ztrumpet wrote:
Yup. I play trumpet, and am in a pretty great band program.

Yeah!! Represent for MCBA!! I marched ford field for the last time ever about a week ago Crying I was in a flight one band, though. We finished 9th with a 79.97 (SO CLOSE TO 80!!!).
Parody toy?! Really? I hope you're just joking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkjsy8eqb9I

In all seriousness, I want the saxophone to be accepted as a legitimate classical instrument. There is no reason for it not to be!
Hm, I never posted in this thread. Let's fix that.

I don't play any instruments currently (since leaving high school), but in roughly chronological order of starting:
  • Piano (5? yrs)
  • Alto Sax (1.5 yrs)
  • Bassoon (7 yrs)
  • Sousaphone/tuba (4 yrs)
  • Baritone (when demanded by instrumentation or no bassoon part available)
  • Various percussion (when demanded by instrumentation)

Bassoon is/was my primary instrument. Good times. Pity I wasn't able to continue playing, but it's not very feasible when the instrument costs several thousand dollars on the low end (I had been borrowing one owned by the school).
That's awesome!! Kudos on learning so many instruments and in being in an ensemble that seems so fantastic.
It's pretty sad that most bassoon and tuba players stop playing their instruments after high school... but what can you do?
Did you ever compete as a soloist, or did you just play in ensembles?
Not a parody toy. My mistake, I forgot about virtuosity in all musical areas.
Rascherite wrote:
Did you ever compete as a soloist, or did you just play in ensembles?

A number of different things. I linked the main ensemble (outside of school, anyway) that I was part of, but through my career I was involved in three different ensembles under the auspices of MYSO, as well as three different chamber ensembles (all of them woodwind quintets). The WSMA sponsors a yearly 'festival' which I performed one solo piece for each year I was playing. You might say the culmination of my solo work was performing a solo piece at a school concert.

If I can remember, I'll try to dig out some recordings next time I go home (in a few weeks) and attack the internet with them.
Dapianokid wrote:
Not a parody toy. My mistake, I forgot about virtuosity in all musical areas.

Thanks. I might end up devoting the rest of my life to playing classical saxophone, so I feel kinda uncomfortable when people make fun of it like that...

Tari: Wow!! That's really impressive!! Over the course of my high school career, I've done two saxophone quartets (straight ones at state solo and ensemble XD) and a woodwind quartet with saxophone soloist.
I really love hearing about people who participated a lot in music in high school. It's no surprise there are so many of them here: you know what they say, mathematical (computer) intelligence goes hand in hand with musical ability .
My college roommate taught me to play guitar. I played a few times on stage with my improv troupe for some music games, but generally I just play it to relax on evenings with some acoustic covers of popular rap songs. I play a pretty mean 'Ice Ice Baby.'

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours