Excellent, can you tell us more about all of that? Also, we need to show Ryan/Phero how to read Cemetech topics efficiently; he didn't know this thread was here. Smile
Currently the friction routine ignores the force pushing the objects together, and only takes place when the objects actually collide. Graphically, they can be touching without colliding, and even when one object is resting on another, it may only be colliding with it every couple frames, which can result in some strange friction effects. As a result, the friction module of Zedd is going to be reworked separated from the collision, so that if the objects are touching graphically, accurate friction will be applied. I think this will drastically help certain game scenarios where player objects are jumping up and down on other objects.

One of the other major additions that I am working on is a new function that allows objects to apply forces to other objects. As a clarification, if Object 1 was resting on object 2, and you apply a force to object 1, friction would drag object 2 along with it. However, if Object 1 is supposed to be a player in a game, this is not the correct response, because things like people move themselves by pushing on other objects. So I need to add a way for objects to push themselves off of other objects, rather than apply global forces on them.

The third major feature I am going to be implementing is the modular engine construction. This allows you to choose different quality modules for each of the Zedd functions. What I mean by that is that you will be able to specify how accurate vs. fast the friction will be, simply by sending the corresponding module to your calculator. If you need a game with really accurate collisions, but less emphasis on friction, you would send the collision module that is highly advanced (but slower), and then the friction module that is simpler (but faster). This not only allows you to customize your version of the Zedd engine, but also allows you to maximize speed wherever possible.

It's going to be interesting, but I think the way players in games are handled in the end is going to be worth it Smile.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours