Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
Yikes. That is terrible. Is it Ps2 or USB? Did it break off inside the tower? if so that is going to be a pain to get out without ruining the port. If it is I would recommend Extremely small flat head screw drivers for like eye glasses but sturdier. Just lightly try to scoot it out.
Ps2 and thankfully no it didn't break off in the tower. just the replacement of the keyboard is all that is needed
thats good. Although good luck finding a ps2 keyboard these days. They are almost extinct. I have 2 from working on computers and I keep them for the people who dont have much in the way of usb ports. And really old computers.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
thats good. Although good luck finding a ps2 keyboard these days. They are almost extinct.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=ps%2F2+keyboard&x=0&y=0
Not that hard, actually. There are also adapters:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Replacement-USB-Keyboard-Adapter/dp/B000A0K2JO/ref=sr_1_23?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316722625&sr=1-23
Oh ya. I forgot about the adapters. lol. I have like 3 that if forgot about.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
Oh ya. I forgot about the adapters. 0x5. I have like 3 that if forgot about.
lol
KermMartian wrote:
Actually, I'd expect any halfway non-derp motherboard to immediately shut off when it detected a sustained thermal alarm, and that indeed has been my experience with a lot of hardware. A freeze seems useless in a thermal emergency. Razz

Usually the CPU is the one doing the thermal monitoring, not the motherboard, and it downclocks itself in response to high heat. As the age of the machine was not given, it's entirely possible he has a CPU that doesn't do thermal shutdown at all. It's also entirely possible that the thermal ceiling is higher than the crash point of the CPU. As in, it is set to shut off at 90C, but when it got up to 80C it just crashed.

benryves wrote:
If the case had ventilation in the side then yes, that would definitely be the culprit, but I thought adamac15 would have spotted that. Blocking vents is never a wise move with electronics.

Neither is shoving them inside closed spaces, but people do that all the time Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours