http://social.entertainment.msn.com/movies/blogs/the-hitlist-blogpost.aspx?post=3a1c77a2-704f-4cc2-afd9-e754e95711fa

Apparently there have been more 'fixes' to the original 3 movies. Sad I am now thoroughly missing the old stuff greatly now, I should look to see if I can find them somewhere.

Anyways, He is supposedly replacing the puppet Yoda with a CGI one, giving the Ewoks eyes that blink and probably other things that could just be left well enough alone.
The most recent DVD release of the original trilogy comes with the original films on them as a bonus feature. Unfortunately, they've been sourced from the Laserdisc masters (with the exception of the opening crawl to Star Wars, which has had "Episode IV" removed) and are presented in a letterbox format; the picture quality is therefore rather lousy, and as no remastering work has been done on them the special effects trickery is plainly visible (garbage mattes abound) that wouldn't have been quite so noticeable on film.

On the plus side, at least you can get hold of the original Star Wars on a vaguely contemporary format. THX 1138 is still only available on DVD/Blu-ray in its CGI-"enhanced" director's cut. You have to love those "gravity defying mutant monkeys".
Don't they have the cut scenes too?
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44438647/ns/today-entertainment/?gt1=43001

Yes, they have scenes that never made it into the original. This one in the link was a good one to leave out.
I've posted this before, but it needs to be brought out again:

And as far as the deleted scenes go, this is pretty much a gem:

as is this lightsaber construction scene:
I really don't see the problem with this. The originals are still available on pirate websites if you want them(and always will be if you leave pirates alone). All the man is doing is using newer technology to do things he wanted to do all along but couldn't before. Besides, a lot had to be recreated in CG anyway for the 3-D versions he plans to release in the coming decade. Think of it this way, would you really rather pay again for the same exact film you already own and have seen a million times, or actually get something new for your money?
DShiznit wrote:
All the man is doing is using newer technology to do things he wanted to do all along but couldn't before.

Like the Vader-scream? HELL NO.
And I'm still upset about the terrible dub of Han's voice giving Luke the line "I think you'll find I'm full of surprises" in ESB from the last release (and the Hayden Christiansen force ghost).
elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
All the man is doing is using newer technology to do things he wanted to do all along but couldn't before.

Like the Vader-scream? HELL NO.
And I'm still upset about the terrible dub of Han's voice giving Luke the line "I think you'll find I'm full of surprises" in ESB from the last release (and the Hayden Christiansen force ghost).

The first one seems rather dumb, I admit, but the second one is an insignificant nitpick at best. The third actually made sense since that is what Anikan Skywalker is established to have looked like. It would have been stupid to continue to use this bald foppish jedi who looks nothing like the guy. I hate Hayden Christiansen as much as anyone, if not more, but like it or not, he is Anikan Skywalker, and the sooner we accept that, the better off we'll all be.

But I ask again, do you really want to spend more money on the same exact thing over and over?
I still have the three originals on VHS. I couldn't care less about the prequels.
DShiznit wrote:
But I ask again, do you really want to spend more money on the same exact thing over and over?

Yes. Star Wars doesn't get old (except for GL's f***-ups, those get old fast). Actually, I'd like to have one copy, in good shape, of the movie I watched as a child (even if Greedo shot first in that version, it doesn't have the same level of screwups that have been introduced since). And not have to buy it again. George screwing around like this makes it less likely I will ever give him money again, not more.

SirCmpwn: lucky, mine wore out from overuse. =(
elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Yes. Star Wars doesn't get old (except for GL's f***-ups, those get old fast). Actually, I'd like to have one copy, in good shape, of the movie I watched as a child (even if Greedo shot first in that version, it doesn't have the same level of screwups that have been introduced since). And not have to buy it again. George screwing around like this makes it less likely I will ever give him money again, not more.

SirCmpwn: lucky, mine wore out from overuse. =(

The last DVD release had the original unaltered trilogy included with it! With the Blu-Ray release they'll likely do exactly the same thing. Hell, with that format, they could include every version of each film, from the theatrical cuts, to every revision. Why should people who *want* to see these vastly dated films updated have to suffer because *you* want to be a goddamn purist?
DShiznit wrote:
The last DVD release had the original unaltered trilogy included with it!

With the Blu-Ray release they'll likely do exactly the same thing. Hell, with that format, they could include every version of each film, from the theatrical cuts, to every revision. Why should people who *want* to see these vastly dated films updated have to suffer because *you* want to be a goddamn purist?[/quote]
Remaster the audio, fine.
Digitally touch up the special effects, fine.
But don't alter the dialog or plot, because it's already clear that, in his current senility, Lucas is incapable of understanding how to do those things properly.

And, for that matter, why is there a trekkie in our Star Wars topic ranting about purism?
This is sad Sad

I actually bought the original star wars in original form on VHS for 25 cents at a yard sale, and I thought it was rather awesome. I noticed how the DVD remastered version at the time added Jabba the hut right before they left Mos Eisley, a few more scenes in the Death Star, and a few other things like remastered lasers and sabers. That remastered version was okay, since it really wasn't that much different, but more changes will kill it.
The real issue with Star Wars is that it forms an important part of film history, and not that it's an especially good series of films. As such the films should really be released in a form faithful to their original presentation; the only modern "meddling" would be to transfer them in high quality to modern media formats. As such the best we've got is some very lousy DVDs sourced from the Laserdisc masters (and as such we won't see a Blu-ray release in the same vein); as Lucas has recalled the film prints from circulation we're stuck with home video formats.

DShiznit wrote:
Why should people who *want* to see these vastly dated films updated have to suffer because *you* want to be a goddamn purist?

If you consider the films "vastly dated" then surely the post-1997 versions are equally "vastly dated", just with some really poorly added CGI slapped over the top? The changes stick out like a sore thumb and generally detract from the film rather than improve it (especially in the later DVDs with the screwed up colours).

If Lucas wants to clean up the garbage mattes, correct some of the dodgy compositing and recolour the black versions of props in blue-screen shots then those are changes I could live with (much like the digitally erased wires in Blade Runner). It's when he starts changing plot points or introducing special effects that clearly do not belong to the film that bother me.
benryves wrote:
The real issue with Star Wars is that it forms an important part of film history, and not that it's an especially good series of films. As such the films should really be released in a form faithful to their original presentation; the only modern "meddling" would be to transfer them in high quality to modern media formats. As such the best we've got is some very lousy DVDs sourced from the Laserdisc masters (and as such we won't see a Blu-ray release in the same vein); as Lucas has recalled the film prints from circulation we're stuck with home video formats.

DShiznit wrote:
Why should people who *want* to see these vastly dated films updated have to suffer because *you* want to be a goddamn purist?

If you consider the films "vastly dated" then surely the post-1997 versions are equally "vastly dated", just with some really poorly added CGI slapped over the top? The changes stick out like a sore thumb and generally detract from the film rather than improve it (especially in the later DVDs with the screwed up colours).

If Lucas wants to clean up the garbage mattes, correct some of the dodgy compositing and recolour the black versions of props in blue-screen shots then those are changes I could live with (much like the digitally erased wires in Blade Runner). It's when he starts changing plot points or introducing special effects that clearly do not belong to the film that bother me.

Then watch the original unaltered films and leave the rest of us alone. Here, you can get them right here:

*torrent links are not allowed on the forums*

They aren't gone by any measure, you just need to take the pole out of your ass and go get them from where they still circulate, and stop demanding the man release exactly what you want in exactly the format you want. You'll likely get your unaltered trilogy on the Blu-Ray anyway. Why can't everyone get what they want? Why does it have to be just you?
DShiznit wrote:
Why can't everyone get what they want? Why does it have to be just you?

Nobody wants Greedo to shoot first, or the Vader-scream, or Hayden Christensen, or crappy dubbing.
elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Nobody wants Greedo to shoot first, or the Vader-scream, or Hayden Christensen, or crappy dubbing.

Obviously one person does Razz
I mean really Han was a smuggler, do you really expect it to matter to him who shot first, honor is not really an issue to a guy breaking as many laws as him.
DShiznit wrote:
Then watch the original unaltered films and leave the rest of us alone. Here, you can get them right here:

*torrent links are not allowed on the forums*

They aren't gone by any measure

As far as I'm aware you simply can't get the films in their original form (for other films that have similarly been amended then yes, I have seen plenty of bootlegs but never for Star Wars) - they are very much gone. The Laserdisc version (as now released on DVD) is the closest you'll get, but as mentioned the quality is dreadful and for the sake of retaining film history the films should be available in their original form.

Quote:

Er, it's not just me. I guess you've missed the outrage every time a new version of Star Wars is released that further modifies the films. I had yet to find anyone who prefers the post-1997 versions to the originals, though evidently you will be the first on the list...
The "fake rumored changes" listed here are brilliantly depressing: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/steven-greydanus/star-wars-blu-ray/

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours