I figured this would be appropriate enough for Cemetech, and it sums up my feelings about incredibly niche music quite well:

Haha.

Related to Dubstep, I can't stand the music but show me a music video for a dub step track and I could listen to it all day, as long as the video was in front of me.
I hate most dubstep, with the exception of Total Fascination by Pretty Lights.
I find the "dancing" goes well with the song for the most part, but I can't stand listening to dubstep by itself.
Where I live, it has gotten increasingly popular to the point that it's annoying. The same goes for Deadmau5, sadly :/
The disgusting prevalence of dubstep has destroyed my ability to find quality techno.
It's not so much the niche music that I don't like, as it is the people who listen to it and think they're cooler than me because they listen to niche music.

It could be argued that I watch niche "adult videos", but I'm certainly not going to brag about it or pretend I'm cooler because of it.
Deadmau5 is house.
Dubstep is niche? I thought niche meant something with a limited market, not something that everyone and their mother is banging on about, or using to advertise breakfast cereal.
It seems that it's just a musical meme. Not actually any good, but everyone is grabbing on to it because it's on the internet and other people on the internet will get it. It's like rage comics, but in music form.
elfprince13 wrote:
The disgusting prevalence of dubstep has destroyed my ability to find quality techno.

This.
I think of all obscure niche musical genres (including Middle Eastern Combat Rock, World-Techno, Pirate Metal, Soul Metal, etc.) Dubstep is a really bad one (I actually like the ones I listed in parens before). I find it to be rather annoying music and I say burn it with fire.
benryves wrote:
Dubstep is niche? I thought niche meant something with a limited market, not something that everyone and their mother is banging on about, or using to advertise breakfast cereal.

Slightly offtopic (in that it isn't dubstep), but on the note of using overly popular electronic music to advertise things, is anyone else as intensely confused by this commercial as I am?
Both of those are very odd.. Neither of them really make me want to buy their products, either. Actually, it makes me want to not buy them :/
benryves wrote:

that was... an interesting commercial.

elfprince13 wrote:

pwned

merthsoft wrote:
It seems that it's just a musical meme. Not actually any good, but everyone is grabbing on to it because it's on the internet and other people on the internet will get it. It's like rage comics, but in music form.

Not really. Dubstep can be quite catchy, is high energy, and it's easy to listen to as background music while working or surfing the web. Some dubstep is definitely good. Whether or not it is your style is a completely different story, and frankly rather irrelevant.
I personally listen to a lot of dubstep, especially when working. It does sometimes annoy my co-works and my boss,but a a few of them are starting to like certain songs and don't mind it as much. I dont know if you classify this as "dubstep" but here's one of my favorite songs.

You can pretty much ignore the video part, its just the best quality remixes i could find. I have a decent collection of techno and dubstep. Way to many good songs to post them all here. I also like deadmau5, because house is nice to relax to imo.
Yeah, I listen to dubstep at work all of the time.
Kllrnohj wrote:
merthsoft wrote:

Not really. Dubstep can be quite catchy, is high energy, and it's easy to listen to as background music while working or surfing the web. Some dubstep is definitely good. Whether or not it is your style is a completely different story, and frankly rather irrelevant.
And some rage comics are funny. I guess what I should've said is "most isn't actually any good", rather than "not actually any good". Also, I don't think whether I like it is irrelevant at all, since that's basically what we're talking about. If you want to talk about it from a music theoretical approach, let's do it, but I thought this thread was about our (well, it started as DShiznit's) opinion on the music.
merthsoft wrote:
Also, I don't think whether I like it is irrelevant at all, since that's basically what we're talking about. If you want to talk about it from a music theoretical approach, let's do it, but I thought this thread was about our (well, it started as DShiznit's) opinion on the music.

It's irrelevant because you were talking generalities about "everyone on the internet". You != everyone.
foamy3 wrote:
Yeah, I listen to dubstep at work all of the time.

I didn't know someone actually liked it, sorry Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours