Compynerd255 wrote:
Okay. This is cool. Really cool. I've been waiting for this ever since Calcnet even came out.

Let me verify - Does this only work with the ticalc and Cemetech archives, or does this also work as an intranet transfer program?
Both of these things. And willrandship, I think you were asking the same thing.

Elfprince (and others), please enjoy this screenshot of completed handshaking. Among other things, notice how the requesting calculator gets its remote pane changed from hashed to clear when the connection succeeds. The only thing missing is a window on the "slave" side that indicates it is connected, and provides a button to sever the connection.

Holy cats that looks good. Keep it up, dude Smile
merthsoft wrote:
Holy cats that looks good. Keep it up, dude Smile
Thanks a lot, and thanks for contributing your name to the demo. Wink
Nice! Very Nice!

This beats the crap out of TI's classroom set for sure, and accomplishes the same function (distribute files to the whole class for lessons) plus it's less complicated hardware!

Question: If TI offered to buy calcNet's tech from you, would you do it? Razz
TI buying third-party stuff that improved the functionality of their older models that they want to die as soon as possible ? Very Happy
Maybe they could use it for the nspire! Razz
willrandship wrote:
Nice! Very Nice!

This beats the crap out of TI's classroom set for sure, and accomplishes the same function (distribute files to the whole class for lessons) plus it's less complicated hardware!

Question: If TI offered to buy calcNet's tech from you, would you do it? Razz
Thanks, Willrandship. As Lionel says, I don't really see that happening at all. Since I've freely released the source and plans, in fact, I could easily see them "borrowing" some ideas from CALCnet. I'm happy to hear from Adriweb that the TI hardware devs are at least impressed with my work, though. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Compynerd255 wrote:
Okay. This is cool. Really cool. I've been waiting for this ever since Calcnet even came out.

Let me verify - Does this only work with the ticalc and Cemetech archives, or does this also work as an intranet transfer program?
Both of these things. And willrandship, I think you were asking the same thing.

Elfprince (and others), please enjoy this screenshot of completed handshaking. Among other things, notice how the requesting calculator gets its remote pane changed from hashed to clear when the connection succeeds. The only thing missing is a window on the "slave" side that indicates it is connected, and provides a button to sever the connection.

http://www.cemetech.net/img/projects/sandpaper/sandpaper_connect.gif

Looking awesome! Very nice work! We should schedule a time to test out the Mac build of the gcnclient sometime soon as well.
We absolutely should; I can't believe we forgot to do it when I was local to you in Maine. Sad And thanks.
Looks great! Can't wait to test it out.
mobutu4 wrote:
Looks great! Can't wait to test it out.
Thanks very much. I'm working on a few little visual tweaks now, then I can start the meat of the code to build and transfer file lists.
I brought up the possibility of using calcpkg to interface with ticalc.org's repository on IRC, and Kerm asked me to look into it and make a post. So I am. Smile

Running 'calcpkg list -c 83plus ""' will list everything in the 83+ category on ticalc.org. (Likewise, 'calcpkg get -c 83plus ""' would download the entire 83+ archive).

However, that's not very useful if you want to be able to browse by category. (And I'm guessing transferring third-party OSes is slightly beyond the scope of the project). But what you can do is run 'calcpkg list -c 83plus/asm ""', which will only list assembly programs for the 83+. And so on- you could do -c 83plus/asm/games/levels/penguins to list all files in that category.

What calcpkg doesn't have, at least not directly, is a list of all the categories. But it does have an index file with the names of every single file in them (including their category), so it would be trivial to write a script to extract a list of all categories from that index. (Actually, I just realized that the output of the update command already does this, so I suppose I could dump them to a file while I'm at it).

If a user selects a specific file, you could run the info command (calcpkg info -c 83plus name) and the download command (calcpkg get -x-c 83plus filename). The x switch extracts the zip (or tarball), which would easily let them look inside the zip.

You might want to write your own script that uses the ticalcDotOrg module, though. First, even though I did build redirectable output into the module (you can specify a Python object with a write function, and all the output will be sent to that function), it might be a little annoying to intercept and parse that output. Second, since two ticalc.org files can't have the same archive name but can have the same title, it would be safer to run "calcpkg info|get -f archive_file_name" (that searches for the filename rather than the title). But the list command doesn't show you the archive filename.

I can easily fix that, and I can make update generate a "categories.index" file, but you still might decide to use your own script. In that case, all the commands I listed above are easily translatable to arguments for various functions in ticalcDotOrg.ticalc.
I'm a bit tired, so I need to read your post a bit more carefully. It sounds like it could help a lot, and perhaps I could even (if you have time) get your assistance to write or help to write the FTPHub bridge. I'm imagining browsing the archives like an FTP folder, with folders for subcategories and "files" for zip archives, with the archives enterable to see contents like .8x* files and readmes, perhaps, in some complex version, with readmes transferrable in some converted form.

Let me also show you all this DCS GUI "multithreading" (just preemptive multitasking via mousehooks for animation during network handling) hotness. Real file list construction code starts tomorrow!
Thomas - "Slaved to Kerm"

Nice touch Wink
elfprince13 wrote:
Thomas - "Slaved to Kerm"

Nice touch Wink
Totally unintentional, I swear. Very Happy I'm starting to sketch together the routine to create a file list now.
I just finished writing a Python script that uses calcpkg to produce a tree structure of files and folders. It then returns an array containing the five uppermost folders (asm, basic, bbcbasic, flash, os). It also only happens to be in Python- it doesn't use the ticalcDotOrg module or anything, and it invokes calcpkg as though it were a regular program. (I could have written it the other way, but I guess I wanted to see how feasible it was to do it this way).

I did have to patch calcpkg somewhat to make this work, but I didn't have to add any features (just fix a bug).

It is rather costly in terms of runtime, though, so it'd be something to run once a day or so.
Very impressive, I'll have to look at that from you at some point. Let me show you all this little spec, and tell me if I'm missing anything major:

Code:
GenerateFileList:
   ;Inputs:
   ;  bc=folder to list
   ;   Special folders:
   ;     $ff,$00 - Programs/Appvars
   ;     $ff,$01 - Pictures
   ;     $ff,$02 - Matrices
   ;     $ff,$03 - Strings
   ;     $ff,$04 - Lists
   ;     $ff,$05 - Groups
   ;     $ff,$06 - GDBs
   ;    Normal folders are $00,$xx
   ;  e=mode to use, 0 for size, 1 for populate
   ;  hl=pointer to mem, used only if e=1
   ;Outputs:
   ;  hl=size for mode 0, or data written for mode 1
   ;  b=number of programs (mode 0 only)
What about transferring applications and Y/R/other graphing variables? It would be handy to be able to copy settings and modes from other calculators as well.
elfprince13 wrote:
What about transferring applications and Y/R/other graphing variables? It would be handy to be able to copy settings and modes from other calculators as well.
I'm pretty set on not dealing with Applications, because I really don't feel like handling all the Flash-writing shenanigans. I was assuming that transferring programs wouldn't really require graph variables or reals, so I was hoping I could just ignore them. Even GDBs are borderline, imho.
Would it be possible to transfer entire DCS folders?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours