Today I got my Casio Prizm, $79 off of eBay with Priority shipping. I was going to get a CX, but I realized it had no programming functions, and cost twice as much as this one. It's a pretty cool calculator, and I'm still setting it up.

However, I'm putting on fx-9860g programs onto it, and although they do seem to work, for some reason, the memory always gets full. I still have like 9 MBs left, so is their another place I can store the programs? Am I correct in thinking the Prizm only has 61KBs of main memory?
Yes, the main memory that you can use is only 61 KB. You can store up to 16 MB of programs in the storage memory, but you can't execute them until you copy them to the main memory.
So how would I get around this? Would I have to like store them, and copy them over when I wanted to use it? Seems a bit tedious.
On the TI-83+/84+ series, we do the copy/move trick with what's called a shell, such as Doors CS 7 (not sure if you're familiar with it or the 83+/84+ series). The shell takes care of copying from storage memory (ROM) to RAM, executing the program, then deleting the temporary copy. Unfortunately no one has had the time to finish a shell for the Prizm yet, so unless you do it or until someone else does, manual copying is necessary. Have you considered exploring C programming for the Prizm.

By the way, welcome to Cemetech! Please Introduce Yourself when you have a chance.
So that's what Mirage OS did. Hopefully one comes out for the Prizm soon.
Twins wrote:
So that's what Mirage OS did. Hopefully one comes out for the Prizm soon.
You're better off with Doors CS, not to toot my own horn too much. Wink I've been meaning to make a Doors PX or PZ or something, but unfortunately I have far too many projects and work and life to deal with. Sad
I meant a shell. But no worries, I can just move stuff around.
z80man is working on a shell. However, the prizm can execute/read from Flash as if it were a very slow version of RAM. If there are any Flash problems, it's probably something that Casio explicitly programmed into the interpreter.
Qwerty.55 wrote:
z80man is working on a shell. However, the prizm can execute/read from Flash as if it were a very slow version of RAM. If there are any Flash problems, it's probably something that Casio explicitly programmed into the interpreter.
Oh, is he still working on Walnut? I thought he had dropped the project, since I haven't seen an update about it here nor him mentioning it in any of his posts in months. If it is indeed still in progress, I would be happy to hear that.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours