After three years of usage, my Sony Ericsson w660i is in need of a replacer. The buttons are starting to get inresponsive, and my dad also needs a replacement phone.

My main choice would be the Nokia N900, but the problem is that it's a bit old by now. Do you think this will cause any issues, or would I be fine?[/list]
Do you have a preference towards any particular Mobile OS?
What carrier are you on? Heck, what country are you in? And what's your budget?

The N900 is coming up on 2 years old now - it's very out of date.
Lucas W wrote:
Do you have a preference towards any particular Mobile OS?
The main reason I want the N900 is the operating system. Otherwise I suppose Android would do fine.
Kllrnohj wrote:
What carrier are you on? Heck, what country are you in? And what's your budget?

The N900 is coming up on 2 years old now - it's very out of date.
I live in Sweden and I use Telia Sonera. I've also been considering the Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro, due to it's keyboard. I've found these for around 2 800 SEK (with VAT), which is about $400. I could probably go a little higher than that.

Also, to the N900's defense, the hardware isn't that. It's on par with cheaper smartphones, except it has a keyboard and probably better build quality.
I'll be getting a new phone soon - the Kin TwoM. Friend has the Kin OneM, and he really likes it. (I would recommend the Kin TwoM to you, or to anyone.)
How about the N9 if you like Maemo (though it runs MeeGo on top)? The lack of a physical keyboard might be a deal-breaker, though.
Maybe this will help:

It may be a fundamentally empty experience, but holy crap the Droid's 265 ppi screen is amazing.
Svenne wrote:
The main reason I want the N900 is the operating system.

Why? It sucks...

Quote:
I live in Sweden and I use Telia Sonera. I've also been considering the Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro, due to it's keyboard. I've found these for around 2 800 SEK (with VAT), which is about $400. I could probably go a little higher than that.

Can you get a Galaxy SII? That's pretty much the best smartphone currently available.
I've heard great things about the Samsung Galaxy SII and the HTC Sensation Beats XE, though neither of those have hardware keyboards.
TheStorm wrote:
I've heard great things about the Samsung Galaxy SII and the HTC Sensation Beats XE, though neither of those have hardware keyboards.

Really not an issue. Hardware keyboards just increase thickness, and with things like Swype and soft keyboards getting better and better there really isn't much use for one.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Svenne wrote:
The main reason I want the N900 is the operating system.

Why? It sucks...
Really? From the reviews I've watched it's recieved pretty good critique.

Kllrnohj wrote:
TheStorm wrote:

Really not an issue. Hardware keyboards just increase thickness, and with things like Swype and soft keyboards getting better and better there really isn't much use for one.
I prefer not having to stare at the keyboard while typing.
iPhone.
allynfolksjr wrote:
iPhone.
I'm looking for a phone that's better than my current one, but thanks anyway.
Droid 2's are nice phones. May be older, but they are very reliable and easy to use.
I'll just plug the phone no one else will: Windows Phone 7.
Svenne wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
iPhone.
I'm looking for a phone that's better than my current one, but thanks anyway.

I'm sorry you don't recognize quality when it hits you in your misinformed face.
yeah, nothing like dropped calls.
iPhones really are not as bad as everyone says they are. Dropped calls are going to be a problem on every phone, so you can't really use that as a reason not to buy an iPhone. Android phones aren't bad either, you should choose whatever you feel comfortable with.
Svenne wrote:
Really? From the reviews I've watched it's recieved pretty good critique.

Reviews from 2 years ago...

Quote:
I prefer not having to stare at the keyboard while typing.

Sounds like you've never really used a soft keyboard. You certainly don't need to stare at it, no more than you do for the teeny tiny keyboards that are on slider phones.
SirCmpwn wrote:
I'll just plug the phone no one else will: Windows Phone 7.
Except that isn't a phone, that is a Phone operating system. Now if you had said the HTC 7 Pro, or the HTC HD7 both of which are pretty decent hardware wise that would be one thing, but at least try and make sane suggestions instead of being an idiot. For someone who claims to be a WP7 developer on their website you'd think they could at least recommend a real WP7 and answer the original poster question.

That said judging by the fact that he was looking at the n900 and other Linux based Handset OS's I'm pretty sure Svenne wouldn't like a WP7 based device.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours