When you install, be careful about the options. I accidentally wiped a good portion of my HDD installing it.
Qwerty.55 wrote:
When you install, be careful about the options. I accidentally wiped a good portion of my HDD installing it.
Oh no, very sorry to hear it! That's why I prefer to try out new OSes in a virtual machine before I fully understand them. My general experiences are that I'm happy enough with the desktop; I find the new splashscreen thing fairly annoying, especially in that it likes to come up every time I press the Windows key.
Fortunately you can restore the old start menu by editing the registry.

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to close Metro applications. Any bright ideas?
I don't think it's possible. If you just return to the main menu via the corner start button, then they seem to shut down or at least drop off task manager.
They're still there - if you run a game that plays background music it continues playing if you switch away from the application, and (more irritatingly) still show up if you swipe the left edge of the screen to switch tasks.
benryves wrote:
One thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to close Metro applications. Any bright ideas?

Task manager works (ctrl-shift-esc)

To install in VMWare you need version 8, VirtualBox works fine, though.
I haven't figured out how to open Metro applications. I tried clicking all of the games on the Metro screen, for example, and none of them seemed to do anything even close to launching. The Control Panel having nothing even close to a close button, nor responding to Alt-F4, also threw me way off.
KermMartian wrote:
The Control Panel having nothing even close to a close button, nor responding to Alt-F4, also threw me way off.
You can't close Metro applications, apparently, short of killing them through Task Manager. You can switch back to the selection screen by swiping the right hand side of the screen and tapping Start. Similarly, you can switch tasks by swiping the left side (and can also display two tasks at once in a split screen) and swiping the top or bottom will bring up control bars. In the absence of a touch screen I think you hover the mouse at the edge of the screen, but I can't test that for you.
according to this article I saw, Internet Explorer is *required* for internet and other browsers.... is this true? O_o

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392987,00.asp
Windows and numerous other applications use IE to render HTML (and have done for many years), but there's nothing stopping you from installing another web browser if you want a different web browser.
Apple troll here: Microsoft is dropping support for plugins (Flash included) in the default browser for Windows 8. How does this make you feel?
Feels like I'll keep on using Chrome like I've been doing? :p
elfprince13 wrote:
Apple troll here: Microsoft is dropping support for plugins (Flash included) in the default browser for Windows 8. How does this make you feel?
Source?
merthsoft wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Source?

MSDN Blog Wink https://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/14/metro-style-browsing-and-plug-in-free-html5.aspx

It's almost like they are.....copying Apple or something. Not that Microsoft ever does that.
Quote:
In Windows 8, IE 10 is available as a Metro style app and as a desktop app. The desktop app continues to fully support all plug-ins and extensions.
merthsoft wrote:
Quote:
In Windows 8, IE 10 is available as a Metro style app and as a desktop app. The desktop app continues to fully support all plug-ins and extensions.

Note that I said "default".
But isn't the current default IE for Win8 IE9? Or is 10 already in there? I've not had time to load 8 to anything as of yet.
elfprince13 wrote:
merthsoft wrote:
Quote:

Note that I said "default".
Note that you failed to mention the entire story. People are going read "default", assume you just mean IE, and that they'll have to download Firefox or something to have a browser with Flash. However, it comes with one. There are just two versions, so you can pick if you want to use a browser with plug-ins, or if you want a pure HTML5 browser.

Oh no, choices. How Un-Apple like.
elfprince13 wrote:
No one uses Internet Explorer anymore anyway. Totally irrelevant.
elfprince13 wrote:

It's not the "default" browser, it's the Metro browser. This browser is already pretty crippled functionality-wise as it's designed for a touch user interface. Regular IE, as others have pointed out, will continue to support plugins for the forseeable future. In my experience sites that rely on plugins tend not to be very touch-friendly in the first place, so I don't think it's a huge loss. The inability to view DRMed video content (e.g. BBC iPlayer) is, however, somewhat irritating as it's the sort of thing that tablets should really be good at.

Personally, I'd say the best compromise would be something like Opera's on-demand plugin system, whereby plugins are replaced by a placeholder until you click on them. That way you could enjoy browsing normally without any plugin-spawned irritations but if you did come across a site that used plugins you would be able to enable them (and choose to waste your battery power if you so desired).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours