Ok, I just finished my home work. Let me explain now. I took out the hardrive of my dad's computer and put it inside a my little brother's computer. The reason I did this is because I sent my brother's computer to my uncle to fix almost three years ago. His job is to fix computers. The reason why I sent my brother's computer to him almost three years ago is because it was missing the internet adapter driver after I put Windows XP on it because prior to that Vista screwed up.

He told my brother he would fix it by putting the necessary diver. Now here we are almost 3 years later he gave the computer back and said "I was to busy to fix the computer sorry." "I did however have to take the 320 GB hardrive out because it was faulty." "I replaced it with a 36 GB hardrive to fix it." (<-what my uncle said) Faulty my a*s. When I sent him the computer I can assure everyone that the hardrive was fine. The computer was just missing a driver. So, I hook the computer up, and find a disc inside the drive. I open it and find a reinstallation of Windows XP. On the disc it stated "Recovery disc installation of your Windows XP Home Edition only to be used on your Dell Insipron." So the fact that I see that just pissed me off.

Now, the same problem the internet adapter driver is still missing. So, the computer was just there for almost three years for no reason. At this point I was pretty much pissed. So, in my rage I open up my dad's computer switch out the hardrives giving my brother's computer my dad's hardrive which by coincidence was 320 GB. I swap them out putting the 36 GB in my dad's computer and the 320 GB in my brother's computer. My brother's computer booted up fine after installing the hardrive. As for my dad's hardrive it did not boot correctly as shown in the video. I then reverted the changes I made by putting then hardrives back and still my dad's computer did not boot correctly.

I switched them back a third time and my brother's computer still was fine. My dad's computer still did not boot correctly. So I reformatted my brother's hardrive (the 320 GB) from my dad's put windows 7 on it and the driver problem was fixed. If only I did that three years ago. Although, Windows 7 was not available three years ago vista would have fixed the problem as well. Also, this all could have been avoided if my stupid uncle didn't remove the working hardrive. Honsetly, I think he made up a sh*t lie about the hardrive becoming faulty and just took it because he needed it for his work. Sorry everyone I usually don't get pissed like this, but things like this really trigger my temper.

Thank you everyone please reply back and tell me what you think is wrong with my dad's computer. Sorry that this was long but I just explained in depth like you all asked me to. Thank you.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONccY_CryjI

Sorry for telling "stories" but I want to be specific as possible. I know its long sorry again. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like something my uncle would say and do. My uncle "fixes" computers too (i put quotes around fixes because the computers he fixes don't really work right, like mine for example.) I'm no expert, but i think the 36 GB hardrive is faulty, not the 320 GB hardrive.
I agree. plus with a few games and programs that 36 fills up fast... I personally do fix computers and the driver is an easy fix. best case you try to find it online it takes 20 min. Worst case you resinatall the OS and redo all the online updates. Takes like 3 days depending on your OS and INternet speed. Most of it is sit and wait.
I suggest reformatting your post and providing a clearer summary of the problem as between the wall-o'-text and trying to glean information from a YouTube video I'm not entirely sure what the issue is.

You cannot usually move a hard disk drive from one machine to another as the drivers will be wrong (and this is not just the hard disk drive drivers but the more important chipset drivers for the motherboard). Reinstalling Windows is usually the best bet, though this doesn't seem to be the issue in this case.

Does the machine POST if you remove the suspect hard disk drive? The only thing I can really spot in the video is that not all of the power connectors are plugged into your motherboard, though I'd suggest removing as much hardware as possible from the machine (apart from RAM), seeing if you can get that to POST, then introducing hardware one piece at a time until it stops working again.
I'm with BenRyves; I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what your problem is from the wall of text. It sounds like the main problem is that after a hard drive was moved out and back into a machine, that machine no longer boots. I recommend checking all cables and connectors as Benryves says. And does it not POST? Or not boot? That's an important distinction.
It no longer boots after I took the original hardrive out. Then I put the original hardrive back in, and it still doesn't boot. That's what the issue is. Why does it not boot?
Does it POST?
From the video, it appears to be showing some sort of menu.
I'm sorry i don't know what post means? Also, the menu in the monitor was me just turning it on.
Justin979271 wrote:
I'm sorry i don't know what post means? Also, the menu in the monitor was me just turning it on.

POST means the Power-On Self Test. Basically, your computer should beep once after it goes through POST, and that means everything's ok.
hmm, if I remember correctly, when I was at his house, no beep. I could be wrong, however
I can't make out much from the wall of text, either. I would advise using a bootable Linux disk to back up important files, then wipe the drives and install windows fresh. Like others have said, you can't just swap the drives and expect it to work.
Also, don't use a recovery disk. Use a different disk, buy new Windows, or use other sources with knowledge of the legal gray area involved.
SirCmpwn I don't want to be mean but you either didn't read my post fully or you simply didn't understand. The recovery disc was on my brother's computer I found my uncle did an illegal thing. But that is not relevant to the computer issue.
Also, it does not make a beeping noise that you were talking about on startup.
Please do not double post.
My advice still stands. I skimmed most of your post, so understandably I misunderstood the reference to recovery discs.
Sorry my mistake and thats ok that you skimmed though. I was just making sure.
Not all motherboards can or do beep after POSTing; the best test of a successful POST is that something appears on your monitor. If that something talks about no boot disk / boot disk failure (usually shouts BOOT DISK FAILURE at you), then it posted and didn't boot. If you get no video, or no fans, or no beeps, then it's neither booting nor POSTing. The POST process is governed by the BIOS, while the booting process is under the control of your operating system, in this case Windows.
If it POSTs, as in, the white letters appear and tell you stuff, then it's an issue with your harddrive, likely the controller card. Of course you could also have the jumper pins in the back misaligned(if it's an IDE) which would cause the same problem(I've had this before too). If it's an IDE drive, post a screenshot of what the back of your harddrive, the part that connects to the computer, looks like, as well as a screenshot of the jumper pin diagram.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours