I have a question about my computer. I have a desktop at home, but it won't stay on long. It'll run a few minutes, then freeze. Then i have to restart the computer, but it does it again. Should I downgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate, or is it the tower that is at fault?
It'll freeze? What programs do you have on there? Try uninstalling the programs that take up the most resources on your computer and see if it happens again. If it's still happening, run your computer off of a Linux Live CD or USB to see if it's a hardware problem instead of a problem with Windows, as if it's a hardware problem Linux should freeze as well.
I'd like some more specs on the tower, like how much RAM it has, proc speed, etc.

What programs does it have running in the back ground?

Have you checked for viruses?
The thing is, i can't check any of that. It'll freeze before i can look at it, but ill try to see if i can get to it before it freezes. The window of time to look at it is very small (like 5 min window)
You should boot into safe mode and check everything from there.
Also if you lost your main fan it might be overheating which causes it to freeze up. It happened to me a couple months ago. Its a pretty easy fix if you know what your doing
Turns out the only thing wrong with it was the tower was laying down (because of this (so far) it froze). I stood the tower up and it works fine now, although i have to restore it (all my files became corrupt). I'll have to find the windows 7 cd later today.
It might be a ventilation issue in that case but my money would be on an improperly seated component. Make sure that all of your expansion cards are firmly and correctly inserted (it may be worth removing and reinserting them to make sure).
If you want to lay it down I would recommend getting a case that is designed to do that. Otherwise components could easily become un seated and the ventilation gets all messed up. which can cause more problems that just freezing. (as you leaned)
Yea. I just hate that I have to put everything back on my computer as a result of laying it down. But stuff like that happens sometimes. Wink
adamac15 wrote:
Turns out the only thing wrong with it was the tower was laying down (because of this (so far) it froze). I stood the tower up and it works fine now, although i have to restore it (all my files became corrupt). I'll have to find the windows 7 cd later today.
The orientation shouldn't make a difference unless you have some components that are not properly secured. Do you have any riser cards on your motherboard that aren't screwed onto the case?
KermMartian wrote:
adamac15 wrote:
The orientation shouldn't make a difference unless you have some components that are not properly secured. Do you have any riser cards on your motherboard that aren't screwed onto the case?

Or he laid it onto one of the vents. There are some OEM cases that duct the air for the CPU from the side panel. If he covered that, his CPU would overheat in a hurry.

If something isn't seated right, it wouldn't freeze, it would not boot. Freezing after 5 minutes almost certainly points to a heat issue.
Actually, I'd expect any halfway non-derp motherboard to immediately shut off when it detected a sustained thermal alarm, and that indeed has been my experience with a lot of hardware. A freeze seems useless in a thermal emergency. Razz
Tbh, I never knew any of that. Now i know not to lay the tower on its side anymore.
Kllrnohj wrote:
If something isn't seated right, it wouldn't freeze, it would not boot. Freezing after 5 minutes almost certainly points to a heat issue.

Devices that are only slightly out of alignment can produce some temperamental bugs. My serial/parallel port card would occasionally cause Windows to lock up when using avrdude (though not always, and only ever with avrdude) which turned out to be due to it being unseated (hurrah for screwless cases and stiff external connectors).

If the case had ventilation in the side then yes, that would definitely be the culprit, but I thought adamac15 would have spotted that. Blocking vents is never a wise move with electronics.
benryves wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:

Devices that are only slightly out of alignment can produce some temperamental bugs. My serial/parallel port card would occasionally cause Windows to lock up when using avrdude (though not always, and only ever with avrdude) which turned out to be due to it being unseated (hurrah for screwless cases and stiff external connectors).

If the case had ventilation in the side then yes, that would definitely be the culprit, but I thought adamac15 would have spotted that. Blocking vents is never a wise move with electronics.
The thing is, I didn't know what side the vent was on, and I only put it sideways because that was the only way it would fit on my dresser at the time.
So was there indeed a vent on that side, adamac? And did you check that any and all daughtercards and such are properly secured?
I think so. And I haven't checked anything on it (because now I need a new keyboard)
Man that has got to suck.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
Man that has got to suck.
it does. The piece that you plug in to the tower broke off.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours