elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
if I was fluent in throwing quick image scripts together in Python, for instance,

PIL is really weird. It's pretty powerful too, but weird. GD2 supports other languages than just PHP though, fwiw (including Python and C).
Nifty, I'll have to just learn the GD2 bindings for Python, then. Smile But we're getting off-topic, let's try to steer this back in the direction of Merth's Prizm periodic table.
Of course the Prizm needs one! (Too bad TI already took care of it for the Nspire.) Good luck.
Deep Thought wrote:
Of course the Prizm needs one! (Too bad TI already took care of it for the Nspire.) Good luck.
Is the TI one for the Nspire any good? And on the subject of periodic tables for other devices, there are of course tons of BASIC and ASM implementations for the TI-83 through TI-84+.
You know, I've never tried it. Now I can't find it anywhere (since the TI-BANK links don't work anymore).
Progress! I've got displaying and maneuvering the elements done on the Prizm, here are some (not very exciting) screen shots:

Generating the code went quite well, with lots of help from Ben Ryves. You can download the actual file here, if you want to play with it:
http://merthsoft.calcg.org/Periodic/Periodic.g3a

EDIT: I used the wrong version to take the screenshots, but the right version is uploaded. The different is that it should be showing boiling and melting points.
That looks extremely sexy, and I can't wait until it has something a little colorful in the corner. Smile Kudos to Benryves for helping with code generation.
Looking nice so far Merth.

So are you using the"Cemetech GCC sdk(as Kerm has dubbed it) with this now, and if there is anything I can change to make it better just let me know?
Nice work Merth Smile I like this start very much so. Will likely end up on my calculator soon Very Happy

Perhaps a little color and put units on those measurements?
I didn't dub it that; Omnimaga dubbed it that. Smile Before that I just called it "Jonimus' PrizmSDK 0.2", but they decided it was the Cemetech PrizmSDK by Jonimus with Tari. Wink I adopted that because it seemed a fair characterization.
TheStorm wrote:
Looking nice so far Merth.

So are you using the"Cemetech GCC sdk(as Kerm has dubbed it) with this now, and if there is anything I can change to make it better just let me know?

Thanks! I am indeed using GCC for this. It's working great so far, other than the things I told you about. I'm using Visual Studio to build it, which is working nicely, because I can just ctrl-shift-B and off it goes, no need to switch to another window anymore. All I need to do now is change my project creation tool to make these project directories, and I'll be good to go!
KermMartian wrote:
I didn't dub it that; Omnimaga dubbed it that. Smile Before that I just called it "Jonimus' PrizmSDK 0.2", but they decided it was the Cemetech PrizmSDK by Jonimus with Tari. Wink I adopted that because it seemed a fair characterization.

I just refer to it as "Prizm GCC SDK" -- I found all of the other SDKs made by various long-time C-on-Casio Fans to be very hard to use, very non-standard, and not very easy to set up or even always find the latest and greatest version (however, they usually include rather stellar documentation with the development package). Therefore, I find this one to be the most robust and more deserving to be called "the" SDK to use; I don't even believe the other SDK's even use GCC so having to put another name in front of the 'GCC' part is unneeded.
Just a small update. I was digging around the Insight code, and figured out how to keep the status bar up there. I hate how it disappears on me. Here's a screenshot:

I think that makes it look better, though I don't know if I'll keep it around once I move to the graphical version. Next is making it so the user can input an element number, and go straight there.
Ashbad: Indeed, I think PrizmSDK is sufficient.
Merthsoft: You'll have to share how you made the status bar remain; I think quite a few educational sort of programs would look better with that there. Woo input time.
Quick little update while I'm doing stuff. I'm working on generating the table, here's what I've got so far:

The icons need to be shorter so I can fit the rest of the elements in there, and can maybe be a little wider. I also need a better font, but it's a start Smile.

Edit:
I've tried a couple more things:

Still looks a little weird. Oh well.
Maybe try just having the outline of each of the elements and then showing some basic info of the currently selected on at the bottom or side of the screen?
I don't understand what you mean.
Rather than put all the info (symbols, atomic number, etc) in the boxes, just have the boxes and when you highlight them, put all the information at the bottom of the screen.
I'm not sure what the etc. is, since there's only the symbols and number, but people will want to see how it's actually laid out. What's the point in just having empty boxes?
What do you have against antialiased text, shaun? Sad Are you trying to stick with a low-color-width image? I like the middle of the three the best so far.
True, maybe you could have a button to switch from showing the symbols in the boxes to showing the atomic number. That way you wouldn't have issues with the text being too small. Out of curiosity, have you seen it on-calculator yet?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours