i need the ms-dos installation disks(floppy) does ne1 kno where to dl the files? i need them asap
you can't download them, it is a Microsoft OS. I might have some lying around I could "sell" you.
is there a way to pull it out of win95 or 98 installation?

also i have a 40 gig hdd in my laptop, but it will only format as 15mb i dont get it
wdf? maybe it's a driver problem?

or maybe you just need to format it as some other format... try FAT32...

EDIT: if this thread starts heading the wrong way, i will lock it... sry
patl411 wrote:
is there a way to pull it out of win95 or 98 installation?

also I have a 40 gig hdd in my laptop, but it will only format as 15mb I dont get it

any windows can create an MS-DOS boot disk - for older windows, just right click on the floppy, and hit FORMAT - then choose MSDOS (i think this changed on winXP, but i don't remember)

You can also download MS-DOS freely off the web, just google for it, lol
on the HDD isue, if he was using FAT16, the max size it 8GB, but Windows only allows 4Gb, FAT32 in Windows is 32gb, and NTFS is 2TB in Windows
Just put command.com on a floppy disk...or make an Emergency Repair disk, that's essentially DOS.
but i need to install dos so i can use a lan thing to install windows 98
all you should need is put your 98 cd in and do like a make-book network or something. The one problem I see with remote install is you might need a DNS server
rivereye wrote:
all you should need is put your 98 cd in and do like a make-book network or something. The one problem I see with remote install is you might need a DNS server

no not quite, the lan card has a tool to install on dos that will let u access network files thats wut i need. there is no cd drive on the laptop so this is the only way i can do this
you can put the cd in another computer, in fact, you have to. 9of couse, I am not sure if RIS would work with 98, but I know it would with 2k)
i got dos 7.1 now, but it says it cant run the setup and but the lan card disk says thats how to do it, so i need lan on dos now
Very Happy I have done this before:

Bart's Network Boot Disk
ok how exactly do i use this?
any1 kno a good tool to format and partition a hitachi hdd?
patl411 wrote:
ok how exactly do I use this?
any1 kno a good tool to format and partition a hitachi hdd?

Use whatever OS you are going to be installing on it/accessing it with to format/partition it.

As for the hdd limits, it is also due to the BIOS limitations, so if you can't access all your drive space, update your BIOS (if you can)
the laptop is a toshiba satellite 110ct i doubt i can, the only os i can fit on it is ms-dos, but its a 40 gig hdd Sad it says 15mb tho

EDIT i found an update, so let me see
well idk if it changed nething at all
definately still reads as 15.6mb
patl411 wrote:
EDIT I found an update, so let me see
well idk if it changed nething at all
definately still reads as 15.6mb

you have to reformat it for it to recognize all 40gb. Just boot off of your windows CD, and reformat it using that
i did reformat, i used the win95 FLOPPY there is no cd drive and no i cant put 1 in
hmm.. that is indeed strange. Take the hdd out of it and use your desktop (or whatever your newest computer is) to format it from within windows as FAT32 (for pre-XP) or NTFS (for winXP). DO make sure you are deleting all the paritions on the drive (and save/write the changes to disk), then recreating the partitions on the drive, THEN reformatting
its kinda hard to put a laptop hdd into a pc. im supposed to b gettin an adapter from a friend, but he keeps forgetting

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours