Before I start dabbling in C++ on my FX-CG10, I figured I'd learn the BASIC Language on it. It's mildly different than the TI-BASIC from the 84 that I'm use to.

Is anyone willing to compile notes into a Google Document to correlate the differences between TI & Casio in this case? Such as "'Locate' is the same as 'Output' on the Casio, the arguments are also identical." Perhaps we could even jot down the keystrokes to locate the tokens. Once we cover the transition we can start a basic programing guide.

From Googling and help from a topic on CasioCalc are helping. Seeing that the guide is from 2005, I say we make an update tutorial and switcher guide.

Code:
:0->A
:0->B
:0->C

Shorthand

Code:
:0->A~C
This is a superb idea. I think some other interesting things are the "disp" character and the explicit newlines. I'll have to go through tomorrow or soon and jot down the things I discovered while experimenting.
Sounds good, I'll open the Spreadsheet to your Google Account.
I would also like to help out. Highlight me on IRC if you need my email address.
I added you to it, Tanner. Smile Let's also continue discussing it here as we work on it, though, so people can contribute their own thoughts. Hey, you know what would be cool? Something that could literally turn TI-BASIC programs into CASIO BASIC programs. Very Happy
Same here; I'd like to help.
Raylin, mind PMing me your Google Account? I'll add you to it.

KermMartian wrote:
I added you to it, Tanner. Smile Let's also continue discussing it here as we work on it, though, so people can contribute their own thoughts. Hey, you know what would be cool? Something that could literally turn TI-BASIC programs into CASIO BASIC programs. Very Happy
Source Coder 3.0? I was actually thinking today that once we complete this token table, it'd be a neat project to make a conversion token table for Source Coder
I'd be glad to help.
I PM'ed you, comicIDIOT. Smile
I've added you to both documents. One is a table for the tokens and the other is a word document for notes that can't be expressed in columns and rows.
Ashbad, Raylin, at least a SourceCoder that supported Casio token/detokenization, I think, then a converter would be as easy as some find/replacing. And Raylin, don't you have a book to finish? Wink Those of you who want to help with the table we're building, ask one of us to share the two Google docs that comic mentioned with you.
I'd like to join. I've already made a few Prizm Basic games in my spare time and I've even converted programs from 83+ to Prizm before.
z80man wrote:
I'd like to join. I've already made a few Prizm Basic games in my spare time and I've even converted programs from 83+ to Prizm before.
Nifty! What comments do you have about the approach you used, and any shortcomings you found?
There's a document for that, KermM. z80man, do one of us have your Google Account so you can be added? I don't see you on either documents at the moment.
comicIDIOT wrote:
There's a document for that, KermM. z80man, do one of us have your Google Account so you can be added? I don't see you on either documents at the moment.
Indeed there is, but I figured we could get him started on expressing his thoughts. Wink
The main point that you need to remember with Casio Basic is that drawing is extremely slow. This is for both line and pixel commands. One program I made for both the 83+ and Prizm was a rotating 3d cube example. Based off my tests the Prizm generated the rotation data and the 2d rendered points faster than the 83+ did. But because the 83+ could draw faster it ran the program faster. The Prizm ran it at about 1 frame every 5 seconds while the 83+ was at 1 fps. The program could've been optimized more for speed but because they were coded on both calcs identically it was a fair comparison. When it comes to math only programs such as generating pi or a list of all prime numbers the Prizm could outpace the 83+ by a much larger margin.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours