Blah, I thought that this hurricane would just be a heavy storm, boy was I wrong, no power for one and a half days, and about 4 (I think, I dont remember) of no internet....

Oh well, least I am back now, a it was hard for me to not have internet x.x
qazz42 wrote:
Blah, I thought that this hurricane would just be a heavy storm, boy was I wrong, no power for one and a half days, and about 4 (I think, I dont remember) of no internet....

Really? I'm only a few miles from Long Island, and we barely felt it at all, let alone losing power and internet. I guess you're more exposed out there, not to mention elevated utilities.
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:

Really? I'm only a few miles from Long Island, and we barely felt it at all, let alone losing power and internet. I guess you're more exposed out there, not to mention elevated utilities.

yeah, it was horrible, a few trees were knocked over, and you can not imagine how the storm affected my cat, the hurricane must have messed with her somehow, she forgot who everyone was and ran up a tree because I looked at her (something which does not normally happen....)
I don't think a few trees knocked over and a scared cat are the end of the world compared with houses getting washed out to sea and whole towns disappearing in some hurricanes, but I appreciate the traumatic qualities of the incident. Wink
KermMartian wrote:
I don't think a few trees knocked over and a scared cat are the end of the world compared with houses getting washed out to sea and whole towns disappearing in some hurricanes, but I appreciate the traumatic qualities of the incident. Wink

Vermont actually was hit pretty severely, but everyone has come together as small towns are wont to do. Here's a pretty cool story about one town that is cut off: http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/30/vermont.town.flooding/

and a horseback rider bringing in medical supplies for another cut off town:

That said, I hardly even noticed the storm and neither my college campus nor my home were affected in the least.
Oh yeah, I didn't mean to minimize Vermont; I heard that you guys have had massive flooding, Maine too. I just think that New York and Long Island didn't get hit horribly hard. Smile
KermMartian wrote:

Actually, horrible was the wrong word. it was partially irritating... I was asleep for the worst of the storm, I somehow slept through it O_o

this was right after power went out too
Many VT kids still can't drive to school, so instead they have been walking to school pretty literally "over the mountain and through the woods".
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/12/us/12winerip.html

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours