I didn't get all that much done today except test out a selector system that works correctly with my display system, but I did get brainstorming for magic spells done.

There are 7 different elements of magic, with 7 tiers(There are 3 hidden tiers that go higher than 7 up to 10, however). All tiers except for tier 7 and tier 10 have 5 different magic spells leaving two elements without a spell at a given level.

At tier Beginner, you have: Rain(Water), Frost(Ice), Spark(Fire), Shock(Lightning), and Heal Lv1(Healing)
At tier BASIC(Haha), you have: Wave(Water), Hail(Ice), Static(Lightning), Gust(Wind), and Heal Lv2(Healing).
At tier Intermediate, you have: Sinkhole(Earth), Blizzard(Ice), Dust Devil(Wind), Mana Shield(Other), and Heal Lv3(Healing).
At tier Advanced, you have: Tremor(Earth), Erupt(Fire), Lightning(Lightning), Meteorite(Other), and Heal Lv4(Healing).
At tier Elite, you have: Quake(Earth), Inferno(Fire), Lightning Rod(Lightning), Meteor(Other), and Heal Lv5(Healing).
Tier 6, AKA tier Master is where it starts to get fun: Maelstrom(Water), Earthquake(Earth), Flames of Hell(Fire), Meteor Shower(Other), and Heal Lv6(Healing).
Tier 7, AKA tier Sage is the only tier with one spell for every element. It's also the last tier that can be learned normally. Anyways: Hurricane(Water), Megaquake(Earth), Absolute Zero(Ice), Magma Plume(Fire), Supercell(Lightning), Meteor Storm(Haha, Storm is an upgrade from shower 8D Other), and Heal Lv7(healing).
At tier Lost Arts Lv8, we have: Earthshake(Play on words, it shakes the whole world? Earth), Nova(Fire), Megacell(Lightning), Mana Shield Lv2(Other), and Heal Lv8(Healing).
At tier Lost Arts Lv9, we have: Biblical Flood(Water), Earthbreak(Another play on words ;; Earth), Supernova(Fire), Mana Shield Lv3(Other), and Heal Lv9(Healing).
At tier Lost Arts Lv10, we have: Implode(Earth), Meganova(Fire), Planetary Collision(Other), Heal Lv10(Healing), and Ultimate Storm(Water AND Ice AND Lightning AND Wind).
Seems like you have this well planned out Smile

Wouldn't Spark be more a lightning attack though? Just curious.
tifreak8x wrote:
Wouldn't Spark be more a lightning attack though? Just curious.
A camp fire sparks off into tiny cinders that burn upwards from the heat. Sparklers spark but it's not any affect from electricity but rather a chemical reaction. Then you have sparks from wires coming into contact. So, in theory, a spark could be from any three of those sources and she decided it'd be fire.

At least, that's my understanding.
That's true. Just in most RPGs you run across, Spark is an electric attack. That's all I'm basing my thought on Smile

If she wants to go with Spark, it's her RPG Wink
tifreak8x wrote:
That's true. Just in most RPGs you run across, Spark is an electric attack. That's all I'm basing my thought on Smile
Oh really? *shows how much I've paid attention to the elemental effects in RPG's*
comicIDIOT wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:
Oh really? *shows how much I've paid attention to the elemental effects in RPG's*

In Mabinogi, there was a powerful skill called Spark in the Korean version and when they brought it over here, they renamed it Shock, which I thought was a good idea o-o
Maybe you can rename Spark to Ember or Burn or something? It would eliminate a bit of confusion that some RPGers might end up with. Smile
tifreak8x wrote:
Maybe you can rename Spark to Ember or Burn or something? It would eliminate a bit of confusion that some RPGers might end up with. Smile

Sparks are hot, they burn you, they don't electrocute you Smiling Cat
That's a good point to go by.

Sarah wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:

In Mabinogi, there was a powerful skill called Spark in the Korean version and when they brought it over here, they renamed it Shock, which I thought was a good idea o-o
Interesting game, I'm not a huge fan of RPG's but I've been known to put hours into "White Knight Chronicles" (the second game is due out soon!) and even a few Final Fantasy games. But I haven't touched either for some time. I'm slightly disappointed I don't play more RPG's but I forget how slow they can get - Cutscenes! I don't like them Sad - when I start playing them again
This looks awesome. Glad to see more Prizm programs and I can't wait to unbury my USB cables to test it.
comicIDIOT wrote:
That's a good point to go by.

Sarah wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:

Interesting game, I'm not a huge fan of RPG's but I've been known to put hours into "White Knight Chronicles" (the second game is due out soon!) and even a few Final Fantasy games. But I haven't touched either for some time. I'm slightly disappointed I don't play more RPG's but I forget how slow they can get - Cutscenes! I don't like them Sad - when I start playing them again

Mabinogi is really fun, there's tons to do. We're getting really cose to G15(Generation 15, generations are large updates, some generations have sub updates that are also pretty large called seasons). I can't wait to do G15's mainstream quests. Smiling Cat

Anyways, in Mabi, you worked the Shock skill by loading it, then casting it on yourself, which causes you to get electrified, and while you're electrified if you go near enemies, electricity comes out of you and starts to stun and damage them, and you can do other things while it's stunning the enemy. If you're electrified and you equip Brionac(The Spear of the Gods), you can unleash its full power by letting it go into Shock Mode Smiling Cat
Well, now that I know the syntaxes for a few string commands, I think I can really get to work on my menus for magic and items. I played with setting strings today and got all my magic spell names down on one string.

I'd really appreciate it if someone would volunteer to go look through my codes and optimize the variables. I'd love to be able to use List/Mat as little as possible, and only for things that really need variables to select variables from a list/mat.
First update to this topic in a while xD

I thoroughly optimized the variables, removed the "Z" from the beginning of all the program names both to save space and make it easier to locate the program I need to edit from the Program directory. I have a partial new system for rendering maps which FURTHER reduces map file size, by an estimate of 1/3. I still need to convert old map files to use the new map renderer.

I accidentally broke the rendering of treasure chests and save points on the map, and I'm looking into fixing that.

I fixed my string lengths by removing things from them, but I have not yet implemented their systems.

I am deciding whether or not to implement changing equip systems or go a simpler route and just have 'tiers' which automatically change upon finding new equips.
What did you change to optimize the maps?
merthsoft wrote:

I changed the maps so that they now all use the same values, and then use a program that translates those values into the correct details.
Sarah wrote:
merthsoft wrote:

I changed the maps so that they now all use the same values, and then use a program that translates those values into the correct details.
How much space do the maps take up now, then?
KermMartian wrote:
Sarah wrote:
merthsoft wrote:

How much space do the maps take up now, then?

They take about 350 bytes each now versus ~650. Map rendering is slower now but I made up for it by inventing a loop that makes rendering blank spaces nearly instant.
You go girl!

I could never have the patience to program this. Anything really. I need instant gratification. And that is why I'll never be a contributing member of this community o.0.
I finally got back on it for a bit.
Readded special characters now that the LOCATE bug is fixed, game looks alot better now.
Fixed a bug which gave a domain error on exiting a battle, which in turn created another bug, which created another when fixed, finally when that was fixed, bugs stopped being made.
Readded treasure chests disappearing once opened.
All maps have been converted to the new system.
Made the created lists smaller to conserve space.
NWGMET(The new game creator that gives you max stats and other settings to make for easy testing when wanted) now has a setting that lets you choose the starting map so you don't have to move through the entire world to test something.

Looking to fix saving(Haven't touched it in a while), and random enemy encounters(The message appears for an attacking enemy, but nothing happens).

I need a new damage formula for melee attacks, I'd really appreciate someone helping me find a fair and balanced damage formula.

I was looking into adding a critical hit system, but I need to decide whether to take the complicated route which entails using a stat to determine the chance, or the easy route which entails using a fixed chance for all.
ooo~ sounds like you were productive Very Happy

Hmm, damage calculations are kind of a pain to do. I used to have it just subtract strength and defense to show how much damage is done to the target, and made sure it caused at least 1 point.

For future ones, I also want to factor HP into it, the less the HP, the weaker the attacks.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours