It wouldn't actually surprise me if the scenario you just talked about would be possible with the latest "Mango" update.
Its not. And since Svenne was looking at Linux based phones in the initial post I'd guess that is a killer feature he'd need. ConnectBot++
What makes you think it isn't possible? I'm telling you, as a developer for the platform, it could be done.
And yet nobody has made a decent SSH client for it? That right there is pretty telling of the adoption/audience of the platform.
When was the first iOS SSH client introduced?
SirCmpwn wrote:
What makes you think it isn't possible? I'm telling you, as a developer for the platform, it could be done.
Every mango review I've read since its release. Most reviewers wondered how even something like Microsofts now own'd skype would work with such a limited setup. Either way enough hijacking this thread, clearly WP7 is not the best option for Svenne.

And iOS doesn't matter the point is it has one now and if MS has any chance of beating Android and iOS they have to have all the same features and capabilities and then some. But sadly they don't and early adopters are still paying for it. When there is something even close to connectbot's quality on there then we'll talk.

WP7 has potential but it sure ain't ready yet and it def isn't right for the OP of this thread.
TheStorm wrote:
SirCmpwn wrote:
Every mango review I've read since its release. Most reviewers wondered how even something like Microsofts now own'd skype would work with such a limited setup. Either way enough hijacking this thread, clearly WP7 is not the best option for Svenne.

And iOS doesn't matter the point is it has one now and if MS has any chance of beating Android and iOS they have to have all the same features and capabilities and then some. But sadly they don't and early adopters are still paying for it. When there is something even close to connectbot's quality on there then we'll talk.

WP7 has potential but it sure ain't ready yet and it def isn't right for the OP of this thread.

I agree that we shouldn't hijack the thread any longer with pointless arguments, but it isn't up to you to blanketly say that it isn't appropriate for Svenne. Let him decide, I'm just expanding his options.
SirCmpwn wrote:

I agree that we shouldn't hijack the thread any longer with pointless arguments, but it isn't up to you to blanketly say that it isn't appropriate for Svenne. Let him decide, I'm just expanding his options.

I think it's about time for Kerm to put an end to your paid shilling for Microsoft: this has gone far enough.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Svenne wrote:
Really? From the reviews I've watched it's recieved pretty good critique.

Reviews from 2 years ago...
I've seen one from this year. Besides, there are already unofficial ports of Meego 1.2 available. I'm not sure how stable they are, though.
Kllrnohj wrote:

Quote:
I prefer not having to stare at the keyboard while typing.

Sounds like you've never really used a soft keyboard. You certainly don't need to stare at it, no more than you do for the teeny tiny keyboards that are on slider phones.
You can't feel the keys on a software keyboard displayed on a touch screen.

Anyway, the main reason I want a Maemo based phone is the customizeability and the compatibility with desktop applications. Maemo is quite similar to a standard desktop distro, at least when compared to Android.

However, the more I think about it, the more I feel that it might be unneccesary. I should probably join the crowd and get an android phone (unless I can find an N900 for really cheap, that is).
Svenne wrote:
I've seen one from this year. Besides, there are already unofficial ports of Meego 1.2 available. I'm not sure how stable they are, though.

Meego? Oh, right, that thing Nokia gave up on but that the community is unwilling to let go of.

Quote:
You can't feel the keys on a software keyboard displayed on a touch screen.

You can't really touch type on a slider keyboard, either. Besides, soft keyboards give you options like swype, which hardware keyboards can't.

Quote:
Anyway, the main reason I want a Maemo based phone is the customizeability and the compatibility with desktop applications. Maemo is quite similar to a standard desktop distro, at least when compared to Android.

However, the more I think about it, the more I feel that it might be unneccesary. I should probably join the crowd and get an android phone (unless I can find an N900 for really cheap, that is).

What desktop apps work well at the size of a phone and with touch instead of a high precision mouse? None of them, that's how many.

Besides, if you really want you can do things like VNC from Android into your desktop.

Oh, and of course the holiday season is coming up - which usually means new phones. Not sure if you want to wait or not to see what's coming out.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours