willrandship wrote:
That's why you get a nice OLED one, but those are pretty expensive.

Uh, there aren't any OLED monitors yet.

Quote:
I live with cheapo cases all the time. It's worth the pain to save $80.

No, it isn't. You've never used a real case, so you just don't know what you're missing. You know what they say, "ignorance is bliss"
I've put together real cases, for other people, and right now I'm using a computer whose CPU fan has a bad bearing, and is very high pitched, but still cools fine. So I live with it. I know what it's like to use quiet cases.

Also, Dells and HPs are much more expensive than handbuilt cheapies.
Um, I've never seen any Dell or HP computer that's cheaper than a handbuilt computer. It would be pretty hard to beat their prices, mostly because they get discounts for buying in bulk and mass-production.
but then you get big markups on everything, through retail mostly. You're not buying them in bulk, and they assemble it for you.

I see lots way more expensive than handbuilts. It seems like, if their prices are lower than per-part, it would be better to buy PCs for parts than to buy individual pieces Razz
OK, I guess some of you would like to know how this turned out, and some of you don't give a a. For those very few of you who care:

After much internal deliberation, I decided to go with a laptop. I got this one at $150 off the listed price. I'm pretty happy with it, but it's too soon to know how good it is. I killed windows on the first day, and installed Linux. (See this thread for details) Thanks for the help everyone.

EDIT: Link fixed.
seana11 wrote:
(See this thread for details) Thanks for the help everyone.
That's your profile, I don't know what thread you're referring to so could you help by pointing us to the correct topic?
seana11 wrote:
OK, I guess some of you would like to know how this turned out, and some of you don't give a a. For those very few of you who care:

After much internal deliberation, I decided to go with a laptop. I got this one at $150 off the listed price. I'm pretty happy with it, but it's too soon to know how good it is. I killed windows on the first day, and installed Linux. (See this thread for details) Thanks for the help everyone.
Looks pretty good to me, good choice. And good thing you got a good price!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours