http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43859868/ns/technology_and_science-space/?GT1=43001

This is an article explaining the largest body of water to exist in the universe (That they've located thus far) that is surrounding a quasar.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43868922/ns/technology_and_science-space/

Sadly, this article came a bit late, but some might have known about it before hand and were able to see this. It seems Jupiter and the Moon were really visible last night.

Just a couple of topics I thought would be interesting discussion. Smile
Holy frejole! 300 Trillion times more water than exists on Earth, spanning over 100 lightyears! That's unimaginable...
Is that the set water jets coming out of some spacial structure? I think I remember reading about that somewhere else, maybe when you posted it on SAX. Also thanks for teaching me that there's a real word called Spacial, not just Spatial!
KermMartian wrote:
Is that the set water jets coming out of some spacial structure? I think I remember reading about that somewhere else, maybe when you posted it on SAX. Also thanks for teaching me that there's a real word called Spacial, not just Spatial!


Lol, what an interesting accident, I didn't remember about spatial until you brought it up, I was only making a guess and it didn't kick 'spacial' back as a misspelled word, so I went with it.

@Dshiznit:

I agree. The amount of resources that are out in space have got to be mind boggling.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44006008/ns/technology_and_science-space/

An article discussing the possibility of a Mars sized planet that crashed into the Earth, that caused the moon's existence. I'm not sure how valid that thought is, but we are mere infants where it comes to knowing about space, so I guess anything is possible,
Hmm, that's definitely possible, but I don't think it's true.
I don't see how else it could have happened, from what I understand, the moon contains very similar materials to the Earth, indicating it was once a part of this world. At the same time, it's too massive to have been caught by our gravity as a passing object.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44022462/ns/technology_and_science-space/

Seems they think there might be water flowing on the warmer parts of the planet every so often Very Happy
Oh wow. That would mean there's a strong possibility that microbial life still exists on the planet. And if we could find a fossilized or frozen mammalian organism, with preserved mitochondria...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44113835/ns/technology_and_science-space/

Now this is interesting. A planet has been found that doesn't reflect back but 1% of the light that hits it. It is compared to that of being darker than coal.
This is so cool. If only the 'gods of capitalism' would allow us to actually try to visit strange new worlds, even in our own solar system... I guess will just have to keep dreaming...
DShiznit wrote:
This is so cool. If only the 'gods of capitalism' would allow us to actually try to visit strange new worlds, even in our own solar system... I guess will just have to keep dreaming...


*eyeroll*

We're getting there.
http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/08/15/7378273-astronaut-catches-a-falling-star

I thought this was interesting, an astronaut from the space station caught a picture of a falling star. Rather interesting to see one from this particular angle.

Also, please keep politics out of this thread. This thread is for the sole purpose of showing off awesome finds from space, not who's fault it is that we're not exploring. :/
tifreak8x wrote:
http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/08/15/7378273-astronaut-catches-a-falling-star

I thought this was interesting, an astronaut from the space station caught a picture of a falling star. Rather interesting to see one from this particular angle.

Also, please keep politics out of this thread. This thread is for the sole purpose of showing off awesome finds from space, not who's fault it is that we're not exploring. :/


There would be a hell of a lot more to show if we weren't holding ourselves back like this for the sake of ideology. But I digress.

Back on topic: I hope that image is severely cropped, otherwise that's a really sh!tty photo for someone who's been taking pictures for 4 and a half months...
SpaceX is going to the ISS on November 30th with their Dragon capsule.
Who's SpaceX and what is a Dragon Capsule?
DShiznit wrote:
Who's SpaceX and what is a Dragon Capsule?


I concur with this. Links please?
use teh google
allynfolksjr wrote:
use teh google

I concur with this.

Y'all should be staying up on commercial space flight nowadays.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SpaceX+Dragon+ISS

(though to be fair, the Falcon 9 is better known than the Dragon)
Yes, well, to be fair, I'VE been providing links that go directly to articles explaining cool space like things. :p
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 17
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement