elfprince13 wrote:
The "fake rumored changes" listed here are brilliantly depressing: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/steven-greydanus/star-wars-blu-ray/
Before anyone reads the post and believes it comes out on the Thirteenth, a Tuesday, it doesn't. It comes out Friday, the 16th.

Interesting list, some of those would make for an interesting movie if they were real.
comicIDIOT wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
The "fake rumored changes" listed here are brilliantly depressing: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/steven-greydanus/star-wars-blu-ray/
Before anyone reads the post and believes it comes out on the Thirteenth, a Tuesday, it doesn't. It comes out Friday, the 16th.

Interesting list, some of those would make for an interesting movie if they were real.

I'd actually really like to see number 5...

All kidding aside, the addition of the "nooooooooooooooo" at the end of ep6 is the first and so far only change to have me concerned. All the others I can understand, as they're just aesthetics, but this one seems like it would ruin an otherwise perfect cinema moment. I guess I'd really have to see how exactly the new scene looks and feels before I can make a final judgement, but it really doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I'm also not sure I like the idea of a CGI Yoda, primarily because I have a soft-spot for puppets, but that also depends on how the effect is used; how much more they can do with it than they could with the puppet, and how much more "real" and expressive the character becomes.
Quote:
As far as I'm aware you simply can't get the films in their original form (for other films that have similarly been amended then yes, I have seen plenty of bootlegs but never for Star Wars) - they are very much gone. The Laserdisc version (as now released on DVD) is the closest you'll get, but as mentioned the quality is dreadful and for the sake of retaining film history the films should be available in their original form.

Don't worry, circa 1987 versions of Episode IV are still publicly available at the Library of Congress under the NFP Board in laserdisk, CED, and film strip form. Just saying that the end of the original films isn't here just yet.
DShiznit wrote:
I'm also not sure I like the idea of a CGI Yoda, primarily because I have a soft-spot for puppets, but that also depends on how the effect is used; how much more they can do with it than they could with the puppet, and how much more "real" and expressive the character becomes.

They're only replacing Yoda in The Phantom Menace, as the puppet they used in that film looked awful (certainly much worse than the puppet used in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi).
benryves wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

They're only replacing Yoda in The Phantom Menace, as the puppet they used in that film looked awful (certainly much worse than the puppet used in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi).

Oh really? Well in that case I'm ok with that. The only other change I'd consider making to phantom menace would be that stupid-as-hell "podracing" line at the end when he blows up the station. I found it detracting from the moment but maybe that's just me.
I don't want my son growing up in a world where Greedo shot first....We don't watch the Special Editions in this house
So now you nutcases are retroactively protesting the 1997 special edition? You do realize the the original unaltered films are pretty much unwatchable, right? I fell asleep the first time I watched it.
DShiznit wrote:
So now you nutcases are retroactively protesting the 1997 special edition? You do realize the the original unaltered films are pretty much unwatchable, right? I fell asleep the first time I watched it.

Retroactively? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_shot_first
DShiznit wrote:

I've had a problem with the 1997 versions since the first time I saw them. This is nothing new. There is a vague hope every time they release the films on a new format or in a new edition that they'd do what most other films do (i.e. provide the originals and the altered versions) but Lucas seems keen to get rid of the originals once and for all. The one concession is the very poor quality set of transfers in the DVD release.

I don't see how the originals are unwatchable, though, or if so how the 1997 versions make them any more watchable (unless it's from laughing at the hilariously poor CGI in the 1997 versions). They have made some improvements (the Blu-ray release finally gets rid of the Emperor's head slugs, for example, and the horrible Yoda puppet in Episode 1 has been replaced) but these tend to be relatively minor special effect fixes. The major scene changes or plot modifications (Jedi rocks, Han shooting second etc) far outweigh these.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours