Please tell me you have at least played the original Lego Island? In fact I think I should fire it up and see if I can make a Freebuild map for it. There are plenty of great building spots and it would be fun as heck to recreate. But first I'd have to learn map making and figure out the tools, but that isn't the end of the world.
Only very minimally since Lego didn't really support Macs back in the day.
It's such a wonderful game. You should try to get a copy to run on your Vista thingy.
merthsoft wrote:
It's such a wonderful game. You should try to get a copy to run on your Vista thingy.

I'll take that under advisement Wink
elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
except they're zombies, zombies are supposed to look diseased or dead. Lego yellow is what's healthy for legos, and therefore would make for poor zombies.

oh, right.
Quote:
That wouldn't work with TGE 1.2's skinning system, which requires an individual power of 8 texture for each skin(and each texture has it's own header data which further adds to the filesize).

So make it 8x8. this is 136 bytes. You could have 600 of these and it would probably end up being smaller than a single one of the textures you are using now (which are what, 65kB each?) Not very elegant, but certainly workable.

A better solution would be to have 2 additional zombie models each with a different skin color and different limbs/chunks of flesh missing.
LEGO...train... simulator?! WHY HAS NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS BEFORE????????
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Loco
DShiznit wrote:

A better solution would be to have 2 additional zombie models each with a different skin color and different limbs/chunks of flesh missing.

Probably. I'm just pointing out that monochromatic textures shouldn't take up THAT much space.
several hours of modeling, animating, scripting, and head bashing later:

Looks cool, DShiznit. I bet it took a while to get all that working. You should make something that "rots" each minifig a little over time, replacing arms and legs with skeletons every few minutes.
CyberPrime wrote:
Looks cool, DShiznit. I bet it took a while to get all that working. You should make something that "rots" each minifig a little over time, replacing arms and legs with skeletons every few minutes.
Oooooh, very clever. Sounds like CemetechAI needs some zombies in it. Very Happy
CyberPrime wrote:

That would require an ungodly number of additional player datablocks to load the progressively worse shapes. Trying to do this with smooth animations instead would entail adding additional bones to the skeleton, which would render all the old animations incompatible.

In Freebuild, however, it will be possible to swap parts out at will, and I'll give your idea a shot when I have a chance to play with that engine.
DShiznit wrote:
In Freebuild, however, it will be possible to swap parts out at will, and I'll give your idea a shot when I have a chance to play with that engine.

How is your progress on personal projects with T3D looking on that front?
elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

How is your progress on personal projects with T3D looking on that front?

I haven't even started yet, having put all my time into making what might be the final release of "The Orange Block" on the blockland engine something I'm actually satisfied with. That'll all be over in about 2 weeks though, at which point I still have that gay zombie idea I want to pursue.
Good luck! Between having you and Swivel helping out, I'm excited to have the help.
Oh I can't wait. I'll likely also show a lot of what I make to my art teacher, like I did last year for extra credit.

On a semi-related note, were you serious about doing commercial projects after freebuild? Because I've been putting together a plan for college where I defer admission for a few years while dealing with my medical stuff and pulling the money together, and use that time to work on your commercial projects to help save up some cash and gain valuable experience.
DShiznit wrote:
On a semi-related note, were you serious about doing commercial projects after freebuild? Because I've been putting together a plan for college where I defer admission for a few years while dealing with my medical stuff and pulling the money together, and use that time to work on your commercial projects to help save up some cash and gain valuable experience.

We should definitely have a conversation about that, either on G+, Steam, or Facebook.
elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

We should definitely have a conversation about that, either on G+, Steam, or Facebook.

Totally.

Boom baby. While I came up with the idea and did the modeling(mostly porting very finicky ldraw parts, though there were some changes I made to how it's rendered in the engine as well as a clever animation trick to get it aligned with the old skeleton) Wiggy is the one who coded this in, and thus he deserves the lion's share of the credit. There's still some work to be done(clonebots don't work with it, for example) but I think it looks fantastic so far. What do you guys think?
Great work DShiz =) How do the legs work?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours